• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does this look like it will work?

%5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D

Looking into getting my first air rifle and have my eye on the Benjamin Marauder. I am making sure I have a decent method of filling it up before placing my order.

The tank I have there has only 2500 psi in it. But my plans are to go up to the welding shop and see if they can fill it to at least 4000 or so. I plan to add another tee on that open nipple to the right and have a ball valve on one side to bleed the line and some type of safety valve just as a precaution on the other side. But I would just barely crack open the valve on the bottle itsel until I had the gun pressurized to 3000 psi. I would then close the bottles main valve and open up the ball valve I plan on adding to bleed the line. 

My question is does this appear like it would work? Those are all Parker hydraulic fitting that I've used at work and we put 5000psi on all the time with no problems. As for that stainless braided hose I am not sure of its rating but we used the same type hose at a paintball shop I worked at during high school to fill tanks to 4500 psi.

Any input and/or suggestions would be much appreciated! Also what fitting exactly will I need to go from the female 1/4" npt threads on the end of the hose and connect it to a Benjamin Marauder? Thanks everyone!

I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as everything is rated high enough and you make provisions for a bleed off.

I doubt you'll be able to get that tank filled that high. You'll half to get an HP nitrogen tank. You're welding shop should have 6000 psi nitrogen, it could be expensive though. I had one for a little over a year and they decided to jack the rates up so I let them have it back.

As with all high pressure systems, double check that all your parts are rated for the pressure you'll be putting them under. I would suggest a gauge that goes up to a lower psi such as 5000 or 7500. That will allow you to fill more precisely. Other than that, it looks like it will work. 
It can be a little tough to control the airflow with the bottle's valve. Consider adding a high pressure valve before the gauge. 
1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT to Foster female. Consider a cross as well to help keep things a little more compact. 
BTW, the lady that answers the phone at Northshorecompressor.com is very helpful and can usually steer you in the right direction. 
Be safe above all else. 
Tom

"JohnL57"I'm going to ask what may be a dumb question-that IS compressed air and not Oxygen, right?
You MUST NOT use oxygen to fill your PCP, it WILL explode!
It is also a no-no to mix Co2 and Oxygen from what I've read.
Yes it's compressed nitrogen. Figured I could use that or argon since I have access to a lot of that at 3000psi. Those are the only two inert gases I have access to. Thanks for the tip though.

I am well aware of using oxygen and the danger of it. Every oxygen bottle I've ever been around is green so it's super easy to not accidentally grab one of those. Like the ones I've used along with acytelene for oxy/acy torch.

I am going to double check the psi rating of the hose though. And I need to find a high pressure rated valve for bleeding off the line. Everything off mcmastercarr is really spendy.

Stopped by the welding shop. They had one 6000 psi tank said they'll give I to me for as long as I want it and deliver it to my house for $89. It was HEAVY and I was barely able to even pick it up much less load it into my vehicle so will just get them to drop it off. 

Also showed him him the little assembly I had screwed together and said it looks like it will work fine except for maybe the hose. He also said it might be hard to just dump 3000 psi into the gun by cracking open the valve. But he wasn't sure, I can probably dig up a needle valve to slow it down substantially. I really want to evade buying a few hundred dollar regulator.

"scubajeeper"That's a deal on the gas. Filling a bottle with out a reg is no problem, you can control it fine with the valve on the tank. I've never tried to fill a gun directly from the big tank, maybe someone will chime in on that.
Thanks, perhaps getting another smaller tank I could fill from the 6000 psi tank and in turn use that to fill the gun would work out well. But yes if anyone has filled the gun directly from the 6000 psi tank I would like to know as that will make my initial investment as minimal as possible.

"Subtraction"

Looking into getting my first air rifle and have my eye on the Benjamin Marauder. I am making sure I have a decent method of filling it up before placing my order.

The tank I have there has only 2500 psi in it. But my plans are to go up to the welding shop and see if they can fill it to at least 4000 or so. I plan to add another tee on that open nipple to the right and have a ball valve on one side to bleed the line and some type of safety valve just as a precaution on the other side. But I would just barely crack open the valve on the bottle itsel until I had the gun pressurized to 3000 psi. I would then close the bottles main valve and open up the ball valve I plan on adding to bleed the line. 

My question is does this appear like it would work? Those are all Parker hydraulic fitting that I've used at work and we put 5000psi on all the time with no problems. As for that stainless braided hose I am not sure of its rating but we used the same type hose at a paintball shop I worked at during high school to fill tanks to 4500 psi.

Any input and/or suggestions would be much appreciated! Also what fitting exactly will I need to go from the female 1/4" npt threads on the end of the hose and connect it to a Benjamin Marauder? Thanks everyone!
Like I said in the other post I can't give you any advice on how put together your valve and gauge fill system. What I have thought about after reading some posts here and at other forums is about the ability to fill a rifle safely from a 6000 psi tank without a regulator. Some say you can and others say you can't. One thing for sure is if you want to shoot a lot you will only be doing it at you house as you are not going to be lugging that 300 to 400 pound or whatever the weight of the nitrogen tank. The idea I read about is to buy a small cf tank like the Guppy to fill with your nitrogen tank. That way since it is bigger and rated to fill at 4500 psi it should be safer to fill. As an bonus if you want to go hunting or to a friends house to shoot you will have a portable way to carry some extra air or nitrogen. Bill

Okay I changed it up some. I also found some 6000psi valves that you can just barely crack open. And I really think just filling nice and slow and I will install a 3k psi burst disc I think I will be good and safe. I double and triple checked all my fittings and they are rated to at least 5k psi except the hose it's only 3k but I may end up just screwing the "foster" type fitting directly into the assembly and totally bypass the hose.

The tee with nothing screwed into it will be for a gauge on one side and the previously mentioned burst disc on the other.

I will probably sooner rather than later get a bottle as you describe because the portability would be really nice in some situations. Like shooting in the back yard and not having to go to the garage to refill or if I ever want to go shoot at a friends house or something. I will just keep an eye out on Craigslist for something suitable.

%5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D