Doesn't the FX Maverick barrel tensioning system just try to rip the barrel out that is only held in by a set screw?

M

Member 32425

I am confused. The FX Maverick barrel tensioning systems I've seen all look like they are trying to pull the entire barrel housing out of the gun. And as far as I can tell, the only thing keeping the barrel in the gun is a tiny set screw. I must be missing something and I hope someone can shine some light on this for me. It seems like the tighter you try to tension the barrel, the tighter you have to crank down the set screw into the barrel. Cranking the set screw into the barrel hard sounds really bad to me.

I would love to have a rock-solid barrel on my FX Maverick sniper 30 cal, but this is scary. I hope someone can make me not scared of tensioning my barrel.

grungy

Reactions: slayer and saitama
No..... The FX kit comes with a new Front barrel Support with clamp screws!!
barrel%20clamp.JPG

Stuart

Reactions: dgeesaman
It would be better if the barrel was threaded into the receiver.

Those barrel clamps don't clamp down on the barrel much either. You can still pull a barrel from the receiver if you put enough tension on the nut.

The best bet for the rifle right now, would be like Stuart and Ernest have done. Put a second set screw in the receiver and you will get things much more solid

How much torque are you wanting to add? Are you wanting to put tension on the dang thing or try to stretch another 1/4" or so out of it? I don't think applying enough torque to actually "pull" the barrel is going to accomplish much more than tearing up your gun. 1/4-1/2 turn past hand tight oughtta do i would think. No need to go full blown ape on stuff.

Wouldn't think you need to go to tight. There are a few videos out there that show people getting the nut tight, and then going a little more. I mean if you really want things tight you could always weld your outer barrel to the receiver!
or double pin it to the reciever. Half moon both sides of the barrel extension. But again... Not necessary.

Or you can add a second grub screw like I did and Ernest Rowe too.

Also groove the barrel extension, so it held solidly...

Stuart

Hopefully the M4 will have this done to it already. In my newbie opinion, it should be the minimum standard on all FX guns starting today if they know it is an improvement. With CNC equipment it wouldn't add much to the price.

Will FX allow that mod without voiding the warranty? This current "grub screws" system that is used in almost all air rifles has a lot to be desired and is pretty outdated technology.

Most of you should probably ignore everything past this line.......and I probably won't be responding to challenges to my comments.

I think that even doing a mod like that isn't enough for the best potential accuracy and consistency. Nobody knows the exact percentage of FX or other makes of air rifles that do not consistently hold a zero from day to day, but the number seems fairly substantial based on the number of posts I see here on AGN. I have been shooting a fairly new FX Impact M3 and it randomly sends the next very tight group to a different location after having been sitting in the case for a few days. Other airguns I have shot do the same thing. None of my PB rifles with good barrels on them do that. The heat expansion and vibration of a PB rifle is many times greater than an airgun, but the barrels are a one solid piece of steel which is probably why they perform so well from day to day.

If there was an air rifle out there that had a stainless steel receiver where the barrel attaches and the barrels were substantially larger in diameter with a threaded nut on the barrel where it meets the action face much like Savage does with their PB rifles to secure it firmly in place at the desired rotational and front to back position, many of the quirks associated with this type of system would likely go away. Rather than ever more skinny barrels, the answer I think would be a kiln cured permanently attached Carbon Fiber wrap on the barrel that threads into a steel receiver. Not a separate carbon fiber tube shroud / liner like what is being offered now. An example would be the offerings of Proof Research for PB Barrels that will allow the larger diameter shank on the barrel without adding too much weight but providing a solid, rigid barrel construction. My crystal ball prediction is that a barrel / action system similar to this will be the next big leap in airgun technology. More than one individual is already working on this type of design. It will be interesting to see if it ever comes to market and if it does, how successful it will be.

Some of the benefits that I can see
  • No loss of zero from bumping the barrel on a table or other hard object
  • Less chance of unexplained POI shift from weak components made of different materials and complicated joining techniques all along the barrel path.
  • Better accuracy with less tuning with a wider variety of ammo.
  • No pulling the barrel out of the receiver when tightening threaded caps / shrouds / moderators, tensioning systems etc. that pull the barrel away from the receiver in some fashion.
  • A reduction in barrel parts by a significant number, particularly for FX style barrels that can have 6 or more parts! Each with their own temperature expansion ratio that does not help with consistent accuracy.
  • Barrels that are so floppy that putting a lightweight moderator on them can cause a huge change of zero.
  • Easier and more repeatable barrel swapping.
  • Fewer steps to produce a quality barrel and maybe more that I can't come up with.
I would assume the price will go up, but at $300 to $400+ for a current FX Barrel kit they are already pretty dang high. I would be willing to pay double that for a barrel to fit an action that can hold it properly, that isn't so delicate and shoots the same POI day after day with no fiddling.

I thought about beefing up the barrel retention in the block when tensioning the barrel. But the tensioner acts on the front tube/barrel holder part. This would add a bending force thru the rifle. I made my own clamping block for my Maverick, that sits behind the front barrel support. I was interested/surprised to note that when I tested it's holding power with the grub screw holding the barrel in the action removed, I could pull the barrel thru the clamp just with hand tightening the shroud. No giant spanner needed :p. I can see why the FX one has 2 screws to clamp it.

Hopefully the M4 will have this done to it already. In my newbie opinion, it should be the minimum standard on all FX guns starting today if they know it is an improvement. With CNC equipment it wouldn't add much to the price.

Will FX allow that mod without voiding the warranty? This current "grub screws" system that is used in almost all air rifles has a lot to be desired and is pretty outdated technology.

Most of you should probably ignore everything past this line.......and I probably won't be responding to challenges to my comments.

I think that even doing a mod like that isn't enough for the best potential accuracy and consistency. Nobody knows the exact percentage of FX or other makes of air rifles that do not consistently hold a zero from day to day, but the number seems fairly substantial based on the number of posts I see here on AGN. I have been shooting a fairly new FX Impact M3 and it randomly sends the next very tight group to a different location after having been sitting in the case for a few days. Other airguns I have shot do the same thing. None of my PB rifles with good barrels on them do that. The heat expansion and vibration of a PB rifle is many times greater than an airgun, but the barrels are a one solid piece of steel which is probably why they perform so well from day to day.

If there was an air rifle out there that had a stainless steel receiver where the barrel attaches and the barrels were substantially larger in diameter with a threaded nut on the barrel where it meets the action face much like Savage does with their PB rifles to secure it firmly in place at the desired rotational and front to back position, many of the quirks associated with this type of system would likely go away. Rather than ever more skinny barrels, the answer I think would be a kiln cured permanently attached Carbon Fiber wrap on the barrel that threads into a steel receiver. Not a separate carbon fiber tube shroud / liner like what is being offered now. An example would be the offerings of Proof Research for PB Barrels that will allow the larger diameter shank on the barrel without adding too much weight but providing a solid, rigid barrel construction. My crystal ball prediction is that a barrel / action system similar to this will be the next big leap in airgun technology. More than one individual is already working on this type of design. It will be interesting to see if it ever comes to market and if it does, how successful it will be.

• Less chance of unexplained POI shift from weak components made of different materials and complicated joining techniques all along the barrel path.
  • No pulling the barrel out of the receiver when tightening threaded caps / shrouds / moderators, tensioning systems etc. that pull the barrel away from the receiver in some fashion.
  • A reduction in barrel parts by a significant number, particularly for FX style barrels that can have 6 or more parts! Each with their own temperature expansion ratio that does not help with consistent accuracy.
  • Barrels that are so floppy that putting a lightweight moderator on them can cause a huge change of zero.
  • Fewer steps to produce a quality barrel and maybe more that I can't come up with.
I would assume the price will go up, but at $300 to $400+ for a current FX Barrel kit they are already pretty dang high. I would be willing to pay double that for a barrel to fit an action that can hold it properly, that isn't so delicate and shoots the same POI day after day with no fiddling.
Yes.. 100% agree

Reactions: saitama

I have an older FX with no reg and a solid barrel. I took it out this morning, and with no dry fires or warmup shots, the first shot went straight through the bull at 40M. I'm not sure my Maverick could do that!

Reactions: Stone02

Check out the tensioned barrel on an Evol.
No POI changes.

Reactions: slayer
I am confused. The FX Maverick barrel tensioning systems I've seen all look like they are trying to pull the entire barrel housing out of the gun. And as far as I can tell, the only thing keeping the barrel in the gun is a tiny set screw. I must be missing something and I hope someone can shine some light on this for me. It seems like the tighter you try to tension the barrel, the tighter you have to crank down the set screw into the barrel. Cranking the set screw into the barrel hard sounds really bad to me.

I would love to have a rock-solid barrel on my FX Maverick sniper 30 cal, but this is scary. I hope someone can make me not scared of tensioning my barrel.

grungy
Some of the older DIY solutions did that.

However, as of late and with FX’s solution, they clamp the barrel above the bottle valve. So really your only tensioning that front section of he barrel.
I would argue you’re not tensioning the liner at all. You’re only tensioning the liner housing. The liner itself is actually being compressed inside the housing.

I understand the potential concern but I agree with the others that say you don't need it crazy tight. I have a Maverick and just recently added the tension kit with the carbon shroud. I tightened it up by hand and it's plenty stiff now, large improvement in rigidity. Now when I hang my chronograph on the moderator I get zero change in POI.

Reactions: Ricochet
I understand the potential concern but I agree with the others that say you don't need it crazy tight. I have a Maverick and just recently added the tension kit with the carbon shroud. I tightened it up by hand and it's plenty stiff now, large improvement in rigidity. Now when I hang my chronograph on the moderator I get zero change in POI.
This is good info.

It takes a lot to pull that barrel from the set screw I was just tensioning the normal shroud using a spacer went away from that and just have a barrel holder on the end and put on my own shroud to help with length and left the rest free float with cf insert installed seems to work just fine don't have any impact shifts so I'm not going to tension it at all