• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DonnyFL Tatsu or Tanto?

I have a .22 Crown that shoots at 36ft lb/50J. I have a internal mod in the shroud that works rather good, but I'm thinking about trying a real moderator.

Maximum length for the mod is about 5" for the gun to be easy to get in and out of the gunsafe. Has anyone compared those two against each other on a 30-35 ft lb gun?

I might get a longer one if there is a big difference in sound reduction AND if I can unscrew the mod between shooting sessions without a change in POI?

There will not be that big a difference in sound between the 2 models. I used the sumo , shogun, ronin , emperor and there was about 8 DB difference from smallest to largest.

Sound is on the logarithmic scale so 8db is about 80% louder. Sound "sharpness" is also a factor. That is generally a characteristic of the sound producing part but attenuation can vary by frequency for different devices.

For equal lengths, everything else being equal, the larger diameter will perform better because of it's additional volume. 

If your goal is to keep your gun's length to a minimum, always go for the fattest version in the line that will fit. 

Here's a pic

1586112914_10567048835e8a299237b5f8.90461539.jpg

I have a hard time deciding. The Tanto follows the shroud nicely with the slimmer diameter. The Tatsu is shorter but won't look as slim.

The Tatsu should be the better one regarding sound because of the higher internal volume.

Does anyone have a picture of the Tatsu on their rifle?

The slimmer diameter was one of the reason I went with the Tanto. My Bantam doesn’t need it, but it really quiets the bark of my Compatto. Pellets hitting the target are the loudest noise. Pic is of my Bantam with Tanto attached.

1586253318_20724916515e8c4e0664ebf6.37351366.jpeg

Reactions: Apohlo