Dragonfly heads up!

This morning while testing moderators this happened. The part that flew off was under considerable stress as I was at the bottom of a pumping stroke. It left the vicinity at low Mach number. I'm glad it didn't hit me in the eye.
IMG_20230626_063436683.jpg
There was zero warning.

Last edited:
View attachment 367744

For a example of measurements ( 2 retainer pin).
YOU are the man! Thank you! One good turn deserves another: My Dragonfly was shooting pellet on pellet at 40 yards with H&N FTTs, 12 pumps. It seems like you might pump the gun to 15 when hunting and it will "cool down" to 12 level pressures after a few minutes.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Well you aint got it in and working yet so you may end up cursing me later..🥴
No sir! That's not going to happen. I just got a DM from the air Venturi rep. He wanted my serial number and he's going to look into it see if it's a problem. Now that's customer service!

OS
Here are the Miked dimensions from my DF II 22 cal, Ser # 15527J,
Large head size = .147" x .138" small end diameter x .712" long
and .535" capture length.

I lost my "C" clip lock off the small end after about 500-600 shots and had to get a new one from a parts house in Reno, NV.

I have over 10+ cans of Crosmans thru mine, and so far, other keeping all screws tight, I have had no problems.

I did mike all the holes and found a variance of over .025" in hole diameters
for that pivot point linkage. I'll find the largest diameter and make a good HD Pin and ream the holes to just fit with less than .005" clearance for all diameters and hole sizes.

At the pivot point on the top of the pressure tube, the hole diameters were over 030" in size difference, and I'll have to make a new pin for there also.

I think all the clacky clacky noise is from the over sized pivot holes points, the pin that you lost as a elongated hole for the pump press/handle operation,
when pumping.
HTH's
Don

Last edited:
was this a first variant or MK2
I don't have any idea. I bought it in the first part of May 23. I didn't even know there were two variants. Would the SN be helpful? There are supposed to be 4 washers on that clevis pin. I don't know if they were present on mine or not. I never examined that connection that closely. If those washers were missing on mine, that might explain the problem.

This morning while testing moderators this happened. The part that flew off was under considerable stress as I was at the bottom of a pumping stroke. It left the vicinity at low Mach number. I'm glad it didn't hit me in the eye.
View attachment 367725
There was zero warning.
Glad you did not get hurt

Reactions: OldSpook
On my DF II, 22 cal, there is flat washers between the parts, on a straight pin.
There is 4 small flat washers, one washer on each side of the main pivot rod and another pair next to the split end part of the pivot arm that goes to the pump arm.
Just like the 2nd photo up shows, a washer between all the 3 main parts. and the clevis type pin that holds it all to tegether..

On my DF II, 22 cal, there is flat washers between the parts, on a straight pin.
There is 4 small flat washers, one washer on each side of the main pivot rod and another pair next to the split end part of the pivot arm that goes to the pump arm.
Just like the 2nd photo up shows, a washer between all the 3 main parts. and the clevis type pin that holds it all to tegether..
Kinda makes sense to have the washers as spacers and help take the ware and tare off the bracket and arm.

Reactions: Nvreloader
There is also a cam cut into the main pump rod handle, with a roller cam
middle pivot screw, of the forearm, it is buried inside the forearm wooden
handle, what it does, I am not sure.

This cam doesn't move or roll in the cut out space,
on the main steel pump handle rod.
It is very roughly machined, NOT smooth like a cam should be etc.

I found this cam part when I was placing spacers in the wood handle
to keep the steel pump arm centered in the wood handle and aligned with the buttstock.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty