Norica Dream Hunter .22

New rifle for me today! Wanted an underlever for a long time, stuff like the tx200hc is not in my budget ATM. There is not a lot of info on this gun, but I found decent deal on 1 and went for it.
1000001699.jpg

It has an 11mm dovetail so I mounted a Williams peep sight on there. So far I like, but have to figure something out for the 2 screws that used to hold the rear sight on there.
1 of the only YouTube reviews took it out of the box and fired it almost immediately. Big cloud of oil mist, and a loud bang. I decided from that I was going to tear it down for a basic lube/tune before shooting it at all. Some good, some bad as you might expect on a budget friendly rifle. No grease on the spring, really cheap rear spring guide, and a fair amount of goop on the piston/ forward of that in front of the seal. The upside the machining inside the cylinder was surprisingly good, did do some removing of very mild burrs around the holes and cocking channel. I ended up heating squaring 1 end, and flat grinding both ends of the spring to improve on the factory work there.

1000001696.jpg

The breakdown of this rifle is not as easy as some others I have done. Mainly do to the trigger block which is installed in a way that you have to hold the spring in place while removing the trigger block out of that rectangular hole in the tube. Makes for less safe operation than it should be. All back together now with moly and tar in the places it should be. A well dressed spring that should be more in line, and a freshly cleaned barrel. I took 5 shots with it just to see what I am working with at this point.
1000001698.jpg

No sighting in has been done, and not broken in. These are the first 5 shots with it ever. Inside in poor lighting with cphp ammo. The first 1 still went off with a good Crack, each of the next 4 were a much smoother quieter shot cycle. Am hoping for some decent weather tomorrow so I can get some chrony numbers. Right now I am optimistic this is going to be a fun rifle to have with the all weather stock, and traditional sights. If anyone else has 1 I would be interested in hearing you experience with the DH.

Another little bit of indoor shooting today. Rws super-h pellets this time. Groups shrank enough to bother with some elevation adjustment. This is 15 shot string gradually moving the elevation towards the bull.
1000001702.jpg

Dialed in enough to put some extra distance between me and the target once the rain clears out. Really nice smooth shot cycle at this point, am optimistic in this being a nice hunter. The trigger is non-adjustable 2stage. It is a metal trigger, and not overly heavy at the final stage.
I tried to get a pic of the uncocked spring path now that i have done the work to get everything smoothed out in there. Makes a nice straight line now. The factory install definitely had a bow in the spring path to 1 side where the ends were not properly squared before install.
1000001701.jpg

The way it sits right now, I have no further plans to modify anything. Just gonna shoot the heck out of it and throw a bunch of different lead through it to see what it likes best. Will probably get some chrony numbers, and actual trigger pull weight measurements this afternoon.

Indoor with 4 different pellets now that some sight adjustments were made. Although no further adjustments were made during this test. Some of the variation is definitely me offhand after a pot of coffee...
1000001708.jpg

From left to right cphp, rws super hp, AA Diablo field, and Daisy precision max hp. All 5 shot groups.
Also a dB meter test of the indoor report. Not super quiet, max 97 dB.
1000001703.jpg

Got outside for a minute. Outdoor sound readings definitely a bit softer.
1000001709.jpg

Trigger pull reading quite favorable at just around 2lbs, unmodified factory trigger. First stage is real long, there are worse things. 2nd has a nice defined wall when you come up to it.
1000001724.jpg

Chrony test only done with RWS Super hp, 14.2 g. Average fps, 671.07 as measured over an 11 shot group. Total deviation of 15.1 fps. FPE=14.2. I expect to see that deviation shrink as it breaks in, for about 50 shots through so far, not bad!
1000001723.jpg

Looks like it likes those Daisy pointed pellets well enuff. Which makes for low cost shooting. And pointed to boot. So what's the rifle and it's caliber?
It's a Norica dream hunter, underlever .22 Interestingly enough I would have agreed with you on the daisy pellets. Once I moved outside, and got to shooting 15, and 20 yards the RWS super hp are the clear winner from an accuracy and group size.

Glad to see your success with this platform.
Thank you....unfortunately it looks like the rifle has a perfect name....everything is out of season here so I will be "dreaming about hunting" for a while. Pest control is an option though...this place is loaded with starlings.

Sing a Song of Sixpence​

By Mother Goose

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing—
Wasn't that a dainty dish
To set before the king?

The king was in the counting-house
Counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlor
Eating bread and honey,

The maid was in the garden
Hanging out the clothes.
Along came a blackbird
And snipped off her nose.

Reactions: Bam86 and bf1956
New rifle for me today! Wanted an underlever for a long time, stuff like the tx200hc is not in my budget ATM. There is not a lot of info on this gun, but I found decent deal on 1 and went for it.
View attachment 443166

It has an 11mm dovetail so I mounted a Williams peep sight on there. So far I like, but have to figure something out for the 2 screws that used to hold the rear sight on there.
1 of the only YouTube reviews took it out of the box and fired it almost immediately. Big cloud of oil mist, and a loud bang. I decided from that I was going to tear it down for a basic lube/tune before shooting it at all. Some good, some bad as you might expect on a budget friendly rifle. No grease on the spring, really cheap rear spring guide, and a fair amount of goop on the piston/ forward of that in front of the seal. The upside the machining inside the cylinder was surprisingly good, did do some removing of very mild burrs around the holes and cocking channel. I ended up heating squaring 1 end, and flat grinding both ends of the spring to improve on the factory work there.

View attachment 443177

The breakdown of this rifle is not as easy as some others I have done. Mainly do to the trigger block which is installed in a way that you have to hold the spring in place while removing the trigger block out of that rectangular hole in the tube. Makes for less safe operation than it should be. All back together now with moly and tar in the places it should be. A well dressed spring that should be more in line, and a freshly cleaned barrel. I took 5 shots with it just to see what I am working with at this point.
View attachment 443179

No sighting in has been done, and not broken in. These are the first 5 shots with it ever. Inside in poor lighting with cphp ammo. The first 1 still went off with a good Crack, each of the next 4 were a much smoother quieter shot cycle. Am hoping for some decent weather tomorrow so I can get some chrony numbers. Right now I am optimistic this is going to be a fun rifle to have with the all weather stock, and traditional sights. If anyone else has 1 I would be interested in hearing you experience with the DH.
Nice work, and article!
Looking forward to more.
👍

I like the design of that rifle. You don't have to hold the under lever open when you load the pellet.
You just load the pellet into the breech after you close the lever.
I have also loaded the pellet and then pulled the underlever ...which will allow me to walk the woods loaded but with no spring tension till needed which seems fun.

The dream hunter has already brought me some good fortune even though I can't hunt with it right now. I went outside yesterday to do some run some lead through it and keep breaking it in. My neighbor stopped by for a bit. At some point in the conversation he says...I have this old pellet rifle I would like to get rid if you know anyone who want to buy something like that. Well sir, it's me...I'm the guy who would like to buy your vintage B/S c9 .20 cal in really nice original condition with seals that still work.
1000001737.jpg

I'm curious what it would have done without voiding the warranty immediately. Who does the warranty work for Norica in USA?
All the paperwork that came with it has Air Venturi on there. I would also welcome some feedback from someone who has just opened the box and started shooting this rifle. I did some more shooting with it this morning, group size is improving, and tolerance for different ammo is better as well. I went back to the daisy pellets today not wanting to spend rws ammo money during the break in. Today the daisy stuff is shooting equally well at 15yards.
1000001738.jpg

5 shots, that 1 outside the sticker is totally my fault.