Donny FL this and Donny FL that... are they quieter than other brands?

Haven't been on this site in quite some time and thought I'd check in today and see about the Huggett Shrouds that are now becoming more readily available. and if they were really any quieter than DonnyFl's shrouds.

I found this post and found it quite helpful !

I'll stick with one of the many shrouds I have from Donny. 

This gentleman really knows how to run a business, listens to his customers and offers the absolute BEST customer service I've ever encountered, bar none !!!!!

As to a note I saw in this post, and I've pasted in below, Mr. Clague is no longer on any of the forums because he was KICKED OFF due to his extremely rude behavior and comments back to ANYONE that dared to question his shrouds (me being one of them).

I worked with him back when the very first Marauder 25 cals came out and sent my gun to him. It was the first 25 cal Mrod he'd ever worked on.

What I got back from him was a complete disappointment to say the least. After repeated calls to him about it he finally stopped taking my calls so I just went to the forums and posted my experience with him for others to see and let them make their own decisions about dealing with him or not.

Pasted comment from early in this thread: He did not leave of his own accord, he was banned !

"During this time, Neil Clague was very active on the forums, and most people knew about him. He is capable of making some really custom LDC's for whatever gun you have. The problem was that because he built each LDC as a custom product, the wait time was long depending on how busy he was, and his prices varied based on what you wanted. Unfortunately, most customers, including myself, didn't know whether an LDC or custom shroud would be the better option. He eventually left the forums as far as I know but is still in business. The problem is that you can't just go to his website and order an LDC and have it in your hands in a few days and test it out."

One last comment about another note in this thread(pasted below): I have four of Clagues shrouds laying around in my "JUNK" box and would be way too ashamed to pass these off to anyone else, so therefore I dare not put them out there for sale !!!!

"I do wonder why (compared to other LDC's) are their so many in the classifieds for sale used? You almost never see a Neil C one for sale used, and I can tell you they are top notch. Maybe that's why?"

Apologies, this was not intended as a Clague bashing post, just wanted new airgun owners/prospective shroud buyers to know what I've encountered, like so many others.

Mr. Clague MAY do alright in the very high caliber world but from what I've personally seen and read on the 30 cals and on down your best bet is to stick with someone like DonnyFl who puts out a time tested product, offers reasonable prices and customer service beyond what anyone would normally expect. He will definitely go above and beyond what's expected to insure whatever you purchase from him works exactly as you'd like on you gun, and if not he'll more than gladly work with you until you're 100% satisfied !!!!!!!!

So nice to see that we airgunners now have so many other options out there to us for keeping our toys as back yard friendly as possible !

Reactions: n2stuff
...Toss a taped on 1 liter soda bottle to the end of your muzzle with no baffle ....

have tried that on my Huben K1. The bottle flew out like an arrow and punch a big hole on the target paper ......

Lmao! I just read this for the first time. My post was in no way meant to bash Donnyfl or state his designs are inferior btw, they are great...but air gun moderator technology is all very basic and based on the same principles, and I personally can't say I've ever seen one out perform another by any large margin. That being said Donnyfl and his products are outstanding from workmanship to customer support and I have read nothing but overwhelmingly positive things in his regard. He is definitely a go to person for the air gun industry and moderators IMO. 

Another interesting thought with moderators off topic, is that the volume in the moderator, larger that it be...means there is more mass for the residual barrel pressure to push out, which requires more force/work further dissipating / slowing and disrupting the audible event of rapid residual air pressure exiting the moderator. Thats why shooting through a 50 foot hose would be MUCH more effective then shooting through the same volume but configured more like a trashcan...due to length / time and having to push all the atmospheric air out / do more work. JMO and food for thought! 

One last comment about another note in this thread(pasted below): I have four of Clagues shrouds laying around in my "JUNK" box and would be way too ashamed to pass these off to anyone else, so therefore I dare not put them out there for sale !!!!

I'm gonna call BS on this, I'm not ashamed to use them, I'll pay the shipping and you can send them to me.

RBolton6,

Apologies, this was not intended as a Clague bashing post, just wanted new airgun owners/prospective shroud buyers to know what I've encountered, like so many others.

From the fourth paragraph of your post on, it was ALL about bashing. Not just bashing, but bashing someone who cannot get on this forum to defend themselves. I don't know you or Neil..or what transpired between you two..but your attack smacks of a disgruntled customer's internet vendetta/revenge. Trust me, I run an internet software business and I know firsthand exactly what that type of behavior looks like.

So I am puzzled. If you think so little of the Neil C. moderators, why did you purchase four of them? You don't have to answer that, really..it was a rhetorical question.

Sorry about taking this thread off-track. Get it back to offering positive information. 

BTW, I own a DonnyFL Tatsu and it works great!

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm with Rob, that was a total blasting on Neil. I've owned 3 different custom LDCs from Neil and all were top notch and performed great. Others who have them now also think the same thing. 

Donny's stuff is great as well though no doubt! 2 totally different styles though. Made to order/custom and mass produced. Both work excellent and I've supported both multiple times.

Gentlemen,

NOWHERE in my post did I mention that I'd PURCHASED four Clague Cans !!!

I stated I had four laying around in a junk drawer, the first being the one he originally made for my 25 MROD, which was a complete failure.

The second and third ones I have are from a hunting buddy that had a 25 cal MROD and I jumped the gun in letting him know someone out there was making a can for them.

Said hunting buddy received his can from Neil and had the same impression as I did - Junk !

When he contacted Neil he was told a new model was coming out and he would be one of the first ones to receive it.

It came in and again, you guessed it - JUNK !

He gave both of those clunkers to me and told me "no more recommendations please" !

The fourth Clague can I received was a Freebie from one of the very best Airgunners any of the forums have ever know. He now works for FXUSA....Hint Hint !

He sent it to me and asked me to try it out on my Impact 30 cal. This thing was almost as large as a 2 liter soda bottle and was completely worthless !

Matter of fact, when I called him back and reported my results, I was told "don't even bother mailing it back, throw the thing in the trash" !! 

So, yes indeed maybe this was a little bashing but well deserved in my opinion !!!!

Had Clague not been so pompous and disrespectful he might still be allowed on these forums to answer up to the many disgruntled customers.

Take time to sort through the forums, find and read the "back and forth" between Neil and a very young man that was new to air-gunning and had purchased a can from him.

This young kid had a VERY legitimate complaint and Mr. Clague proceeded to rip this poor boy apart on the forums, blaming the boy for the can's poor performance !

So in my opinion you reap exactly what you sow !!!!! Clague got exactly what he deserved and needs a lesson in quality customer service !

Never once have ANY of you read one single bad word about Donny and his products on here !!!!

And that says it all !!!!!!!!

Now back to my original intent on getting on the forum.

Utah Airguns is now offering a Huggett FX Wildcat Shroud for close to the same price as Donny's Emperor.

I currently have his Shogun on the end of my Wildcat and it helps with the bark somewhat but it's really defeating the intent of a short compact bullpup.

I have no doubt the Emperor would tame my 25 cal but it would just be getting that much larger and the compact factor fading away.

The Huggett Wildcat shroud is short and the diameter is the same, end to end.....Just not a warm fuzzy about it being able to quiet the gun down.

Trying to decide on the Huggett or go big with the Emperor.

I need a very quiet rifle where I live and shoot.

Donny's Sumo sits on the end of my FX Royale 500 25 cal now and it's by the far the quietest PCP I've ever shot, albeit quite the long gun :)

Trying to get my Wildcat to that sound level, if possible and trying not to turn my little pup into a long beast !

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

A DonnyFL Emperor will more than likely be quieter than the other smaller volume moderators. But here's the catch. With a completely moderated rifle, after the shot - 1) the flight of the pellet and 2) the pellet impact on target will be significantly louder than the shot itself. And given you mentioned you need a very quiet rifle where you live, even if the shot is perfectly silent, the "whizzing" of a 25 cal pellet + its impact on target will be where it won't be quiet at all(can your neighbors handle the pellet whizzing and target impact sounds?). You can control 2) by shooting into a "soft" backstop, but if you have ever stood down range, or just to the side as the pellet flew by, you will find out that the pellet flight path is distinctly loud and high pitched, and that is something you can't control and experienced ears will know.

As an example, my all stock 25 cal FX Impact X 700mm with its factory shroud and factory moderator, the 1) pellet flight + 2) target impact, when heard from downrange is way louder than the shot itself. So, unless I can reduce the signature of 1) and 2), i don't see a need for after market moderators for my FX Impact.

My 357 W.A.R Flex on the other hand, has the DonnyFL Emperor and it needs it in spades.

My point? It only makes sense to moderate the loudness of the shot down to the loudness of the pellet in-flight(whizzing) and target impact. After all, any larger moderator won't reduce the sound of the pellet whizzing its way to the target and impacting it.

My point? It only makes sense to moderate the loudness of the shot down to the loudness of the pellet in-flight(whizzing) and target impact. After all, any larger moderator won't reduce the sound of the pellet whizzing its way to the target and impacting it.

Aloha,

frank320 is correct on hearing the pellet & impact on the target. I have to be very very quiet, my neighbors complain all the time. So I tried using different materials inside of my donnyfl & hugget to make them quieter and it worked but they still hear the impact of the pellet.

Aloha,

Keone

Frank230 and Keone,

Thanks for the feedback, and on that note yesterday I had my daughter shoot the 25 cal Wildcat while I stood downrange safely aside.

I was shocked to say the least !

The sound of the gun was barely heard from 40 yards down range. What was loud was it smacking into the target :)

For the sake of comparison I had her shoot several more shots into a large soft dirt backstop I have at the edge of my property....Next to nothing !!!

Guess I'm going to have to give up the metal silhouette and other "hard" targets.

Again for the sake of comparison I removed the Shogun and put the original FX shroud back on the gun and had her fire several more rounds.

What a difference.....It was fairly loud. Needless to say the Shogun was put back on asap :)

Kudos to Donny and his work, I'm going to stick with his cans at this point.

Thanks again,

Rick

Aloha,

What other materials have you tried to date in your shrouds ?

I've read a lot about the one inch high density foam and it's effectiveness, never tried it yet though.

A quick search on the internet years ago showed that melamine foam was one of the most sound absorbent materials out there.

Care to take a guess how easy it is to find ? Take a look under your wife's sink and you'll most likely find a box of Magic Eraser pads - Melamine Foam :)

I've used this on every one of Donny's shrouds from that point on. 

It seems to make a noticeable difference to my ear so I stuck with it.

The only drawback is that it will need to be replaced at some point from the wear and tear which occurs more quickly than on Donny's felt liners.

No biggie though, it only takes minutes to cut out what is needed to create a new liner.

Thanks,

Rick

Hello friends. I recently purchased a hugget belita for my FX Wildcat Mk1 .22 (longer shroud). To my utter disappointment, the sound reduction was hardly noticeable. I am planning to purchase a Donnyfl Tanto. Can anyone having used both, belita and Tanto, guide me as to how much difference is in the sound suppression. Will the Tanto work better than the Belita?

Regards.

I have multiple LDC's from tko, Donnyfl, Wolf (Poland), Clague, and a few Ebay vendors. I've yet to own a Hugget.

I like them all for different reasons. Donnyfl makes a quality product that is shipped promptly with excellent pre and post sale communication and support he has a very easy to use online store. I currently have 5 Donnyfl LDC's and they all work well in the applications I use them in. 

There are likely more quiet LDC'S available but I've bought more Donnyfl's due to the factors stated above.

I have several different kinds of LDC,s I look for the very best because silent is what I need and so I have probably 10 different kinds some most have never Hurd of. But quite some are some just change the tone to a deeper tone but not really quite. As for what's the best out there no doubt in my mind Donny fl. Not only the quietest but the most amazing customer service ever he goes way beyond to help you anyway he can. His build quality is even more impressive so for me Donny fl is the only place I will put on all my airguns. Hope he makes ones for powder burners one day that will be amazing if he did.