• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DonnyFL Tanto, different felt wrap inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read somewhere by someone they used a thin sheet of cork. Worked well for them. Worried it could start to come apart but should not be abrasive if it did.
Neoprene could work too and I have stuffed 1” upholsery type of foam in and seemed to help. It all changes but believe the report its directed more down range rather than sideways with the material that is more dense. Just a guess but would like to be down range to hear it but never tested (and for obvious safety reasons dont recommend it.)
Wash hands after handling the insides of these things they truly are LDC’s

@CharlieF used cork in a moderator of his and reported a 10dB net increase in suppression. Sounds reasonable. If you are worried about it coming apart (unlikely but possible) a layer of clear packing tape on the inside facing part of the cork should solve that problem but might decrease the effectiveness of the cork. Perhaps a cloth tape instead like athletic tape?

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
I replace all my DonnyFL felts with shelf liner. The material is similar to a foam ear plug, flat, and is very open for sound absorbtion. It has always tested a decibel or 2 better than the felt for me, which isn't much but better is better. I use about three wraps. You can pick it up anywhere, Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc. The same thing, and can be just as good depending on brand, is anti-slip carpet sheets. It's the stuff to put under your carpets on a hard wood floor to prevent slippage. The more stuff you try the more you will have a feel for what might work.

Source for cork. Just remove the felt, draw the outline on the cork, cut it out and replace the felt. Easy Pezy.
Interesting idea - cork is often used for underlayments for sound absorption.
Do you know of anyone that has tried rubberized cork (cork/rubber mix) or even regular rubber underlayment? Rubber is just as effective for sound absorption at just 2/3 the same thickness, but it won't breathe like cork.

all i can tell you is 'watch' what you try to use .. there is a condition of momentary vacuum when a projectile passes through, and if anything abrasive, like scotch brite material for instance, is used, it can cause a wear factor in the end of your barrel, i sht you not lol ..
I think that's why DonnyFL puts the stainless steel screen as the first layer around his monocores. Reduces the soft deadening material from getting vacuum sucked back into the moderator and end of the barrel.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
FWIW
I tried thin magic eraser in a DonnyFl TANTO.
1 wrap around the existing DonnyFl material required careful nursing back into the tube
Sound level dropped from a 5 shot average of 96,7dB to 90,3dB

The brand of eraser used was BAISENJIE
It can be found on Amazon

I chose this one because it is very thin; 0.03"

I like it enough that it will get tried on other moderators

Hope this helps
Ed

1/16” thick neoprene wrap works well. I had one of those waist wraps from a sporting goods store, felt with a zipper, meant to wrap around your midsection to help sweat off the pounds.

Well, when I “outgrew” that model I decided to make use of its material by giving it a second life, as a wrap for the Donny FL Shogun’s inner core.

Works really well. It changed the rapport to a much lower thud sound.

Search amazon. You can find neoprene (think scuba suit)in either role form or 12” x 12” squares. 1/16” thick is all you need. Rubber contact cement works great in joining the ends if you fabricate it in tube form to stretch over the moderator’s core

Reactions: elbeau
FWIW
I tried thin magic eraser in a DonnyFl TANTO.
1 wrap around the existing DonnyFl material required careful nursing back into the tube
Sound level dropped from a 5 shot average of 96,7dB to 90,3dB

The brand of eraser used was BAISENJIE
It can be found on Amazon

I chose this one because it is very thin; 0.03"

I like it enough that it will get tried on other moderators

Hope this helps
Ed
That's a big difference, I might need to give this a try - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.