Doesn't the FX Maverick barrel tensioning system just try to rip the barrel out that is only held in by a set screw?

I am confused. The FX Maverick barrel tensioning systems I've seen all look like they are trying to pull the entire barrel housing out of the gun. And as far as I can tell, the only thing keeping the barrel in the gun is a tiny set screw. I must be missing something and I hope someone can shine some light on this for me. It seems like the tighter you try to tension the barrel, the tighter you have to crank down the set screw into the barrel. Cranking the set screw into the barrel hard sounds really bad to me.

I would love to have a rock-solid barrel on my FX Maverick sniper 30 cal, but this is scary. I hope someone can make me not scared of tensioning my barrel.

grungy
Grungy I put a tension barrel on my 25 cal maverick. I actually bought a carbon fiber tube before the bullet central and fx kit came out. I got Donnyfl to machine a 1/2 20 male to female adapter. What I did was torque the set screw to 25 inch pounds. That’s the smaller one. The bigger one is a plug. DO NOT tighten that one up you Will mushroom your transfer port. Then I put my tensioner on and tightened up the adapter. I went hand tight and all I could turn it was another 1/3 to 1/2 turn passed hand tight and it made a big improvement stiffness. I shot about 500 plus rounds since I did it and the barrel has not pulled out. Just don’t go wild on it lol

5BE159CB-7150-4F47-9EA3-F96342FF203C.jpeg

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between a true “tensioning” system and a stiffening (or better securing) system and this may be getting convoluted due to fantastic marketing. The reality is FX offers guns that allows one to replace/change barrels very easily. In order to accomplish this, their barrel attachment system leads to other problems (as stated above and in many other instances). FX and diehard fans are trying to come up with solutions to this problem; they are trying to “stiffen” or “better” secure this lacking design. Some of these designs seem to improve and kudos to those who help find improvements.

However, let’s consider really what’s going on. One purchases an expensive rifle and spends countless hrs and invests even more money trying to fix a factory issue(s). If you are a tinkerer, enjoy problem solving, and have the time and money then this may be a great option for you. FX has definitely earned their place in the airgun world, there is no denying that.

If you want an airgun that is a “grab n go,” one that has both an true tensioning system AND a stiff barrel system, may I suggest one to consider the American Air Arms Evol. Since it’s inception 5-6 yrs ago, these rifles have implemented these two systems. The barrel (1/2” diameter barrel) is truly tensioned between two barrel nuts after which the barrel system (barrel, shroud, locking nuts, and moderator) is then threaded to the action block much like a firearm. This creates excellent barrel rigidity and makes for a fantastic, accurate rifle that’s built like a tank.

Sorry for being long winded but in summary, no airgun is perfect. Certain airgun brands fit certain people better than others. Certain companies advertise better than others. Some brands are suited for certain applications and others in other applications. And some are real gems that are just overlooked.

Cheers!

Hi guys. Thank you all for your feedback on this thread. It is all useful information -- not just for me, but for other AGN readers as well.
I haven't decided whether or not to employ a tensioning system, but now I know what to consider when evaluating such a system.

Even the post of Mr Gimongus Pipe Wrench needing a 6-foot cheater bar is not a post in vein.

grungy

I fitted the FX barrel tensioning system to a .30 m3 belonging to a friend. He had a problem with droop when he fitted his heavy moderator. It certainly stiffened the barrel to a good degree, but I found that on tightening and slackening the mod, the nut moved, so I eventually blue locktited it in position. No more problems.
For the price of the barrel kit, it makes me wonder if I should just buy a LW barrel blank and have it machined to fit the FX. I know barrels can be a lottery, but I might just try a .25...