• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dove Season - TX - 1 SEP

Buzz kill, Jim Reed, but you're correct. According to TX law (Google it if you'd like) the only "game" animal that can be taken with an air rifle is a squirrel. Per the TX law "pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel." As for the above scope cam shot, no harm to the dove. I was out bird watching when I took it.

I'd check the laws carefully. Mourning and whitewing doves are a migratory species which fall under federal regs. States have the authority to set limits and seasons, but I haven't seen any other allowable method of take except shotguns. Eurasian doves on the other hand, are invasive species not managed as migratory game birds and can be taken in any number at any time by any method in most if not all states.

Not trying to be the obstical, but have been through this many times in many states. If you look in the OK regs under migratory birds in method of take you'll see Airguns are not an approved method of take. When a warden gives me an opinion that differs from the regs I ask for it in writing and carry that letter with me. This does not mean you will not be cited if stopped, and even if a warden, or many of them, tell you it's alright, if the regulations say differently they take precedence and you are technically in violation and open to all the headaches (fine, gear confiscation, loss of license). I've taken that risk in the past, but go in with eyes open, not thinking the wardens opinion is worth more than it is.

echochapNot trying to be the obstical, but have been through this many times in many states. If you look in the OK regs under migratory birds in method of take you'll see Airguns are not an approved method of take. When a warden gives me an opinion that differs from the regs I ask for it in writing and carry that letter with me. This does not mean you will not be cited if stopped, and even if a warden, or many of them, tell you it's alright, if the regulations say differently they take precedence and you are technically in violation and open to all the headaches (fine, gear confiscation, loss of license). I've taken that risk in the past, but go in with eyes open, not thinking the wardens opinion is worth more than it is.

Exactly what Jim said!! I have hunted waterfowl and other migratory game birds for a number of years, and have never heard of anything but shotguns being legal for mourning doves.

Iride,

that remindes me of a friend that has a bunch of box turtles. He was bbqing with his grandson. He tells his grandson to watch the turtles eat the fat trimed off of the brisqet and his GS says "they will not eat that". My friend told him to watch. A few minutes latter the turtles are all lined up munching away on the fat. His GS looks at him and says "pa, if you have a heart attack try to make it to the house"
Typed on iphone

Interesting thread...when speaking in terms of doves, there must be differentiation between Eurasian/collared doves and all others here in the US. I have not researched all states but in general, Collared doves are not covered or governed by state or federal migratory regulations. They are considered a non-game, invasive species and typically have no season, limit or method of take applicable to them. The regulatory differences are as far separate as comparing Canada Geese to English Sparrow. Just be careful with identification between sub-species.

OK guys take out every Euro dove you can, They are a very aggressive dove that are trying to take over the white wing and the morning doves feeding grounds
They island hopped over and came up through Florida , They are breeding and spreading like wild fire , One Euro dove will run all other doves off from a bird feeder
Just watch how aggressive they are at a bird feeder if you have one out,,
They also have no breeding season and breed year around, In the warm states anyway.
Mike

"iride"I do not dove hunt as I do not like the taste of dove, I do not care how you cook it.
I did try Euro dove a few months back, double yuck, Very very dark liver taste,
I do shoot six to eight euro doves a week to feed to my box turtles , I clean all the feathers off pop the head and let my turtles eat away, Nothing is wasted
th_002_zpsj1tgy3mq.jpg

Your just not cooking them correctly. I and others posted on how to cook them. I will see if I can find it. No luck. Think it was before the reorganization of the site. If you just heat them up with no prep they can be off putting. I suggest using a commercial injection marinade and inject whole breasts and toss into a Ziplock with more marinade. You can use Italian dressing with a little W sauce if you like. Into the frig for eight hours or overnight. Slice the breast along the keel bone and insert pickled jalapenos or onion. You can put thin slices of onion under the bacon if you wish. Wrap with bacon securing with soaked tooth picks. It is important to soak the wooden tooth picks to prevent burning them. Grill over a light fire with wood chips for smoke flavor. Baste with the left over marinade. Do not over cook or you will dry them out. Serve with your favorite veg, rice pilaf, and garlic bread toasted over the fire. I have yet to find anyone who does not at least like this.