DonnyFL Sumo vs Huma Moderator

almost sounds like the hole in the huma may have clipped a few pellets slowing it down , did you try opening up the Hole ? I have used Huma regs and they make a great product . could also be the Donny had a larger hole in it and something like adapter shroud or barrel isnt square and it clipped , Huma is a great company and would sort it out if you called them . I had similar issue with a moderator I wont say which brand , but it did almost same and it was not moderator it was a shroud which was off by a hair and it clipped now and then ,

The repair was open the hole a whisker , it may have been fine in 20 other guns but that one had a problem , but to say you would give it to your completer in a shooting even , come on the company is a quality company and they do stand behind things if there is ever a problem , but you know it mite have been the gun or shroud not perfectly square , you cant trash them from 1 simple YouTube video

LOU

Reactions: sonny
Great video until you destroyed the Huma! I'd have sent it back to Huub with a copy of your video so he could look into improvements. I have not tried the Huma personally, but do have a Compact+ on the way, which model were you testing in your video? I had a Sumo but had a problem with pellets clipping it. It may have been my rifle as was previously mentioned, but it sure didn't work well for me. I have several other DonnyFL's and have not had that problem. I'm looking forward to receiving my Huma so I can do some testing of my own. I really hope my results are better than yours, these LDC's aren't cheap and I can't afford to just destroy them if they don't work! Thanks for the video!

Thanks for making this video! We appreciate everyone’s willingness to share their experience.

Earlier this year we started the new modular moderator range and we used very tight tolerances through the bore. We received excellent feedback on its performance, but we also got feedback about clipping issues when used in combination with shrouded barrels. So, we adjusted our design to accommodate shrouds and less than perfectly aligned threaded barrels.

All our current models (except the sale models) are all produced according to this new design. 

We strive to make the very best products and like everything in life; product evolution is created by receiving feedback and listening to our customers. 

Whether positive or negative, we love hearing from our end users! Thank you

All the best

Huma-Air

I'm not a Huma fanboy but I would be more suspicious of the FX radar than blaming the moderator for those bizarre velocity results. The group size example is a bit one-sided using pellets straight from the can. The Huma's group seemed to put more shots in the same hole but had 2 or 3 that widened it up a little more than the Donny which did not cluster as many but spread more shots over a slightly smaller overall spread. You would have to shoot multiple groups and take an average to be fair. As for the Donny increasing the velocity. I've never heard anything like that before. What is the theory for that? I say, repeat the so-called experiment with a reputable chronograph and then republish the results.

Reactions: Macros
It was the MOD40. We had the same results over three runs of the test and I screenshotted (reported) the least extreme.

My theory is that the chamber design, which is what makes it modular, creates backpressure...but I'm not the kind of scientist who's qualified to make such hypotheses. Or really any kind of scientist to be honest. When I compare chrony results on all my FX guns in the "shroud extended" vs DonnyFL I get a modest increase in FPS. I've always put that down to the baffles acting like an air stripper.

@Huma-Air I appreciate your willingness to comment professionally, and would welcome an opportunity to see your revised units. We did inspect for clipping and could not find any evidence of that happening. 

I stand by the use of the FX Cronograph. Used properly it is just as accurate as anything else. You do have to know how to use radar, and you have to use it properly.

Rule #32-Take time to enjoy the little things. The purchase of any accessory is a gamble. We gambled on an untested product, and were dissatisfied with the performance for our applications and therefore what we bought was unusable. In an adolescent, Gene Simmons bass guitar smash sort of moment (that started with a dare) we destroyed what we weren't going to use. We get to make that call. I don't expect the retailer to take it back, and don't expect Huma to refund us any money. We had fun shooting it. 

If I need a regulator, it's a Huma that I'm going to shop for.