• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DonnyFL RONIN moderator issue

That does make a lot of sense!

PS Which Donny Mod would you suggest for a FX Impact Compact in 25cal for maximum noise suppression? I'm not worried about size or looks
Hi Ingwe. I'm not qualified to make any recommendations for a particular rifle. When I bought my maverick I had already seen 68whiskey's videos and Keith using a ronin on the same rifle I ordered. Just to be sure the ronin made the most sense for my rifle, I emailed donny and asked him which of his moderators would be best on my particular rifle and he said the ronin was best for me so that's what I bought. I also did some reading on the forum to try to get as many opinions as I could before making a decision. One thing to keep in mind is that donnyfl is not the only game in town. More recently I've read about other moderator brands that I had not heard of before and can't remember the names of. One thing to note about donny's moderators is that some of them are really optimized for a particular caliber, but are still recommended for a smaller caliber. For example, the hole size in my ronin is optimized for 30 cal -- meaning that the holes are a tight fit for a 30 cal, but the ronin might be recommended for a 25 cal also even though the holes are kind of oversized for a 25 cal. So really do your homework and get as much input as you can before making a decision. Happy reading.

grungy

Maybe? It seemed to lesson the ping from the hammer. Or it's all in my head.
What it did do was provide a non-slip surface to help when my rifle is leaned up against the wall in my shop by the shooting window or a tree in the woods.
Interesting. I started a thread a while back talking about maybe sticking closed-cell foam all over my maverick to try to reduce the ping resonance. I haven't tried puting anything like that on my maverick yet, but your "Maybe?" observation gives me hope. Thanks.

grungy

PS Which Donny Mod would you suggest for a FX Impact Compact in 25cal for maximum noise suppression? I'm not worried about size or looks
Hello again Ingwe. Since you are new to airgun moderators and looking for one that obviously makes your gun quiet, I want to warn you about trusting youtube videos and forum posts that give you measured decibel readings. A lot of people use their smart phones with an app to measure the sound volume of a gun. These people's intentions are good. But they know not what they do. There are some folks that actually have a proper decibel meter capable of comparing the sound of guns, but even those people often times take the sound measurements in ways that make their claims useless in the real world. Hopefully this will help you avoid stepping in some of the BS you'll find on the internet.

grungy

Reactions: Ingwe
Hi again Petrenko_usa. I just checked donny's site and it is down. However, I did see that my local walmart has 9"x12" felt sheets in stock in the store. They are really cheap -- less than a dollar per sheet I think. I don't know if it is as good as the stuff donny sells, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same stuff -- it's just polyester fiber that has been crushed into a sheet. You'd be saving a lot of money and time. You can check other places you might have locally like Michael's (craft store) or Joanne's Fabrics.

Cut the 9x12 inch sheet down from 9" to the length of the core. Wrap the screen around the core first, then wrap felt around the screen until you have enough on there to fill the space between the core and the inside of the cylinder shell about 85% of the way. Cut off the excess. It will try to unwind while you are wrapping the stuff around the core and once you have the outer shell on, the screen and felt will unwind all the way and stay in contact with the inside of the outer shell -- unless you use tape. I chose not to use tape and it seems to be just as quiet as it was with the tape.

grungy
Thank you so much man!
This is exactly what I am asking. I knew something was wrong with that material! Makes me feel better. I will go to Wallmart around my area and see if they have the felt that you are talking about. Will let you know if it helps.

Make sure your felt wrap & taping does not exceed the diameter of the end caps of your Donny Ronin. The red tape in your picture looks way too tight & the felt not stretched out long enough.
Thank you for your advise. I was making it tighter due to previous attempts to fix the issue other ways - same results.. I think the as 'grungy' said - the material is wrong..

FWIW, Wildcat MK3 BT Compact .30 -- DonnyFL Ronin vs DonnyFL FX moderator upgrade -- can't tell the difference. I too was in the 'don't care about size/looks, just want sound down' camp. YMMV. Things on the internet said 'larger the moderator, the quieter it'll be' as a rule, but that's not my experience.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Hello Fellas, I am new to this but is that all that is inside of an airgun suppressor....mesh and a piece of felt or foam??

I am ordering an FX Impact with Donny of some type, so I am now wondering how effective these things are.

I have experience with firearm suppressors and these things look totally different
There is no heat or heat signature associated with an airgun. This lets us build moderators from materials which could not survive being used in a PB silencer.

Thank you so much for that!!

There is a world on knowledge here on this forum
The physics are the same. The stresses are nothing like the same. Firearms pressures are a few tens of thousands of PSI. Airgun pressures are FAR FAR less than that. That allows manufacturers to use materials which are not suitable for use in PB moderators.

Reactions: Ingwe
This goes back to my Marauder days and finding DonnyFl when the only thing he sold was the Fatboy.
I did order one and got to playing around with it after reading that melamine foam was the most sound absorbent material out there.
Well guess what, look under your wife's sink and you'll most likely find a pack of melamine foam with the name Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Foam pad on it :)
I cut a pad in half half lengthwise and removed Donny's felt and replaced it with the melamine foam.
The difference in the sound dampening was enough for me to call Donny back and have him try it.
He called me back after about 30 minutes and said he had the same results with it.
I suppose he stuck with the felt for whatever reason.
All I know is that EVERY DonnyFL moderator I have now is lined with melamine foam and they are much quieter and I've never had a minutes problem with any of them.
For what it's worth!

Reactions: AmosBurton
This goes back to my Marauder days and finding DonnyFl when the only thing he sold was the Fatboy.
I did order one and got to playing around with it after reading that melamine foam was the most sound absorbent material out there.
Well guess what, look under your wife's sink and you'll most likely find a pack of melamine foam with the name Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Foam pad on it :)
I cut a pad in half half lengthwise and removed Donny's felt and replaced it with the melamine foam.
The difference in the sound dampening was enough for me to call Donny back and have him try it.
He called me back after about 30 minutes and said he had the same results with it.
I suppose he stuck with the felt for whatever reason.
All I know is that EVERY DonnyFL moderator I have now is lined with melamine foam and they are much quieter and I've never had a minutes problem with any of them.
For what it's worth!
Thanks for this info! I'm going to try that after my wife gets some. I asked if she knew what they were and she said," Yes, they are awesome." Little does she know....actually she knows everything and is nice enough to humor me.