Don't get fooled by fake usps money orders and cashiers checks

ea749c685e23cd747ca8e7a1fb1892f1.jpg

This money order is fake, but if you tried to tell by comparing it to a real one it would be hard to tell the difference the one thing that is hard to fake is the silver strip running up and down on the order. If you look closely you will see that the top fake is just silver embossed but the real version is a multicolored strip. As you can see below
54fc2644b0f3aa0528679873237155bb.jpg

If someone pays by a money order you can call the usps verification line to check if it is real(1-866-459-7822). Do not depend on your bank to do so
https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm?

I also have a fake cashiers check that was attempted to be used as payment for some items even the water color mark that changes color worked.
All Cashiers checks can be verified by the bank it was issued from by calling a branch and giving them the check number and amount

CYA all the way!! never depend on someone else to check and confirm a check do it yourself

Reactions: glassman
Counterfeiters are really getting good. It was a few months ago that I was given $200 worth of American Express travel checks as payment. They turned out to be fakes. Even my bank was uncertain as to their validity. All this proves you can't be 100% covered for loss, even using PayPal. 

One thing you can do, is buy fraud insurance. But that is a mixed bag of tricks at best.

That's a pretty good fake, but I could tell immediately. I use Postal money orders at work, and have to purchase $6K+ monthly so I see them all the time that's the only way I know.
I'm about to sell a bunch of track bike stuff I think I'm sticking to cash or PayPal.
So someone sent you that for payment, then you were supposed to send them the item(s) once you received payment? Did you report the matter to Postal Authorities?
Just curious as to how you followed up with the person that tried to rip you off.

Great post. I got a fake postal money order years ago and took it to the Post Office. They noticed it was a fake right away and said that many banks do not know they are fake until its too late. Then they pull money out of your account to cover the loss so you get screwed twice. Take them to someone who issues them, Post Office for postal money orders or an authorized American Express money order facility for those to check to make sure they are legit before it costs you more money and hassle.

just for the record these did not come from anyone on agn

TinBuster
What is a shame is the fact that USPS has lost so much respect and authority that their money orders cannot be trusted anymore.
When I was a kid my mother was a postal worker, back then even the cops didn't mess with the post office
A usps money order was good as gold
I called usps about this and the reply was they would mail me a complaint form

Last Friday I received a check for $2750 for a $1300 airgun. The mailman needed a signature before giving me the envelope. About an hour later I get an email from scrapmetal stating I sent you too much "can you be trusted?" Next sentence "you signed for a $2750 check" I replied you sent the wrong amount please do not contact me, I mailed the $2750 back to your return address.

So scamming a $1300 air gun wasn't enough. This POS wanted me to send him $1450 in the box with the a $1300 air gun. If you get an email from scrapmetal at [email protected] stay away. If your buying/trading from a forum try and use paypal. Research the person your dealing with.
CgRXiRJ.jpg

An interesting bit of information about cashiers checks and their validity. Most fakes will be printed out with the number sequence on the bottom of the fake the same as you would find on a normal personal or business check. Most cashiers checks (everyone I have seen) have the sequence of the numbers on the bottom in a different order than normal checks. Hint: next time you receive or order a cashiers check look at where they place the check number in relation to the routing numbers etc. I asked once and was told that was to help differentiate fakes from real ones. When you call the bank it was drawn on (+1 for Willie it's easy to make the call and banks in my experience have always been ready to help verify the validity of their checks) and tell them you want to verify the cashiers check you were given.The first thing they usually ask is for you to read the sequence of numbers on the bottom of the check. If that sequence is not in the correct order they don't even have to bother checking any further to know it's a fake. If you have called the bank and they say it is good, you can still wait until it clears before you send anything. Cashiers checks clear quicker than personal or business checks. Usually within a day or so.