• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Does your velocity change depending on full tank or less?

I did check at 170bar and then at 250. This reg took forever to settle but now it’s a peach. That’s another factor for me - I strongly favor not adjusting it! Many cases of reg disorder can be traced back to an adjustment fever.
Absolutely. It’s not a faucet. I dread going up or down on a reg that has been behaving great. But sometimes we have no choice. I just don’t do it on a whim because I read something somewhere that I know will only send me on a wild goose chase. Been trying to live by the code, don’t poke a good gun.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
This is just my experience but one thing that a Maverick doesn’t do anywhere near as well as an impact is operate efficiently on a wide tune. Pick a projectile weight you shoot the most and tune the gun so the max velocity you want is on PW 7. I say that as in with a reg pressure that produces a max velocity you want for the gun. Then stay on 5-7 on the wheel. Five will get pretty crappy and 6-7 will be solid. Will just have to retune to shoot 18’s. Maybe others mileage is different but this has been my experience and why I think the M3 is worth every single cent more it costs.

Reactions: jskd82
This is just my experience but one thing that a Maverick doesn’t do anywhere near as well as an impact is operate efficiently on a wide tune. Pick a projectile weight you shoot the most and tune the gun so the max velocity you want is on PW 7. I say that as in with a reg pressure that produces a max velocity you want for the gun. Then stay on 5-7 on the wheel. Five will get pretty crappy and 6-7 will be solid. Will just have to retune to shoot 18’s. Maybe others mileage is different but this has been my experience and why I think the M3 is worth every single cent more it costs.
I think you may be correct. I love my M3 and have been setting that up for long range shooting with 40gr slugs but was hoping to use this WC for lighter slugs and pellets at the same time depending on what I'm shooting at. Unfortunately it ain't working out so far:rolleyes:

BTW those speeds are all with the JSB 18.13 and I have FX sending me brass pistons for the regs to try. Another thing is there is a small leak from the barrel which is likely coming from the valve seat, which is also on order, not sure if that could cause this issue though?
Are the parts still on the way, with FX USA closing? Utah Airguns is handling warranty and parts now.

I think you may be correct. I love my M3 and have been setting that up for long range shooting with 40gr slugs but was hoping to use this WC for lighter slugs and pellets at the same time depending on what I'm shooting at. Unfortunately it ain't working out so far:rolleyes:
I remembered that you posted about this gun before:

You changed hammers and reg(s) and seemed to resolve the issue of declining shot speed. To be frank, at that time, it struck me that there was more to it and that the problem might return - and here we are in a slightly different guise. Sometimes, problems can be masked and return when you change a setting. This often happens when you throw a bunch of parts at a problem, without finding out what’s actually wrong. As I stated back then, major changes in speed don’t arise from 5bar changes in reg pressure. Your gun has issues with the valve and you should send it in to FX (UA). If I understand correctly, it’s been having some variant of this problem since you got it. I don’t think brass pistons will fix it if there was no improvement with Huma regs.

FWIW, I also have the WC BT, which I do poke a lot and use as a travel gun, changing it between 177, 22 and 30. It is not as solid as my Panthera running on the descending slope but nowhere near as variable as you’re reporting.

I remembered that you posted about this gun before:

You changed hammers and reg(s) and seemed to resolve the issue of declining shot speed. To be frank, at that time, it struck me that there was more to it and that the problem might return - and here we are in a slightly different guise. Sometimes, problems can be masked and return when you change a setting. This often happens when you throw a bunch of parts at a problem, without finding out what’s actually wrong. As I stated back then, major changes in speed don’t arise from 5bar changes in reg pressure. Your gun has issues with the valve and you should send it in to FX (UA). If I understand correctly, it’s been having some variant of this problem since you got it. I don’t think brass pistons will fix it if there was no improvement with Huma regs.

FWIW, I also have the WC BT, which I do poke a lot and use as a travel gun, changing it between 177, 22 and 30. It is not as solid as my Panthera running on the descending slope but nowhere near as variable as you’re reporting.
That was a completely different issue which changing the hammer seems to have solved. The previous issue was the gun drastically changing velocity every shot going from 900 to 600ish within a few shots. The Huma regs didn't solve that issue but the refill rate is now faster and I no longer hear the gun gasping every few shots, which the brass piston for the AMP is supposed to solve. I'm waiting on a new valve assembly and valve seat and if that doesn't change anything then it's definitely getting sent in.

That was a completely different issue which changing the hammer seems to have solved. The previous issue was the gun drastically changing velocity every shot going from 900 to 600ish within a few shots. The Huma regs didn't solve that issue but the refill rate is now faster and I no longer hear the gun gasping every few shots, which the brass piston for the AMP is supposed to solve. I'm waiting on a new valve assembly and valve seat and if that doesn't change anything then it's definitely getting sent in.
The heavy hammer masked the problem. Hit hard enough, the valve opened consistently. With less strike it’s misbehaving again. Anyway, I’m not one to preach because I hate shipping things out, so I apologize if I came across as harsh and I hope you’re a happy camper with it soon…

The heavy hammer masked the problem. Hit hard enough, the valve opened consistently. With less strike it’s misbehaving again. Anyway, I’m not one to preach because I hate shipping things out, so I apologize if I came across as harsh and I hope you’re a happy camper with it soon…
Thanks, I'm not too flustered with it since I still have my M3 to shoot and wouldn't mind sending it in. FX sent me a new hammer, not the hammer weight, which had some burrs on it and I guess it was hanging up and causing those inconsistencies.

Another thing is there is a small leak from the barrel which is likely coming from the valve seat, which is also on order, not sure if that could cause this issue though?

^ That’s the telling symptom…
When the valve stem leaks it looks like it's coming from the way everything is so close in there the valve stem oring that I had to replace looked like it was just worn out the rubber was kinda worn and hanging out it maybe a case of to soft of orings installed in a bunch of them idk but this is the 4th one I've heard or read about now

Reactions: jskd82
I decided it was time to retune my Panthera 600mm 177 for use in my yard during the winter. It has been tuned to shoot (on the knee) 20grain Zan slugs at 980fps and has been magical, but that’s too much juice for my yard. Before a proper retune, I decided to see what it could do running a jacked up/wonky tune. So I left the reg at 150bar and just dropped the power wheel setting until it was shooting 13grain Zans at 980fps. The ES was just as good as it was on the knee, so I proceeded with a 10 shot group at 58y. I hadn’t shot it for a few weeks and was really enjoying it so I extended the group to 20 shots. Here it is:

View attachment 395230
I think it’s pretty solid for a wonky tune and moreover, it’s really quiet and efficient. I fully expect it to suffer from a bit of speed loss resulting from creep but I’ll just find the necessary power wheel adjustments to compensate for the first couple shots. Anyway, while I agree that it’s optimal to be on the knee, it’s certainly possible to use the power wheel to adjust to different projectiles with no appreciable loss of accuracy. It’s just a matter of having a good regulator (or two). I’ll stick with my jacked up tune for now and I don’t think the rats will be any better off.
That's impressive.