• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dog training ends with wife liking the Notos!

We have a very reactive German Shepherd named Amos(it's a characters name in The Expanse book & tv series and my screenname). We've done a lot of work to make him less so but one stumbling block remains. I can't pick up an airgun without Amos going crazy. I think it goes back to the first time I pulled out a bb gun and shot a chipmunk that dropped right at his feet. I pick up a gun and he just starts barking and running around losing his mind. He's smart but somehow guns short circuit his brain and he can't control himself.
Anyway I got the Notos and the story remain unchanged. My wife, to her credit, said it's time to desensitize him. So she had me grab the gun and just keep it with me all day. He would go crazy whining and barking if I shouldered the gun, which my wife had me do and just wait him out. Luckily our neighbors are pretty far off but I had to get ear plugs! Anyway we finally got him to calm down but somewhere in the process my wife said let me hold it.
Next thing you know she's asking how to cock it, how to take the safety off, and then finally she asks if I put the red dot on something will I hit it? I said yes if you are aiming at something in zeroed range. Like that can hanging on the garden fence? Again I said yes and the next thing I hear is the can being hit!
She's a freaking natural and actually had fun! I knew I should've bought a second one!
I'm hoping she'll get her hunting license and go squirrel hunting with me.
At least I have a new target shooting partner and now a dog that's finally calming down around guns! Maybe he'll get to a point where he can come hunting with me, I hope so because he sees and hears way better than me and would be a good spotter.
Either way it's a win! Never thought my wife would want to shoot! And I definitely thought I'd never have a calm dog...that's still a work in progress.

It was a good day and I know I'm lucky!
But I should've just bought your gun @L.Leon. I'd rather have 2 Brocock's!
But I'll be happy with his and her Notos.

The dog is another story! It's almost like back to square one each day, almost. He's just not getting it as fast as I know he can so it's driving me crazy. Upside is I have less pests to shoot because he's barking his head off everytime I shoulder a gun.

Reactions: L.Leon
It was a good day and I know I'm lucky!
But I should've just bought your gun @L.Leon. I'd rather have 2 Brocock's!
But I'll be happy with his and her Notos.

The dog is another story! It's almost like back to square one each day, almost. He's just not getting it as fast as I know he can so it's driving me crazy. Upside is I have less pests to shoot because he's barking his head off everytime I shoulder a gun.
Smart move! If you bought an Atomic or Ranger XR, it would become your wife’s… And you can have that Notos back!🤓