• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DOT Air Tank Testing

The linked thread below may contain information to answer some questions posed this thread.

Thing is it's got to be stamped at the factory.. regardless it's not like you can just make one dot certified or take one that's not like most china pcp tanks and make it ... Maybe contact a scuba tank hydro testing place and ask them for more details or info..🤔
I will try that. I have read a lot of stuff online. Unfortunately my searches result in a bunch of other DOT standards as well. I noticed on my Aea Hp Max. The tank the gun comes with has DOT stamped on the tank. Then have seen others go to a bigger tank like a Tuxing that isn't DOT stamped. While I like the idea of more air. I am curious what is being sacrificed?

Here is a very good YT video of testing a 3000psi scuba tank. Basically the SCBA hydro is done the same way. There may be different specs for CF SCBA’s but that is the mechanics of a hydro.

A hydro uses water inside the SCBA and the water jacket (vessel) because if they used air inside the SCBA and it burst it would be explosive and destroy the test vessel and potentially injure the operator. Since water for all practical purposes can not be compressed, if the tank were to split open it would merely pass into the test vessel.

In this video, as the tank expand from the pressure applied to it, water in the test vessel is displaced and forced up a tube that goes to a beaker on a scale which is used to document the expansion. After the test time has elapsed the tank relaxes as the pressure is released. As the pressure is released the tank reduces in size just loke if you let air out of a ballon. As this happens, the water in the beaker is sucked back out of the submerged tube. The tank being tested may or may not return to original size. In any case, the tank being tested will have an allowable tolerance as to how much it can remain expanded. If within spec it can be returned to service after drying and valve re-installed.

Testor certication is a very intensive test. The person being certified has to perform the test to extremely strict standards that is very documentation, time and procedure intensive.
I do not know any specifics for CE.

I will try that. I have read a lot of stuff online. Unfortunately my searches result in a bunch of other DOT standards as well. I noticed on my Aea Hp Max. The tank the gun comes with has DOT stamped on the tank. Then have seen others go to a bigger tank like a Tuxing that isn't DOT stamped. While I like the idea of more air. I am curious what is being sacrificed?
USA vs china safety standards..lol

No shop in there right mind will fill a non dot tank or one out of hydro.

Reactions: Gerry52
DOT: This marking is for tanks manufactured in the United States. DOT stands for Department of Transportation which is the agency that regulates SCUBA tanks in America.

CTC (or TC): Tanks made in Canada will have this SCUBA tank marking. CTC stands for Canadian Transportation Commission.

CE: CE represent SCUBA tanks made in the European Union.

Many dive shops believe that properly cared for aluminum tanks have a lifespan of 20 years or more. The aluminum tanks that are engineered can withstand up to 100000 refillings and 20,000 hydrostatic tests.

Last edited:
Thing is it's got to be stamped at the factory.. regardless it's not like you can just make one dot certified or take one that's not like most china pcp tanks and make it ... Maybe contact a scuba tank hydro testing place and ask them for more details or info..🤔
Thay have a stamp kinda like a notary and certify a date of test.

Although not related to DOT testing, at work, electrical equipment tagged with a "CE" instead of a NRTL stamp, is nearly worthless and not allowed to be used. It essentially means the manufacturer claims the product will do what they say it will do. Which is a rather circular logic, and why it's worthless in an industrial environment from a safety standard.

Anyway, we now have a UN tank certification option, as well. I'm guessing most dive shops may be clueless on this one. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/big-news-small-bottle.1303101/post-1633371

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Although not related to DOT testing, at work, electrical equipment tagged with a "CE" instead of a NRTL stamp, is nearly worthless and not allowed to be used. It essentially means the manufacturer claims the product will do what they say it will do. Which is a rather circular logic, and why it's worthless in an industrial environment from a safety standard.

Anyway, we now have a UN tank certification option, as well. I'm guessing most dive shops may be clueless on this one. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/big-news-small-bottle.1303101/post-1633371