Dome vs Semi-dome?

My guns loves all these .22 pellets but I want more knock down power so I’m moving away from the 18.13gr. I understand there are 25grs too but it slows my fps.

Question is, will the 21.53gr semi-dome produce more knock down power or the heavier dome 22.07gr? Or doesn’t matter because caliber size is .22?

IMG_5067.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

Imo, distance is the biggest deciding factor. I have to believe that the domed will get better bc at longer ranges. But at shorter distances, the flattop should cause a little more shock power. Either way, a noggin hit is going to produce the same outcome.
I’m shooting these 18.13gr @900fps and had many occasions where a headshots to fox squirrel should be instant lights out but they don’t cease or drop right away. They just flop or run a few yards before they expire. Been using 18.13gr on all my .22 for the last decade, time for a change.

The 22.07gr is slightly more accurate. Hoping these heavier pellets will change the outcome.

I use 21 grain H&N Baracuda Match in my P35-22 and the five squirrels I've taken with it were all DRT. 3 brain shots and 2 body shots. 8 to 15 ounce squirrels. 8 to 25 yard shots. Not much experience but I've mainly been concentrating on my P35-177 I got at the same time. I think all the pellets exited. Heavier pellets will penetrate deeper which may help. I pick pellets based upon accuracy. I shoot the 21 grain because the gun came shooting very accurately but a bit fast for 18 grain JSBs. It was a little more accurate with the H&Ns. I think having an exit hole helps which is more likely with heavier pellets but probably pretty likely with the 18s too. The 177 kills them very dead too but it seems to take a little more time (a few steps longer) for them to figure out they are dead. The 177 rarely exits (but did today on a body shot a little further back than I intended). I also brain shot a 8 lb raccoon with the P35-22 and the 21 grain H&Ns. Worked fine.

All three will likely have similar terminal performance. It takes deformation or expansion of the projectile to transfer more energy into the target. Sometimes even perfect brain shots will leave the body/spinal nerves firing for a few seconds resulting in movement of otherwise dead critter. I've seen it often in squirrels even with .22 long rifle hollowpoints. My favorite pellet so far is the 18 grain JSB; I've tested the 21.53 semidome JTS too, but not the heavier dome that you have. I haven't found out a ballistic coefficient for them yet.

Reactions: pcp_perry
I dont like dome because I've hit a squirrel in the next and it slides right through. its shot placement, even if you knock them out the tree with a hit to the leg they'll still scurry off. in my experience you want something that has expansion so it literally causes an internal explosion. its gonna be the hades, h&n barracuda extreme, polymag. these hit hard like a wad cut, and immediately expand, so even if you miss the brain or heart by a few millimeters, this shockwave makes up for it and they'll be DRT

I dont like dome because I've hit a squirrel in the next and it slides right through. its shot placement, even if you knock them out the tree with a hit to the leg they'll still scurry off. in my experience you want something that has expansion so it literally causes an internal explosion. its gonna be the hades, h&n barracuda extreme, polymag. these hit hard like a wad cut, and immediately expand, so even if you miss the brain or heart by a few millimeters, this shockwave makes up for it and they'll be DRT
I don't disagree with you but hitting them in a leg with a great expanding round and they'll still scurry off.

I agree about legs. I hit one in the front leg with my P35-25 and it seemed to have a little more trouble jumping tree to tree but did not come down until I hit it in the head. I did not know I hit the leg until I was cleaning it. I hit the leg because I made the mistake of trying to shoot through some twigs. The twigs deflected the pellet. I've noticed squirrels hit with one of my 25s or my higher powered 22 drop more quickly than the lower powered 22 or the 177. But with a well placed shot they all take squirrels fine. I don't use expanding projectiles in my airguns, however. The smaller 22 and the 177 do not have penetration margin to give up to get expansion in my opinion. The bigger guns have the penetration margin but kill so quickly I don't see the point of making bigger holes. Most important variable is putting the pellet in the right part of the squirrel.

I agree about legs. I hit one in the front leg with my P35-25 and it seemed to have a little more trouble jumping tree to tree but did not come down until I hit it in the head. I did not know I hit the leg until I was cleaning it. I hit the leg because I made the mistake of trying to shoot through some twigs. The twigs deflected the pellet. I've noticed squirrels hit with one of my 25s or my higher powered 22 drop more quickly than the lower powered 22 or the 177. But with a well placed shot they all take squirrels fine. I don't use expanding projectiles in my airguns, however. The smaller 22 and the 177 do not have penetration margin to give up to get expansion in my opinion. The bigger guns have the penetration margin but kill so quickly I don't see the point of making bigger holes. Most important variable is putting the pellet in the right part of the squirrel.
Most of my .22 are high power, 33+fpe. I agree, even good placement shots some still get squirrelly, flop into the land of no return and never to be seen again. I have no problems with .25’s, they are always instant lights out! I’ll try these 22.07 for a season and see they perform. Will report back.