FX Does the FX Panthera make waiting for a Crown MK3 kind of a moot point?

I really enjoy my Crown MK2 .22 in the Saber Tactical chassis. I’ve been waiting for a MK3 version with some of the latest FX goodies. Very recently I’ve begun looking at all that the Panthera has to offer. Then it occurred to me that a Panthera with a front bottle added and the new K&L arca rail installed is basically an MK3 Crown with all the latest FX goodies. Adding a 480cc bottle in addition to the 300cc in the rear makes for a lot of shots. You get the much larger plenum, the cool front facing air gauges and the really nice fine hammer spring tuning set-up. Am I missing something or does the Panthera with its many options make the idea of a Crown MK3 a bit of a moot point? Thanks,
Kenny

Who's waiting? 20230529_181818.jpg

I really enjoy my Crown MK2 .22 in the Saber Tactical chassis. I’ve been waiting for a MK3 version with some of the latest FX goodies. Very recently I’ve begun looking at all that the Panthera has to offer. Then it occurred to me that a Panthera with a front bottle added and the new K&L arca rail installed is basically an MK3 Crown with all the latest FX goodies. Adding a 480cc bottle in addition to the 300cc in the rear makes for a lot of shots. You get the much larger plenum, the cool front facing air gauges and the really nice fine hammer spring tuning set-up. Am I missing something or does the Panthera with its many options make the idea of a Crown MK3 a bit of a moot point? Thanks,
Kenny
I had the same thought after loving my Saber Crown. Feels like the Panthera platform allows the same thing the Crown allowed, but improved… So not sure I see a reason for a new Crown model now. I’m trying to not buy a Panthera, but it is tempting.

I had the same thought after loving my Saber Crown. Feels like the Panthera platform allows the same thing the Crown allowed, but improved… So not sure I see a reason for a new Crown model now. I’m trying to not buy a Panthera, but it is tempting.
I’m in the same boat as you. Don’t really “need” the Panthera but there are some really nice upgrades compared the the Saber Tactical Crown. The ability to play/ tune with the hammer pre-load without having to remove the chassis would be really great. I think I’m losing the argument with the more common sense portion of my brain. I feel a Panthera isn’t too far away In my future.
Kenny

to be honest I own the gen 1 and gen2 and the mk2..they really don't feel that different..these are stock not modified..I shoot pellets and all three satisfy my desires at 100 yards and are super reliable.
I think the Panthera is more powerful and very crown like.
but the red panda will be the one to beat.
DSC_0113.JPG

I assumed there would be a Crown MK3 spawned from the Panthera. After owning both, I cannot see any reason for another Crown upgrade.
I didn’t shoot 50 shots through my Panthera before I changed it to a front bottle gun by putting a 480cc bottle up front and deleted the back bottle.
I now have what I consider a Crown MK3. Upgrades include both gauges in a far better location, easier tuning with the micro adjust, better valve, a much larger plenum and the ability to shoot slugs with no modifications

I assumed there would be a Crown MK3 spawned from the Panthera. After owning both, I cannot see any reason for another Crown upgrade.
I didn’t shoot 50 shots through my Panthera before I changed it to a front bottle gun by putting a 480cc bottle up front and deleted the back bottle.
I now have what I consider a Crown MK3. Upgrades include both gauges in a far better location, easier tuning with the micro adjust, better valve, a much larger plenum and the ability to shoot slugs with no modifications
Thanks Chukar60. That was my thought exactly. Perhaps I should stop waiting and get the one that is right there waiting for me. Thanks again for sharing your opinion.
Kenny

Thanks Chukar60. That was my thought exactly. Perhaps I should stop waiting and get the one that is right there waiting for me. Thanks again for sharing your opinion.
Kenny
Check out the new FX Legion post today… notice that they didn’t mention the Crown being added to the list of upcoming rifles to choose from.

Still running my mk1. Doubt there will be any reason to upgrade. More plenum on the mk2 is nice, but not needed IMO
I've got the transition model. Gen2 I think they call it. It has the side barrel screws the larger plenum, and a picatini rail, but the rail is flat and doesn't have the -20 MOA. It is a .30 cal so it's probably better suited with the extra plenum.

The Crown MK2 doesn’t need many if any upgrades when shooting pellets.

Panthera is the next iteration of airguns, dedicated slug guns with ability to shoot pellets. It is much heavier than crown so the heavy “build like a tank” crowd might like it more but it’s a bench gun for me. Panthera IS better than crown when it comes to shooting slugs but not better when it comes to pellets.

I’m guess Crown might get some refinements, it would be a mistake to discontinue crown and Dreamline.

Last edited:
I've got the transition model. Gen2 I think they call it. It has the side barrel screws the larger plenum, and a picatini rail, but the rail is flat and doesn't have the -20 MOA. It is a .30 cal so it's probably better suited with the extra plenum.
I have the same. Most call it a gen 2, but it is in fact a gen 3. 0 moa pic rail, 4 barrel retaining screws, updated regulator (still same spec as current mk2), superlight barrel system, and black gauges.

I have 3 .22 barrels for mine. And a .30 600mm from an older crown. Bit older design, heavier. Has an air stripper inside the shroud, and the shroud extends outward and locks into a notch, so it is never clocked any differently when extended. Also has a pretty significant suppressing effect. Mine will do 92 fpe in that barrel. 925fps with jsb 44.75gr. Regardless of what people think. (and I shoot plenty of powder guns) In my opinion and experience, that is a lot of power in an airgun. So much so, that I almost never shoot the .30 at all. It's not all that often I even shoot it at full power in .22 either. Normally I have it turned wayyy down. For airgun purposes, it's still making PLENTY of power, still at it's absolute minimum. And accuracy does not suffer.

Now of course if your intent is sending heavy slugs, then more plenum is good. However I can't help but muse on how guns setup like this are in a way missing out on the lower powered pellet plinking aspect that the gun can do so well. But then there are the members that have like 5 crowns :ROFLMAO: completely understandable. I did have two and an impact. But the one I have now is THE one.

Reactions: qball
My airgun collection is shaping up to be 2 very different groups: long range slug slingers or sub12. For my use case and yard anything in the middle is a waste because I can only shoot sub12 in my yards and when I go to the range I’m going long!!!

Panthera/Dynamic is my new long range slug slinger along with my Impact. Even if I had huge property I’m not walking around with a broomstick. It’s a proper bench gun where length really matters.

My Crown, Dreamlines and a bunch other guns are sub12 yard/WFTF guns. They are just plain fun/enjoyable to shoot/hunt in my yard.

When I did hunt and if I hunt again it will be my impact in compact form shooting light slugs because we can only hunt small games like rabbits here in CA with airguns.

Kenny, if your Crown MK2 is doing well by you then I'd say keep shooting, keep smiling and don't wonder about more power. The Crown has lots for general use.

I have both a .22/500mm Crown MK2 and .22/700mm Panthera in my airsonal. They are totally different airguns, both extremely good for their design applications - the Crown for pellets and the Panthera for slugs. Wouldn't trade or change either of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Kenny, if your Crown MK2 is doing well by you then I'd say keep shooting, keep smiling and don't wonder about more power. The Crown has lots for general use.

I have both a .22/500mm Crown MK2 and .22/700mm Panthera in my airsonal. They are totally different airguns, both extremely good for their design applications - the Crown for pellets and the Panthera for slugs. Wouldn't trade or change either of them.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank for your thoughts. I agree totally. I love both my Crowns and they won’t be going anywhere. I just also like new shiny things. The FX Panthera has lots of new shiny things that have my attention😂. The best advancement for me over my Crown is the micro adjustment without having to remove the chassis.
Kenny

Reactions: Mcleod