Don't TRUST your Safety (NEW GUN)

I also prefer guns where the safety blocks the firing pin or hammer on a airgun instead of a safety that just blocks the trigger. But my airguns just block the trigger.
I agree, but that's difficult to design into an inline firing system. The Glock "safe action" design, which many have copied, is very effective, since the action isn't fully cocked until the trigger is pulled. But that requires an almost double action length of trigger pull, which wouldn't be acceptable in many rifle or air rifle applications.

stare-finger.gif

• Haha
Reactions: qball and darylm
As long as you never point the muzzle at anything or anyone you do not wish to shoot, ultimately failures such as this are inconsequential.
Literally true, but maybe overly optimistic. None of us would intentionally point an air rifle at another person, that is a relatively easy precaution to observe. But, it is virtually impossible to handle a weapon in such a manner that it is never pointed at something we would choose not to shoot. Maybe not a person, but there are many other things that could be damaged with resulting expenses and embarrassment. It's kind of like collision insurance on our cars. None of us think we will be responsible for a crash, yet many of us have been, or will be. Safety precautions need to be as close to 100% reliable as possible. IMO, that means at least de-cocking the gun, and sometimes unloading totally.

Imagine blowing your foot off when tripping over, because the safety didn't work...
Imagine shooting your Dog by accident. Yikes!

I'm just glad we are all thinking about gun safety now. Me included. I was not a serious as I am now.

Unrelated: I never mentioned it, but my best friend blew his finger off about 4 months ago. With a handgun. I live in another state now, but we still run my hauling business together. It's been a trip...amputation is wierd as heck. His missing finger hurts like heck I guess, even though it's not there. We are not talking about the stump, the actual finger, missing from the base of the hand, feels like it's there, and it hurts all the time.

Carefull kids! Don't end up like Ed!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Triglav and qball

I'm just glad we are all thinking about gun safety now. Me included. I was not a serious as I am now.

Unrelated: I never mentioned it, but my best friend blew his finger off about 4 months ago. With a handgun. I live in another state now, but we still run my hauling business together. It's been a trip...amputation is wierd as heck. His missing finger hurts like heck I guess, even though it's not there. We are not talking about the stump, the actual finger, missing from the base of the hand, feels like it's there, and it hurts all the time.

Ghost pains....yes...they are horrible

Shooting your dog by accident probably happens. The reverse of that actually did happen: someone’s dog bumped a rifle that shot its owner.

Your buddy has a phantom limb now (a known phenomenon). Too bad that his hurts instead of just “still being there.”

My god, this one hit pretty close to home!
During the 2nd world war, my grandfather (gone some 50 years now - I never got to meet the guy) and his squad got engaged by a divison of the SS and the germans won that skirmish, captured my grandfather and cut half of his leg off, leaving him with the rest of the captured partisans... The SS unit went on, taking their guns, equipement and food, while the partisans made their way to safety. So then, the partisan medics wrapped up his leg an let it heal... but the worst pain was yet to come, the so called "phantom pain". When I was a teen, my mother told me a story, and still relives this whole thing from time to time; the story of my grandfather and how he wanted to scratch a toe on his missing foot; She told me that the missing limb hurt him badly every once in a while, and even though half of his leg was lost, he still felt every inch of it, how it ached and itched... it was both surreal and difficult to listen to this story.

My god, this one hit pretty close to home!
During the 2nd world war, my grandfather (gone some 50 years now - I never got to meet the guy) and his squad got engaged by a divison of the SS and the germans won that skirmish, captured my grandfather and cut half of his leg off, leaving him with the rest of the captured partisans... The SS unit went on, taking their guns, equipement and food, while the partisans made their way to safety. So then, the partisan medics wrapped up his leg an let it heal... but the worst pain was yet to come, the so called "phantom pain". When I was a teen, my mother told me a story, and still relives this whole thing from time to time; the story of my grandfather and how he wanted to scratch a toe on his missing foot; She told me that the missing limb hurt him badly every once in a while, and even though half of his leg was lost, he still felt every inch of it, how it ached and itched... it was both surreal and difficult to listen to this story.
Wow, I had no idea that's how that works. Dang!

Had a Vulcan 1 3rd gen that the safety would not work depending on how you had the trigger adjusted. Great airgun, nice all around but the way the safety and trigger worked together was pretty much a bad design. Not sure if this changed in latter Vulcans. I just made sure the trigger and safety jived well when adjusted. Like said here in the pose. Always treat any gun like its loaded and ready to go.