Double barrel 2-shot Air Javelin arrow gun - just for fun to see if it could be

When I was working on some minor Mods to my Air Javelin arrow carbines I cut the butt stock and pistol grip off of one of them while doing some tests. Since it was still functional I was curious if it could be mounted alongside of an unmodified Air Javelin to make a functional, if somewhat bulky, double barrel 2-shot arrow carbine. 

Using the single butt stock on the unmodified Javelin (on the right) worked surprisingly well since the left hand helps to hold the barrels up and even. The cocking handles are on opposite sides of the guns, and I could use both triggers separately with a modest stretch of my trigger finger.

DB 1.1633545812.jpg

The CO2 covers still fit over the cylinders but added unnecessary weight and bulk.

DB 3.1633545845.jpg

In the next 2 pictures you can he how all of the grip behind the trigger guard needed to be removed from the left Javelin for the triggers to line up, while still leaving enough hand room to hold the pistol grip and to reach both triggers with one finger.

Holes for the bolts which connect the two guns were drilled directly through noncritical spots in the stocks. The flat bolt heads didn't show after they were tightened flush to the stocks.

DB 8.1633545934.jpg

DB 9.1633545889.jpg

The shroud tubes were a bit too wide for the actions to be bolted flat together, so I cut out a section along the inside of the left Javelin's should to make that shroud about 1/2" narrower. That cut doesn't show when the 2 shrouds are pressed together and accuracy was unaffected. Mostly it explains why the gun in the picture below looks so patched up.

DB 2.1633545956.jpg

This was just a proof-of-concept and functionality test Mod because I had the parts and the time to do it. It was easy enough to throw together one which works in a few hours but I don't see much practical use or demand for a bulky and low powered 2 shot arrow carbine. I eventually took it apart and did something else with the parts.

It would be easy enough for a vendor like Umarex to design a double barrel 2-shot arrow carbine for hunting using a shortened Air Saber platform. Add a 2nd shrouded barrel over/under or alongside the current barrel, while still using a single air chamber and single trigger to keep the overall weight down. Just like the big bore double barrel HPA air shotguns already do when they are shooting the special air rifle arrows.

My Air Saber is too long and somewhat heavy for my comfort and at ~160fpe it's unnecessarily powerful for my use. What I'd really enjoy owning would be a 6 lb, double barrel, short arrow carbine for hunting. Like a 2-shot Air Saber Jr, with shorter heavy arrows, and with two or three adjustable power settings ranging from ~80fpe up to ~120fpe.

JP

When Air Venturi came out with the big bore (357/45/50 cal) Air Bolt airgun arrows it competed directly with the market for dedicated HPA arrow launchers. The main limitation of the Air Bolts for me is that they are designed for a longish rifle barrel, and the the double-barrel HPA Wingshot (7.5 lbs and 43" long) is too much for me for comfort as I get older. In recent years I've been selling off my heavier more powerful airguns like the 357 Terminator and Rex and going back to the smaller platforms like the 22 Huben K1 and an Edgun Leshiy 2. The Javelins are small and lightweight and fun but they just don't have the potential for increased power I'd like to have.

JP