• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DonnyFL / Felt suggestions

Aloha gabe,

what DonnyFL do you have and what caliber? I have several donny’s and tried different materials, I used high density foam, plumber’s felt, scotch-brite pads, other felt material. They all had a different sound report and it all depends on the tune of the gun also.

Aloha, 

Keone

He's spot on !! same results

DrAngler, on my DonnyFL Shogun, which is mounted to probably one of the loudest barking Airguns out there(hatsan hercules Bully in 30 cal), I tried all sorts of materials from styrofoam wrap that plumbers wrap around their ABS pipes prior to pouring a slab, thicker felts, and one other I can’t remember. What finally worked the best is I had an old neoprene waist wrap from the sporting goods store, the one you’re suppose to wrap around your belly to sweat the inches off, lol. The neoprene in that is like 1/8” thick. So I used that around the inner core, and that has muffled that bark enough to satisfy my quest to quiet down this Bully. It’s still far far away from any type of “mouse fart quiet” that folks talk about, but I know it doesn’t bother my neighbors, so that’s ok with me.

It adds noticeable weight, at least on my ronin but I wrapped the inner core and outer can with paracord. Definitely quieter than anything else I’ve tried and never hurts to have a length of cord on hand.

Thank you. Interesting idea.

DrAngler, on my DonnyFL Shogun, which is mounted to probably one of the loudest barking Airguns out there(hatsan hercules Bully in 30 cal), I tried all sorts of materials from styrofoam wrap that plumbers wrap around their ABS pipes prior to pouring a slab, thicker felts, and one other I can’t remember. What finally worked the best is I had an old neoprene waist wrap from the sporting goods store, the one you’re suppose to wrap around your belly to sweat the inches off, lol. The neoprene in that is like 1/8” thick. So I used that around the inner core, and that has muffled that bark enough to satisfy my quest to quiet down this Bully. It’s still far far away from any type of “mouse fart quiet” that folks talk about, but I know it doesn’t bother my neighbors, so that’s ok with me.

I dont think that should be too hard to find. I appreciate it.

Anyone try roofing felt? It's pretty thick, and it's designed to stand up to years of punishment in various harsh climates. I've never tried it myself. It's just a suggestion. I own the DonnyFL Ronin, and I don't see the need to replace the felt that came with it. I disassemble the moderator on occasion to check it, and it always looks good. And I'm pushing 80fpe through the moderator. Maybe someone should hit up Donny and ask what felt he recommends to use to replace the felt in the moderator. I doubt he would deny anyone the information. It's not like you're asking him for patent rights or design specs for his moderators. Donny is a SUPER nice guy. 

What finally worked the best is I had an old neoprene waist wrap from the sporting goods store, the one you’re suppose to wrap around your belly to sweat the inches off, lol. The neoprene in that is like 1/8” thick. So I used that around the inner core, and that has muffled that bark enough to satisfy my quest to quiet down this Bully.

Some of the beer/soda cans insulators are likely the same material & often available for free as promotional items.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Good idea. 

https://www.amazon.com/TOURBON-Neoprene-Moderator-Suppressor-Silencer/dp/B00ZCTAH4S

heres an option I later learned about, in keeping with the neoprene theme as a better soundproofing felt material.

I got tired of bumping my moderators and didn’t wanna chip off any of the anodizing so I wrapped all my moderators with this stuff. On my moderators that were smaller in diameter I ended up slicing these neoprene tubes, doing my math to calculate circumference, and re gluing them with Devcon Contact cement. After doing this to my moderators I reflected about the inside core of my Shogun, how I have that neoprene material from that beat up waist wrap, wrapped and just held on with electrical tape. One of these days I’ll order another one of these neoprene tubes, and actually slice and glue it so it slips over the Shoguns core nice and tight.