• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Donnyfl Fat Boy 2. What are they doing?

After all the hypes on YouTube about ppl praising Fat Boy 2 as the next gen of moderator that is caliber interchangeable and the bulky but short dimension seemed to please these YouTubers with the sound attenuation without the tube extension, and the claim that the tube extension would bring the bark down to whisper quiet.

So I bought it with the extension tube.

I was surprised that the Fat Boy 2 without the extension tube produces loud and sharp bark. The extension is heavy and attaching the two does reduce the bark but at a level that is not proportional expected compared to the volume.

I tried to add layers of thicker insulation material to the core in the Fat Boy and use hair curls as the frame to roll the insulation with no substantial improvement.

Do I have a bad luck or it's just what Fat Boy 2 all about?

Anyway, I'm looking for the alternative which able to accommodate both cam 22 and 25, light and no bs bark attenuation and the length should be less than 20 cm.

Please advise.

Thanks.

A superior moderator will be specific to one caliber. Ideally will be attached to a gun with an active shroud. Even more ideal if an air stripper is housed in said shroud. Moderator should have a pretty tight bore. Say ~6.3mm on a .22. And cone baffles throughout. Ideally some felt in the end as well. No one really makes anything like this, so 3d printing is the way to go. Though, there may be some upcoming in the works. I no longer have a printer. But I have made some in the past. Primarily a copy of another members work, but a very simple and effective design, none-the-less.

PSX_20200112_201325.jpg

PSX_20200102_190453.jpg

Reactions: mercado and Blejda
as I wrote in another post... if you have a fairly powerful rifle, the fatboy is completely useless, even with the extension, don't waste any more money... you can also insert additional sound-absorbing material, dividers and whatever what do you prefer in the extension, the fat one is only good for YouTube guys... you need something else to create silence

There is absolutely no reason to watch YouTube any more I don't follow no body after years of lies, n over hipe products . Every paid or sponsored Chanel does the same. I really don't care about anything they have to say about any Subject.. if I'm interested in something I ask here , no better place to ask.. for a product review

The best I have found thus far are the Huma Air moderators, but I see they have changed their design as well, so I have no idea if their new design is as good or better than their last one. I had the original Fat Bay and was quite disappointed also. My Tanto and Koi were quieter! When it comes to moderators, I really don't believe bigger is better, I think it has a lot more to do with the design and implementation of the baffles.

There is absolutely no reason to watch YouTube any more I don't follow no body after years of lies, n over hipe products . Every paid or sponsored Chanel does the same. I really don't care about anything they have to say about any Subject.. if I'm interested in something I ask here , no better place to ask.. for a product review
Honestly, the only quality information I have picked up is through the forums. I feel the same way about YouTube reviews. The exception, of course is those rare people who are actually knowledgeable about the guns, and share information from actual experience using them over time, demonstrate how to break them down and rebuild them and things like that. Those are priceless.

The best I have found thus far are the Huma Air moderators, but I see they have changed their design as well, so I have no idea if their new design is as good or better than their last one. I had the original Fat Bay and was quite disappointed also. My Tanto and Koi were quieter! When it comes to moderators, I really don't believe bigger is better, I think it has a lot more to do with the design and implementation of the baffles.
They used to make very tight bores on theirs and as any manufacturer will soon reconcile with.... there are plenty of airguns on the market current or older that have poorly aligned shrouds or threads 😔

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I was suspicious of the fatboy from its release, but I have to admit my strongest feeling was a negative one for the aesthetic. I’m never after the most quiet option, I pick the one that gives me the best results on the target.

So far I’ve been successful with one of these
DFL Tanto 22/25
DFL Tatsu 177/22 and 22/25
DFL Sumo 22/25
0db 110 c
Buck Rail

I did order a Huma mod 30 4/0 25 cal Avalanche this morning to try out in my Notos and P35.

I looked into STO. The website is unique, I thought I went to an arts and crafts online store but the information about their moderators are very technical. It seems that they know what their talking about.

What's your experience with the Flax? It has a reasonable length to it. And I would like to get just one, the quietest since my budget had eaten away by the Fatboy.

Thanks, guys.

I have a FALX on a .30. Does a great job because the gun is a short barreled air wasting blow hard. Put it on another .30 and it did a great job but the gun wasn’t as accurate as it was with another mod. But that’s not STO’s fault. It’s just a game we have to play in airgun land.
Would you recommend STO Flax as the moderator of choice? Or do you have any other better experience with other brand and model?

Reactions: ndwind
No one moderator will be best on all guns, and very few people have enough different makes to make a really good recommendation - I could tell you what I like best, but that is based on the few that I have. Add in "confirmation bias" and a lot of advice can amount to "do what I did because I think it worked out great for me," even if something else would have worked better. I do not have an STO or Fat Boy moderator . . .

I find this independant test to be a great source of information - it won't tell you what is best (unless you are using that same gun), but it is full of great info: https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=182738.0

I have a ton of them. Yes, there are two brands that stand out in my opinion. But when I tried the two stand out brands on the gun with the STO on it, the STO is clearly better. So like the guy above me said, get out your wallet if you want to find the best for your gun. The good news is everything you buy will be better than a Fat Boy.

I have a ton of them. Yes, there are two brands that stand out in my opinion. But when I tried the two stand out brands on the gun with the STO on it, the STO is clearly better. So like the guy above me said, get out your wallet if you want to find the best for your gun. The good news is everything you buy will be better than a Fat Boy.
I don't care for the current crop of "one moderator does it all" designs but the Fat Boys seems to work for this guy? Maybe it's the rifle, moderator combination? I had a Tanto and a Tatsu. The Tanto did better on all my guns than the Tatsu but I wasn't running the kind of power levels the Tatsu seems to be designed to run. I'm saying most moderators are good on something, figuring that out is the fun part, I guess.

Last edited:
No offense but I quit watching airgun and airgun related equipment commercials a long time ago. I’m 55 and it used to be if I don’t see it, I won’t believe it. Nowadays, even if we see it (in a video), we still can’t believe it. Millennials do and it’s entertaining. I deal with it every day at work.

I don't care for the current crop of "one moderator does it all" designs but the Fat Boys seems to work for this guy? Maybe it's the rifle, moderator combination? I had a Tanto and a Tatsu. The Tanto did better on all my guns than the Tatsu but I wasn't running the kind of power levels the Tatsu seems to be designed to run. I'm saying most moderators are good on something, figuring that out is the fun part, I guess.

You know. This is one of those YouTube vids that made bought the Fatboy that I'm currently, desperate to look for a real moderator to replace it with.

Speaking for the replacement, it seems that the STO is a candidate. Anyone with other recommendations?

Thanks.