Donny FL this and Donny FL that... are they quieter than other brands?

Should be about equal in sound if everything else ( size) is about the same.

They sell well do to marketing in todays latest greatest gotta have market as they do look the best and many have disposable income and want every accessory they can get.

Many ( I would think pretty much all who are truly legally shooting ) do not NEED one so after having some fun sell them.

Not sure where the above trident prices are from but I would be happy to sell some for 10% off that price.

There are now many many options from overseas that suddenly will ship.

Do keep in mind they are made to fit unknown stack tolerances which is why we read of it being suggested folks go a size to large to avoid clipping. Having the smallest dia/ baffle holes is the difference in sound if everything else was equal. 

They look cool! A 16mm shroud will do as much but doesnt have the black gun tacticool look folks want.

Donnys stuff is as good as others. Other's are likely as good as donnys but he hit the market at the right time, has a sharp looking product with cool names AND has outstanding customers service. As 99% of folks do not need a ldc I would think they all work good enough and finding good customer service these day's sure can make something a good deal.

John

Yes, there is a stacking of tolerances. I had a Sumo .25 that clipped on my Verminator Mark II Extreme. Consensus was I should have got a .30. I have a Wildcat in .30 coming from Utah Airguns next week, and a Ronin in .30 in a couple of weeks when back in stock. So now what do I order? Is there one bigger than .30? FWIW, I gave the .25 Sumo to kayaker. He tried it on two .22's-and it clipped on both.

I think that Donny's work is good but not perfect. I got an insert for Leshiy and after mounting - it was off axis. It does not clip pellets but it is not perfectly in line. I tried it on multiple barrels even outside of Leshiy's silencer tin. Every try revealed a slight off axis alignment. I had to increase the holes which slide onto the barrel and then I aligned the insert manually and clamped it tight with a hard oring.

I have both DonnyFL’s and Huggett’s. DonnyFL Ronin and FX addition Tanto are pretty good. I’ve modified them by removing the DonnyFL stock felt and replacing it with high density foam. The report from the shots are a lot more muted and have a lower pitch now. Like this I am very satisfied. But, the Huggett Standard or Snipe in my opinion is the best moderator out. Have the Huggett Belita as well and it does very well also. DonnyFL does great but from a quality stand point Huggett has more durable anodizing (DonnyFL moderators scratch up very easily) and doesn’t need any modifications to be quiter. DonnyFL will do the job just fine. JMO Huggett’s are better looking and of better quality. DonnyFL has a variety of adapters for various airguns and I’m not knocking his products one bit because I use them and they do exactly what I need them to do. I’m just saying, in my experience once I install a Huggett moderator it becomes a permanent part of my airguns, they have been that good for me.

Fabius,

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's incredible how well the Tanto performs for it's smaller size and price. It's likely you won't be disappointed.

Let us know how it works for you!

The Tanto is surprisingly effective considering its size. It and the Tatsu are my favorites from Donnyfl. 

30fpe and under the Tanto really shines. 

The Tatsi does great at 45fpe when coupled with an OEM shroud.

I will add that I am not as impressed with my Sumo....

I compared a huggett beilita to a donny tanto and felt the FL was much quieter than the huggett...just my 2 cents. Ps both on the same gun

I will probably get a Huggett eventually. They should have one for the .30 cal Wildcat in about a year (according to Mike at UA). For now, I'll go with the Ronin and hope for no clipping like I had on the Sumo, since there's no other off the shelf option. Then, I'll just sell the DFL. Sounds like there should be a good market for it.

I have both DonnyFL’s and Huggett’s. DonnyFL Ronin and FX addition Tanto are pretty good. I’ve modified them by removing the DonnyFL stock felt and replacing it with high density foam. The report from the shots are a lot more muted and have a lower pitch now. Like this I am very satisfied. But, the Huggett Standard or Snipe in my opinion is the best moderator out. Have the Huggett Belita as well and it does very well also. DonnyFL does great but from a quality stand point Huggett has more durable anodizing (DonnyFL moderators scratch up very easily) and doesn’t need any modifications to be quiter. DonnyFL will do the job just fine. JMO Huggett’s are better looking and of better quality. DonnyFL has a variety of adapters for various airguns and I’m not knocking his products one bit because I use them and they do exactly what I need them to do. I’m just saying, in my experience once I install a Huggett moderator it becomes a permanent part of my airguns, they have been that good for me.

Meant to quote the above.

Everyone agrees that Donny's service is second to none. IMO, his moderators are just as well made as Huggett and just as quiet as any brand I've ever owned That includes Weihrauch, Hogan Decimeater, Daystate Airstream, and Neil Clague. The least effective is a Daystate Airstream. I truly admire the innovative design of DonnyFL moderators which don't try to just copy existing designs. He is an innovator, not an imitator. Instead of the ubiquitous spacer and washer internals, or a hair roller and washer internal design, his moderators have a machined unicore baffle system that perfectly fits inside the body with a snug o-ring seal. It now appears that other manufacturers are trying to imitate Donny, rather than Donny copying their design. Both Daystate and Airguns of Arizona are now offering brands that seem to be a reaction to Donny's designs. He is an entreprenuer who earned his stelllar reputation from quality, service, and performance in an already crowded marketplace. Bravo, Donny!

Donny LDC are overprice imo. They usually go for $150-250 for one. Way too much. You can get good quality LDC on eBay for a lot cheaper. Also I've used TKO LDC, they work great and only $40-80. I've also used cheap LDC from eBay, $40 and they work just as well. I wouldn't spend the money on a donnyfl LDC. But that's just me. If you have the money and don't mind spending it then go for it. 

Even went and found the above linked post before clicking on this one.

Some of the writing might exercise your mind but just great very scientific details on the actual sound of a good number of available units. A great read of the utilitarian user.

And yet again I'll mention that for direct barrel mount ( stacked tolerances on shroud mounted rigs may well require much larger clearance) with a normal can style the closest id tolerance from stripping baffle to end cap - and the only real way to do that AS tight as possible is with the barrel in hand - will be the quietest. Just a 16mm RWS break with tight tolerance baffles is as silent as anything but a full AZ shroud, that I've used anyway. 

No doubt Donny is the most popular right now in the U.S., also the first go go all out 100% "I sell airgun silencers and 100% have what you need in stock". Now he is International ( just based on UK forums reading and is it still window shopping on the Internet?). Might be the push more business with the ability to manufacturer - or contract out- needed to step up and make there own. Anyone remember the 1st Stalker big-bores with , well heck we didnt even talk about the barrel attachment. The AA4xx was the first mass factory shrouded air rifle imported here ad it wasn't that long ago.

The "industry" is now out in the open more options & prices should be poping up fast.

THE one that stands out as maybe more interesting is the one with original design to it, not just a can.

Personally love a 16mm shroud that is quieter than a marauder, looks nicer.

Gotsta keep the inner dia. CLOSE for efficiency.

John