• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Donny Fl silencers

While true the industry standards are as listed for SAE sizes. The op was asking specifically about thread pitches in relation to air rifles vs firearms. My post was to address his specific query and not be pedantic...

Of my many many class 3 devices I have absolutely none that use any thread pitch other than industry standard...ie 1/2 x 28 class 3, 5/8 x 24 class 3 etc... in SAE. There are a couple others but the pitch escapes me, like the 3/4 dia version.

How many do you own and details that are for firearms and in a different pitch? Not including metric like 18 x 1 LH?

@steve-l your
snarky reply about google is both unnecessary and exactly what to do if you do not want to proliferate the sport through the technological media available today. Just to be clear proliferation is survival of the sport long term.
My reply was neither snarky nor intended to inhibit the sport. My reply pointed out that thread class is a descriptor of thread fit. Which may or may not apply to firearms. The descriptor "Class" can apply to threads throughout industry. My point is that your use of Class, as pertaining to firearms is not adequate and inaccurate by itself. I further suggest that without very expensive thread gages, you could not identify thread class in any case.

Reactions: rcs9250
Class 3 refers to a category of firearm. In this case, suppressors. Most have threads that attach to barrels and those threads have sizes. IE 1/2 x 20, 5/16 x 18 etc.
It can Jeff, if he referenced the NFA of 1934, but he did not. He referenced threads, not firearm classes as defined by the NFA. Hence, my appropriate comment.

Class 3 refers to a category of firearm. In this case, suppressors. Most have threads that attach to barrels and those threads have sizes. IE 1/2 x 20, 5/16 x 18 etc.
Actually Steve is correct. The threads used for suppressors are called class 3 threads and have a different design and way the pitch is cut than machine threads or acme threads. This is critical in firearms suppressors to maintain concentricity to the bore axis and avoid baffle strikes or endcap strikes which can be, but not necessairily, considerably more catastrophic than airgun strikes.

The best info I can share is in this link.

Reactions: Dawkind
My reply was neither snarky nor intended to inhibit the sport. My reply pointed out that thread class is a descriptor of thread fit. Which may or may not apply to firearms. The descriptor "Class" can apply to threads throughout industry. My point is that your use of Class, as pertaining to firearms is not adequate and inaccurate by itself. I further suggest that without very expensive thread gages, you could not identify thread class in any case.
Pedantic at best. Thread pitch gauges are neither difficult to come by nor expensive for quality accuracy.

Class 3 is in fact a spec and an industry accepted as an descriptor. Especially when replying to an OP to try and make a useful and direct correlation to the OP's question. There was no need to address an elephant that was not in the room by flexing an apparent knowledge that would do nothing but confuse the OP. In a 2 dimensional interface for commo it usually is best to keep it sime for dumb a$$es like me, simple crayon eating Marines than to dazzle the community at large by flexing what you think you know...

See above like to TBAC for clarification thats what I use to cut threads to spec...

@steve-l please rest assured I have no beef with you and only in good commos and info for people.

Reactions: Dawkind
I concur with Steve. I did not read his reply as “snarky”. It was matter of fact, making a simple statement.
I believe root cause of the issue was mobilemail’s “1/3-28” spec in his post. Pretty darn sure he meant 1/2-28 and just fat fingered the 3 instead of a 2. Very easy to do especially on smartphones. I try to always read my desired post before tapping POST REPLY, but some times I forget. If I see it later I edit the post.

I concur with Steve. I did not read his reply as “snarky”. It was matter of fact, making a simple statement.
I believe root cause of the issue was mobilemail’s “1/3-28” spec in his post. Pretty darn sure he meant 1/2-28 and just fat fingered the 3 instead of a 2. Very easy to do especially on smartphones. I try to always read my desired post before tapping POST REPLY, but some times I forget. If I see it later I edit the post.
"Google is your friend" is never a helpful reply.... at the very least its passive aggressive. Forums are by nature, as we all profess to believe, for the exchange of information and ideas. This means threads and subjects are going to get cussed and discussed over and over. It is far more productive for the sake of communication of to answer a question asked with an answer that addresses the OPs query than it is to junk a thread up with "google is your friend"...

Reactions: Dawkind and darylm
I think the point of the whole thread size question was why the org would be worried when they aren’t interchangeable. I believe this is true? I don’t think you can easily just thread a PB suppressor on an airgun or vice versa. Not sure I even understand the over tech argument as I’m a dumb truck driver. Anyway the actual answer to the question is that it doesn’t matter that they are not easily interchangeable. That org can pretty much do whatever it wants. Doesn’t need a basis. It saw a company getting really big that sold devices to silence an item that shot a projectile. Enough basis for them.

"Google is your friend" is never a helpful reply.... at the very least its passive aggressive. Forums are by nature, as we all profess to believe, for the exchange of information and ideas. This means threads and subjects are going to get cussed and discussed over and over. It is far more productive for the sake of communication of to answer a question asked with an answer that addresses the OPs query than it is to junk a thread up with "google is your friend"...
I’m gonna have to stick with my opinion. I was raised in the 50’s, son of a World War II veteran father, we were just raised different back then. Insult my mother or father and we have a problem. A meaningless comment on the web, not even worth fretting over. In todays world people are told what makes them feel bad.
It’s like the govt telling us it was disrespectful to name U.S. military helicopters after native American tribes. Native Americans were honored with those names and made it known. Woke govt told the sheep what to think.
Cleveland Indians, Baaaaaaaad. Cleveland Guardians goooooood. 😂😂

DAE4E770-8626-4D00-BAB1-B2D5F7270D9B.jpeg

Reactions: ACard
I’m gonna have to stick with my opinion. I was raised in the 50’s, son of a World War II veteran father, we were just raised different back then. Insult my mother or father and we have a problem. A meaningless comment on the web, not even worth fretting over. In todays world people are told what makes them feel bad.
It’s like the govt telling us it was disrespectful to name U.S. military helicopters after native American tribes. Native Americans were honored with those names and made it known. Woke govt told the sheep what to think.
Cleveland Indians, Baaaaaaaad. Cleveland Guardians goooooood. 😂😂

View attachment 375646
We are of the same era, I have just made it a mission to embrace technology since its here to stay and to that end learn more effective ways to communicate than I did as an E-8 in the USMC

Reactions: darylm and Dawkind
Pedantic at best. Thread pitch gauges are neither difficult to come by nor expensive for quality accuracy.

Class 3 is in fact a spec and an industry accepted as an descriptor. Especially when replying to an OP to try and make a useful and direct correlation to the OP's question. There was no need to address an elephant that was not in the room by flexing an apparent knowledge that would do nothing but confuse the OP. In a 2 dimensional interface for commo it usually is best to keep it sime for dumb a$$es like me, simple crayon eating Marines than to dazzle the community at large by flexing what you think you know...

See above like to TBAC for clarification thats what I use to cut threads to spec...

@steve-l please rest assured I have no beef with you and only in good commos and info for people.
I am trying to be nice, A thread pitch gage will not identify a thread class. There are special expensive inspection gauges that are used for that purpose. Secondly, mounting threads never assure proper alignment of anything. Precise alignment is always achieved with a register of some sort machined into the mating parts. In most cases clipping is caused because there is no register to the barrel especially when the moderator is attached to the shroud in the case of many air guns. Let's also be clear, this class discussion was caused because you used the words "class 3 threads". What you wrote, I suspect, is not what you meant.

I am trying to be nice, A thread pitch gage will not identify a thread class. There are special expensive inspection gauges that are used for that purpose. Secondly, mounting threads never assure proper alignment of anything. Precise alignment is always achieved with a register of some sort machined into the mating parts. In most cases clipping is caused because there is no register to the barrel especially when the moderator is attached to the shroud in the case of many air guns. Let's also be clear, this class discussion was caused because you used the words "class 3 threads". What you wrote, I suspect, is not what you meant.
Somehow we are on exactly the same page but different frequencies. I have been cutting threads of all classes and most other types of machining operations for 40+ years and am intimately aware of the differences. My replies were possibly to concrete in logic. I saw no reason to go into that depth of discussion when the question was for the poster that asked directly about pitches. It referenced only pitch so clearly he was concerned with pitch vs. class of thread In relation to difference between FA vs AG devices. I used the phrase Class III as a catch all as it is commonly used in the world of FA, poorly articulated and agreeably a bit lazy I will give you that. The poster I replied to was not concerned (at least in his query) with strikes, only the different sizes commonly used between the two sporting endevors.

Reactions: gendoc