• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Donny Shogun vs Ronin

Sometimes a larger moderator is not as quiet as a smaller one. My Tanto almost always out performs my Tatsu, except when I push more than about 50 fpe through it.

Shogun: 1.6" x 8", Volume: 16.08 in^3; 7.2 oz.
Ronin: 2" x 6.25"; Volume: 19.63 in^3; 8.5 oz.

It seems to me that a baffle system needs some "optimal" pressure to perform well. It is easy to push a little air through the thing but as the velocity of the air within the moderator increases the turbulance ramps up and "feeds" upon itself. An engineer would say that the turbulance increased in a non-linear manner. The harder you push the harder it gets do the pushing.

I think that is why we see this behavior. There is nothing wrong with EITHER of his offerings. Neither is superior but this one works best at one pressure level and that one works best at another.

Empirical data like this should include the caliber of the AG, the projectile and the muzzle velocity OR fpe. If enough people post enough of this sort of empirical data we will be able to infer from that what we want to know.

Just my two.

Last edited: