• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dream Tac Compact for hiking?

Ok back to asking to many questions. Planning out what to save for next...

I have been trying to find a ideal backpacking airgun. Folding is fine. And i think that opens up some options. I have a Leshiy. I love it.... but something is lacking. Maybe the single feed or pushing it to the 900s. It also has a small cylinder.

Waiting to see how the Lelya will turn out long term for now.

but I have been thinking.... what about a Dream Tac Compact. In maybe .177. I don’t have that caliber yet, so that would be a plus. I think with some of the after market mods, it would be easy to get a compact to fire a .177 heavy slug in the 900s, no? And with a folding stock it would be easy to pack and carry in a backpack....?

any experience / thoughts?

Gabe

I think the Dream Tac compact is just under 22" when folded, not including any scope overhang. That's already pretty close to the Lelya plus I assume it would be thicker than the Lelya when folded. 

I'm not sure if the shroud could be shortened & modified & allow for a moderator to be threaded on in the field. I'm sure it could, I just don't know how much. 

Your Leshiy, on the other hand, could have a 350mm or even a 450mm slug barrel made for it. Folded length could be as short as the barrel plus the extra length of the DonnyFl clamp on adapter if you didn't mind taking a moderator on/off in the field.

I'm in the same situation. I have a Leshiy & hike every day. Had no intention of shooting slugs until I found a small population of Fox Squirrel in the National Forest near my house. Can't get nearly as close to them as the much more common Red Squirrel. 

I do have a 350 on the Leshiy. I didn’t know they have 450mm barrels for it. That would be great. 

that’s too bad that the compact folded is still 22 inches. Your right it’s not much less then a Lelya or a Uragan compact. But I guess the barrel is still a bit longer. More travel to build up velocity ?

Actually I think the Lelya & Dream Tac compact have the same length barrel.

Brian from Edgun West posted a picture of a Leshiy recently with two, 100mm extensions threaded together. If you find his profile it should be easy to find. 

Somebody else posted a thread about machining a slug barrel for a Leshiy. I can post it & the other thread in the morning. 

I do have a 350 on the Leshiy. I didn’t know they have 450mm barrels for it. That would be great. 

that’s too bad that the compact folded is still 22 inches. Your right it’s not much less then a Lelya or a Uragan compact. But I guess the barrel is still a bit longer. More travel to build up velocity ?

What hurts the Fx is it’s not a bullpup. What helps the Fx is it’s not a bullpup. The pellet liner is 12.75”. Once you hang a can on the end of the Fx, it becomes a normal size gun as far as I’m concerned. Your Edgun is where it’s at for what you want. I’ll bet that Lelya will shoot slugs. 

Getting a DreamTac Compact to shoot slugs in .177 is doable. The question is, how many shots are you expecting? If you install the standard Dreamline .177 barrel, you can fit the added plenum. I suggest you get a spare bottle for increased shot count to keep the gun itself light. I have that configuration less the plenum and am getting about 60 shots a fill. I changed the .25 light barrel to the standard .177 barrel. The reg is set at 145, and I have it set to .22/.177, min. Didn't do the chrony, but that combination id good at 50 yard 1 1/2" groups. Good enough for squirrels.

Let us know how the slugs work out with an STX barrel.

Getting a DreamTac Compact to shoot slugs in .177 is doable. The question is, how many shots are you expecting? If you install the standard Dreamline .177 barrel, you can fit the added plenum. I suggest you get a spare bottle for increased shot count to keep the gun itself light. I have that configuration less the plenum and am getting about 60 shots a fill. I changed the .25 light barrel to the standard .177 barrel. The reg is set at 145, and I have it set to .22/.177, min. Didn't do the chrony, but that combination id good at 50 yard 1 1/2" groups. Good enough for squirrels.

Let us know how the slugs work out with an STX barrel.

You just turned to compact back into a standard Dreamtac. 

What hurts the Fx is it’s not a bullpup. What helps the Fx is it’s not a bullpup. The pellet liner is 12.75”. Once you hang a can on the end of the Fx, it becomes a normal size gun as far as I’m concerned. Your Edgun is where it’s at for what you want. I’ll bet that Lelya will shoot slugs.

Yes those are good points. I didn’t realize it would still be that long folded. My hope was to get a air gun around 20 inches folded. As that seems to be the sweet spot for medium back packs . The Eberlestock cherry bomb is 24 inches. However on a guy like me that a big and clumsy pack for day hikes. The Lelya is just at 23 or so and when you add the BAT to it, it becomes 25 inches I think. I love the quality no doubt. It’s a wonderful airgun.

I guess I was hoping the Dream Compact would be close to a Leshiy 350mm but be able to run the pellets a little hotter.

we shall keep looking folks, lol. It’s a adventure 

I’m the guy who made a slug .25 for my Leshiy. It’s accurate enough to shoot far but doing it is a separate matter. Going to build another slug barrel for it but this time I am going to try .177. Maybe in a week or two. Still working on my Fx compact right now.

You can’t shoot slugs from the current Leshiy barre? I feed mine griffin slugs in .22 no problem? Is it a accuracy / twist ratio you are talking about?

I’m the guy who made a slug .25 for my Leshiy. It’s accurate enough to shoot far but doing it is a separate matter. Going to build another slug barrel for it but this time I am going to try .177. Maybe in a week or two. Still working on my Fx compact right now.

You can’t shoot slugs from the current Leshiy barre? I feed mine griffin slugs in .22 no problem? Is it a accuracy / twist ratio you are talking about?

I think he's talking about how twitchy the gun is. Turns out the picture from Brian that I mentioned was in Vetmx's thread about his Leshiy slug barrel. He mentions in the first post that the gun is violent.

And the long Leshiy barrel that Brian pictured seems to be 550mm, not 450mm. Here is the thread:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/leshiy-25-slugger/

This is the 450mm barrel:

https://airgunheaven.com/en/edgun-leshiy-punishera-450mm-barrel-25