• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DonnyFL Ronin vs 0db 160S in high flow applications?

I have the DonnyFL Ronin and Emperor, and I am very happy with them both. Currently, I use the Ronin on my FX Maverick Vp .30cal tuned at 85fpe and the Emperor on my slug tuned Bulldog at 205fpe. However, I am interested in moving my Ronin back to my pellet tuned Bulldog as an airgun for my buddy for the up and coming squirrel season. Instead of purchasing another Ronin, I am wondering how the 0db 160S would perform on my Maverick VP .30cal.

Has anyone had both the Ronin and 0db 160S and can share your experiences with them?

Photo is just to get interest.
20211016_005642.jpg

Thanks so much for your time!

Accuracy is my priority. I've had any accuracy-related issues with the 160 or any of my other .22/.30 0dB moderators. I usually run unmoderated and zero for MPBR, and with the 0dB's my POI generally shifts no more than .1-.2mils low and right.

I've had repeatable issues with the Sumo and Ronin (and Tatsu .22 for that matter) at high power, like muzzle flip, nasty harmonic issues (most noticeably with my stiffer tensioned barrels), and some other non-clipping related projectile instability anomalies that I've captures with my GP Backbone scope cam at 240 frames/sec. They're not real creative designs IMO and just serve as big blast chambers.

I was conversing with a friend yesterday about this exact issue and he had some specific ideas for venting the DonnyFL's that could very well make them perform better. I just don't have the luxury of time now to do R&D for someone else's product, but I shouldn't even have to.

Reactions: M0ist0ne
I have had only good experience with the donny products..only ones a koy .22 was clipping .. the 2 shogun I sold .25 n .30 were use In my hp Texans without a problem no poi shift no clipping..my tight bore sumos were used in my hp condors keep in mind my 22 condor do 150FP .and the 257 - 175FP + no poi shift no harmonics issue..different guns React differently to different supresors..not the shotgun or the sumo worked in my uragans..I assume thin barrels even when they are tensioned don't like heavy ldc up front .. I changed to the Donny FX a smaller n lighter ldc problem solved..and resulted even quieter than the big cans.
One thing I found annoying with the Donny line is that in HP applications is that the felt is not designed for that much air. N it keeps getting damaged so you have to keep an eye on it .. with the arrival of the solid LDC impulse line my shogun n sumos were SOLD .. impulse should be better in HP pcps .. I just hope the impulse doesn't do better in my uragans..because they are no cheap..n then I will have to buy 4 more..😢

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter