• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does this sound like a scam to you??

Dear fellow gunners- Merry Christmas first of all.

I a 25 cal Cricket posted and another new member has offered my price minus an optic and offered pay pay right away with no questions (Nearly $1000) Wants me to ship to an industrial looking area in AZ to his buddy but, the buyer lives in Jalisco MX. His AGN name is "Carlosfr_gdl" and another fella claims he knows him; Betohunter. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this; is paypal the safest way? I understand that the funds could pass through paypal, into my bank and if the card or bank used was not legit I would have to return the funds and my Cricket would be gone.

Thanks for your help! 

Jake

#1 PayPal have a serious insurance policy...I am using it as much possible since 2001.

Any transactions with PP are covering both sides in same way, as you would use a Credit Card.

#2 If you have received a payment, it is your responsibility to get a package to the post office and send a picture of the receipt/tracking number to the buyer.

Pretty much this would be all for the business.

#1 PayPal have a serious insurance policy...I am using it as much possible since 2001.

Any transactions with PP are covering both sides in same way, as you would use a Credit Card.

#2 If you have received a payment, it is your responsibility to get a package to the post office and send a picture of the receipt/tracking number to the buyer.

Pretty much this would be all for the business.

I think bigHUN gave a good rundown 

I’m new here but have done a lot buying and selling of fishing gear on a similar site. I always use PayPal BUT not the friends and family Option for people I don’t personally know. 

Its my understanding that you need use the goods and services to have that protection.

but since you are the seller all you need is the money.

I have never heard about someone “bouncing” a paypal payment like a bad check...

what if you told him your worried and hold the money for a few days to make sure?

Hard to understand based on your post what exactly is the process they proposed for the transaction. Paypal accounts can be compromised, and/or funds in them could be laundered from ill-gained sources. . If you do not know the person, do not send Family and Friends. Send it with PayPal protection for the extra 3.5% cost.

If the deal is too good to be true, then it's is usually not true. Greed is a primordial motivation that crooks like to exploits. Like others said, if the normal going price is close to what they are offering why not wait for another buyer you feel comfortable with? Go with your gut feeling. It's on the other person to work out a way to ensure that you (the seller) feels secure about the transaction. They may be perfectly decent AGN members, but if they cannot furnish enough proof that they are legit, why would you go out of your way to try to verify them and why would you take the risk? 

Careful with USPS Money Orders. Albeit very unlikely to happen, there are quite a few reports of fake USPS Money Orders being used. Although it s federal felony, scammers from overseas (and their middle men here in the US) do not care. 

"The U.S. Postal Service provides a web page that points out the anti-counterfeiting features of its money orders."

I went to the link provided by "wethy" above. The questions being asked sure seem normal. 

I would be leary as well. I've found in some of my dealings that a telephone conversation can be enlightening. 

If the prospective buyer is comfortable with you (by reading your posts here, checking feedback on eBay, etc.) he should be fine paying you and then you ship. 

I always say my reputation is worth more to me than money or hardware. I really like PayPal and sometimes I go with F&F, both ways, if I am comfortable with the other party. You could ask the person to add the 3% or 3.5% whatever it is now, to cover the PP fee. 

Bottom line for me, I've never been burned nor have I burned anyone. However, every time I make a deal I resolve that if the deal goes south, lost or damaged item or trouble with the other party, I can live with the loss and go on. 

If you're unsure, make sure you get payment with no strings attached. So, paypal friends and family. That is not refundable. Paypal will issue refunds on a sales transaction if the buyer claims to have received the wrong item. A damaged item, or if they claim to have not received it. In some cased paypal will require the buyer to send it back to you. I've heard of buyers sending back a weighted box without the item in it.

I dont deal with anyone I do not trust.

If you have the funds sent "Friends and Family" all seller refund guarantees are off, and the money is in your account, with the sender having no recourse, especially if Paypal finds out a "gun" was involved in the transaction.

Read the fine print on Paypal policies for Friends and Family transfers...then decide what to do.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot