Does this make any sense to you guys ?

I might be wrong on this as I don't own an impact, but is it possible that the shroud was put on backwards and if I'm thinking correctly,wouldn't that put a vent hole in that area and possably an o ring blew resulting in the injury and the loss of velocity? just a guess from a member of the polish corp. of engineers (lol).

I own an impact and I can tell you that the shroud can not be put backward. It can only go one way. This isnt a marauder where you can flip the shroud around. Like some ppl already stated. His hand was too close to the blast. Air alone can rip skin off. Trust me. Dont believe me go dry fire into some chicken skin and it will blast it apart.

I'm going to agree with the pic rail. If you caught your finger on the pic rail as you were moving it forward to the bottle, it would be easy to get a cut without even feeling it.

I'm not as worried about the hand position as others (I would find something else to rest on though). Many 3 gun competitors hold an AR with the forward hand very near the muzzle end. I am not advocating for unsafe acts but training and knowing your weapon. Every time you hold a handgun your support hand is only a couple of inches from the muzzle as well.

As far as the 50 fps drop, yep, almost certainly the C3 bumper.

Ricochet off of the lawn furniture clearly visible in the second picture. The loss of FPS probably coincidental to the gun falling off the regulator. OR the crony isn't reading consistently. You are very fortunate it didn't hit you in the face or eye.

I've had ricochets happen off wood when I would have expected penetration and a stick rather then a bounce back. Why I can't tell you but it can and clearly does happen. Eye protection critical. Air guns have a well deserved reputation for this stuff.

I can not accept that the injury was a scrape from the Pic rail. That looks like a pellet strike and he reported it happened when he shot the gun. What caused the drop in FPS could be all manor of things

OK he wasn't clear when it happened. If it was not immediately connected to the gun being fired then I might consider the pic rail 

I hate those short barrels w/o a can. 

From personal experience I'm going with you shot yourself. I had an Evanix Blizzard I converted to a BP. HAD A short barrel and no can at the time. Propped up on the side of the house was shooting. 3 Rd shot sounded different? Went to look the gun over and felt the sting in my hand. DUMB a$$ move. I had shot through the top of my hand. Went in and out near my ring knuckle. No bone damage. Lucky but things can happen. Never again will I have a set up with the possibility of this happening.

Drop in fps looks like as mentioned you must have come off the reg or air pressure. Jmo but looks like a pellet strike not a scrape. 💀🤭 And yes I have shot my Chrony years ago. So welcome to the shot myself club if this is the case. PCP power is no joke. But spring guns are also no joke. JMO

Dankleinman,

We've PM'd you so that one of our techs can call you directly tomorrow and help you figure out what happened and walk through getting your Impact shooting the .30 cal pellets at the optimum speed. Very strange what happened, but we're happy to talk to you and help figure out what happened (if possible) and make sure your rifle is shooting optimally.

- Jon at FXUSA

Jon. well done. Kudos to you!

Eamon

Definitely did not fall off the reg . The ricochet that you speak of us bird poop on the chair not a dent . And I cycle the bolt with my right hand . So my hand was in the same place thru all the shots before it happened . I have been shooting off the back of this chair all winter/ spring when I don't have my bipod . 

Plus I have been shooting regular guns for over 35 years so I'm pretty sure I know better than to put my hand in front of the barrel . Like I said my finger was almost under the tank when it happened.

Dan 

So I threw this together today with some parts I had laying around so I won't have to hold on to my tank any more .it might be a little bit of overkill but it holds the weapon nice and steady . I tried to get the impact to get back in the 800 fps range again today but no go . I guess I will have to order a delrin bumper for it . I was going to order it from fx-usa but I haven't heard from them yet . Where else can you order them from ? I guess I will check eBay first . 
1584479714_17732229695e713de28a6f25.76164436.jpg
1584479715_2976963905e713de3665148.72172670.jpg

Hate this happened to you...

Several schools of thought...

"If it bleeds it leads.".."Fish on."

Pellets can reverse direction? Physics? I don't think so... I cut myself all the time on doing work on houses I own.. People ask me all the time "oh what happened to your hand" etc. Part of it..

OSHA ruled that blow guns ( compressed shop air) shall not build no more than 30 psi when "deadheaded." Thus the reason for side ports in blow guns..i.e. OSHA Compliant.

Interested in the final conclusion of this one..

LOL Nice handy work there Dan . There was a post very resent in the classifieds of one of the members here that was selling them (delrin C3 bumpers )in the very recent past 2 weeks. lol My memory is slipping but I hope this helps. There have been around 3 others members here that were selling them here on the forums in the classifieds.

You've got your moderator on so I think you're safe. SO check into your pressure drop and who knows you might find your explanation. I once was struck by a piece of brass from the rim of a .22 long rifle cartridge in revolver. I was using a 2 hand hold. Didn't figure it out till I tried to eject the spent cases. Side note Always wear safety glasses.