• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Donny fl vs FX

Hi! Im using the factory fx (donny) moderator, and its quite enough. The sound of the hit of 1010 fps 33,5 grains slug its louder than the sound of the shot. I think that it depends if you are planning to use it in your backyard or in the open field. As a "regular" rule, more volume from de moderator, quiter will be. But as i state, is a "regular" rule, not always will be the same. The tune of your rifle helps too. If its wasting air will be louder than a well tuned airgun.

Hope that it helps.

(Srry for my bad writing, English its not my native language and im a little rusty)

Regards,

How much more quite is a Donny FL compared to a stock FX moderator? Is it worth upgrading to a Donny?

Which DonnyFL? Are you taking about the FX empty can vs the FX DonnyFL moderator upgrade? The empty can is surprisingly good but the DonnyFL FX moderator is significantly quieter and well worth the upgrade IMHO. You ah e to go to a sumo to be a little quieter.

Which DonnyFL? Are you taking about the FX empty can vs the FX DonnyFL moderator upgrade? The empty can is surprisingly good but the DonnyFL FX moderator is significantly quieter and well worth the upgrade IMHO. You ah e to go to a sumo to be a little quieter.
I was thinking the sumo DonnyFL. And yes the empty can FX.

I’m running an .22/800mm barrel shooting 34gr at 1020fps with a Donny FL Emperor. I actually put my factory FX on today just to see, and it is not even close. The empty FX was close to a 22LR, and the Emperor, well it just isn’t comparable. I also screwed on my buddy’s Donnny FL Fx and Tatsu they wasn’t the Emperor but much quieter than the factory.

So, I actually did a test last month on a couple of different moderators that I happened to have on hand. I used the NIOSH app on an IPad Pro. For a microphone I used a Blue Yeti mic attached to the IPad. The mic was positioned 12” to the right of the muzzle (the same position for both guns and all the moderators). All the measurements were taken indoors at one location, at the same general time, in sequential order. This way I had a consistency in placement, timeframe, and, hopefully, in measurement.

A couple key points:
First, the measurement system was not calibrated, so no one can say that these are definitive measurements of the loudness or effectiveness of the gun/moderator combination.
Second, given that there was consistency across the measurement they are comparable with each other (but not with any other measurements).
Third, the key measurements from the app are the Max. number, as well as the LA weighted equivalent (LAeg). The C weighted Peak (LC Peak) numbers are all similar, and are of too short a duration to be particularly relevant here, especially as it is below 140dBC. Above that level impulse noise may be present and this can be very damaging to hearing. This would be very relevant for Firearms, and for sure, if your airgun is that loud you could have a serious problem.

Anyway, this is my data

FX Impact MK2 .25

No Mod

LAeq 95.1
Max. 111.3dB
LC Peak. 124 dB
TWA. 59.2 (10s)

DFL Tanto
LAeq 91.5
Max. 108.7 dB
LC Peak. 123.2 dB
TWA. 56.2 dB (10s)

DFL Tanto (2)
LAeq 92.8
Max. 109.2 dB
LC Peak. 123.5 dB
TWA. 57.3 dB (8s)

DFL Tatsu
LAeq 94.1
Max. 109.9 dB
LC Peak. 123.6 dB
TWA. 58.0 dB (7s)

FX Hollow
LAeq 94.4
Max. 110.2 dB
LC Peak. 123.6 dB
TWA. 57.7 dB (7s)

FX by DFL
LAeq 88.9
Max. 108.4 dB
LC Peak. 123.4 dB
TWA. 56.2 dB (9s)

Hugget Belita
LAeq 94.3
Max. 109.5 dB
LC Peak. 123.4 dB
TWA. 57.3 dB (6s)

FX Wildcat MK3 BT Compact.25

No Moderator

LAeq 95.8
Max. 111.1 dB
LC Peak. 123.8 dB
TWA. 59.0dB (6s)

0dB
LAeq 92.8
Max. 109.9 dB
LC Peak. 123.8 dB
TWA. 56.8dB (8s)

DFL Tatsu
LAeq 92.0
Max. 108.9 dB
LC Peak. 123.6 dB
TWA. 55.3dB (8s)

A little late to this thread, but I'd strongly advise you try and find someone with the moderators you're interested that you can see/hear in person. Maybe even on the same rifle/caliber too. I watched reviews of PCP airguns that seemed near-silent, bought one plus some fancy moderators, and am shocked by how loud the whole setup is in person. (FX Wildcat MK3 BT Compact with the DonnyFL 'FX' moderator upgrade and then, hoping it'd be better, also the DonnyFL Ronin.) I don't know if the videos I saw were shot on an iPhone that was dampening the strongest sounds or whatever, but it's night and day vs expectations. Step carefully before you spend!

A little late to this thread, but I'd strongly advise you try and find someone with the moderators you're interested that you can see/hear in person. Maybe even on the same rifle/caliber too. I watched reviews of PCP airguns that seemed near-silent, bought one plus some fancy moderators, and am shocked by how loud the whole setup is in person. (FX Wildcat MK3 BT Compact with the DonnyFL 'FX' moderator upgrade and then, hoping it'd be better, also the DonnyFL Ronin.) I don't know if the videos I saw were shot on an iPhone that was dampening the strongest sounds or whatever, but it's night and day vs expectations. Step carefully before you spend!
You’re not late for me, CT45. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. So, you are saying that even the Ronin was loud? Was it at least significantly better than the Donny FX? What caliber were you running? Thank you. S7

You’re not late for me, CT45. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. So, you are saying that even the Ronin was loud? Was it at least significantly better than the Donny FX? What caliber were you running? Thank you. S7
So YMMV, etc, but: I have a Wildcat MK3 BT Compact in .30, DonnyFL Ronin and a DonnyFL FX 'moderator upgrade.' The former is about 2x the size of the latter. When shooting indoors (which is all I've done -- concrete garage, so probably much louder than outdoors or even indoors with less reverb-prone surfaces), I can't really tell a sound difference between the two. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Dunno. Turning the power up or down makes a large difference in sound. I wonder, in retrospect, if the reviews had the power cranked down to the minimum setting?

I am not sure what "YMMV" means. I certainly think the indoor shooting is making the sound louder. It does with my Crown MK II in .25 with the DonnyFL FX mod. Yes, the power turned down would reduce the report. Typically, YouTube reviewers I have watched do not turn the power way down. But you never know. I don't think so, but I do think the sound is lost somehow in the recording and transmission. Here's another thing. I presume your compact barrel is 500mm. Yes? Another YouTube guy who was using either a Maverick, or more probably, I believe, the Wildcat, said the sound was noticeably lower with his 600mm barrel than the 500mm one. I thought I heard this difference when watching, asked him, and he confirmed it.
S7