• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

DonnyFL Yokozuna VS Huma40

There’s already a couple threads on the new DFL, but I thought I’d start a new one so as not to hi-jack the existing ones…

So here’s some feedback on the DFL vs the Huma40. The DonnyFL Yokozuna is out of the box stock. The Huma40 has the “Avalanche” inserts, but they aren’t stock. They have some “finger cots” and pellet packing material in the baffles. Both moderators were made for .30 pellets.

I guess for “real testing”, I would’ve made a whole bunch of shots and then averaged the sound levels. I didn’t feel like wasting the air or the pellets so the screen shots represent single shots.

Two airguns were used. The first was a 40fpe .22 20” CZ and the second was a 80fpe .30 24” LW. The same moderator configuration was use for both airguns..swap the mod or add the DFL adapter and go.

The “testing” was with two different iPhone apps, “Decibel Meter dB sound detector” and “Sound Level”. While they might not be capable of exact dB measurements, they do offer a like for like comparison.

The iPhone was placed on the grass and the moderator was held 18” away and off to one side.

To my ears, the Huma was more mellow and the DFL had a hard to describe metallic sound. The Decibel Meter dB app shows graphs with a double spike for the DFL Yokosuna. This same pattern existed in both the .22 and .30.

Here’s the .22 screen grabs..for DFL Yokosuna
IMG-22-DFL-YOKO-3+B-dBM.jpegIMG-22-DFL-YOKO-3+B-SL.jpeg

Here’s the .22 screen grabs..for Huma40
IMG-22-Huma40-2+B-dBM.jpegIMG-22-Huma40-2+B-SL.jpeg

Here are the .30 grabs..for DFL Yokosuna
IMG-30-DFL-YOKO-3+B-dBM.jpegIMG-30-DFL-YOKO-3+B-SL.jpeg
And the .30 grabs..for Huma40
IMG-30-Huma40-2+B-dBM.jpegIMG-30-Huma40-3+B-SL.jpeg

I was curious about the metallic DFL sound, so I unscrewed all the sections to do a quick exam. I could tell there was a difference in the way the moderator re-assembled. The “normal” feel when screwing the sections together was a bit of o-ring drag on the threads just as the section started to snug down. When screwing a small section into the larger, empty, “blast section”, there was no drag feeling..just metal to metal contact when snugged down. Hmmm. Wonder if this is the source of the double spike?

Notice the difference in the larger DFL section??..see the red arrow..
IMG-DFL-YOKO-Sections.JPG

I’m pretty sure the area without the threads doesn’t allow the o-ring to contact anything when a small section is screwed into the blast section. Maybe this creates a micro-reverb chamber..IDK Not sure if this is supposed to be normal. Does anyone else have a Yokozuna or Ryu they could disassemble to check? I’d be curious to see if there’s a difference between what I have and what others have.

Just for grins, I took the blast section out and made another shot..just to test my theory..

Screen grab for DFL..without “blast section”
IMG-DFL-YOKO-Shorty.JPG

Double spike is still there but spike number two is greatly reduced and, to my ears, sounds a lot more like the Huma. If you believe the app, actually a little quieter, too.
IMG-30-DFL-YOKO-3+noB-dBM.PNG

Interesting. I’ve been curious as to how the new style compares. Honestly from what I’m hearing they don’t do as well as his previous offerings.
I’m also curious how his new offerings don’t seem to be an issue with being allowed to be produced and sold in the US . Can anyone tell me what is different about these that make them ok, whereas the older ones were deemed not ok? Was it an import issue and these are now produced in America?

The Huma Mod 40 with the felt inserts was the best for sound deadening in higher powered air rifles of many moderators I’ve used… and I’ve used a lot.

Replace the felt in the 1st section with rolled cork, and it is almost silent.

I don’t know why Huma switched to the Avalanche inserts, I can’t see how this would be quieter than felt or cork for sound deadening.

I’ve not had any Donny that could compete with a Weihrauch or Huma design for sound deadening - especially size for size.

-Ed

The Huma Mod 40 with the felt inserts was the best for sound deadening in higher powered air rifles of many moderators I’ve used… and I’ve used a lot.

Replace the felt in the 1st section with rolled cork, and it is almost silent.

I don’t know why Huma switched to the Avalanche inserts, I can’t see how this would be quieter than felt or cork for sound deadening.

I’ve not had any Donny that could compete with a Weihrauch or Huma design for sound deadening - especially size for size.

-Ed
Where did you get the rolled cork? I'd be willing to try it out. Any reason you stopped at the first section with the swap, rather than continuing? Just thinking that if it was quieter with the swap in the first section, maybe it would help in the other sections too . . .

I'm also curious which other moderator you tried - I have a Mod 40 Compact on a .22 Sidewinder but want it quieter, so I was thinking about trying a STO Falx or Sarissa, but maybe anothr section of Mod 40 might be good too . . .

Where did you get the rolled cork? I'd be willing to try it out. Any reason you stopped at the first section with the swap, rather than continuing? Just thinking that if it was quieter with the swap in the first section, maybe it would help in the other sections too . . .

I'm also curious which other moderator you tried - I have a Mod 40 Compact on a .22 Sidewinder but want it quieter, so I was thinking about trying a STO Falx or Sarissa, but maybe anothr section of Mod 40 might be good too . . .

Amazon - less than $10 for a roll:

Hygloss Cork Roll 1.5 mm... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JO5BOO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You want this cork - WITHOUT adhesive on back.

Yep, you could use cork in all sections. It was so quiet with just the main section, I didn’t bother. Also, I did the main section without having the cork as densely wrapped as the factory felt was - as I wanted to provide a bit more expansion for .25 and .30 cal air volumes. Thought it might help with accuracy, but just experimenting - I have no proof the tight vs. slightly looser is worse/better accuracy-wise.

-Ed

A guess would be the inserts effectively split each baffle section into 2 smaller ones.
They said on their website that the Avalanche inserts can handle more power / high airflow than the felt baffles. They do sell the moderators both ways still.

I tried an Avalanche insert in my Mod 40 Compact and it was clearly louder than the felt insert - that was running at about 40 FPE. I ended up pulling it back out . . .

Reactions: EPG