DOES SIZE - ING REALLY MATTER ?????, SOME TESTING FOR KNOWLAGE

HI ALL I had alot of idle time healing from surgery and I decided to do some sorting of pellets by weight and head size , then washing out all lead and oil and drying , this time went 1 step further and then sorted head sizes , so took a few cases of JSB 25.39 gr pellets and after they were cleaned and dried , I then separated them into weights of .05 grains then took them and sorted head sizes into 3 piles one being 5.52 one being 5.53 and other being too small a head or larger and weights were light and heavy with only good skirts

ok all ammo is22 caliber JSB 25 gr pellets except for top group this is NSA 31.20 slugs . also all groups are 12 shots ,and all groups with Napler lube, from where my finger is first

25.30 gr 5.53 head size 

top of target NSA SLUG 3..10 gr

right of target some actually missed , these were light and heavy out of tins which were under 5,51 so rejects but not deformed , to be honest with out the pellet gage , or a scale , i wouldn't of known .hmm maybe this accounts for fliers now and then as some of them suckers missed the target all together and group is 3 to 4x larger then other pellet groups , this barrel seems to like the 5.52 best I am sure all barrels prefer different head sizes .

So by this first test Id have to say it matters alot , but it takes lots of time , this being said the JSB were all pretty close for 98% of ammo , \

I had some old ammo I tested and was amazed with head sizing in same tin over .04 mm and weights over 2 gr so some of the cheaper ammo has huge differences which accounts for why they dont group in guns , I found after sorting them they were 100% better , I am new to checking head sizing but again I had lots of idle time to sort to keep me busy

LOU

thumbnail.1635152215.jpg

Tom Adams he does it and won EBR,,I bet most if not all who where in the event did prep to their ammo ,

If you don't sort the .22 RD Monsters for competition you'll never get the consistency you need to be competitive at 100 yards. Those pellets, as @JWRabbit123 found out, need to be sorted. Everyone I know that shoots them sorts them. I don't lube, but I sort for weight and head size... If you don't sort you WILL get flyers at the most inopportune time...

Tom Adams he does it and won EBR,,I bet most if not all who where in the event did prep to their ammo ,

If you don't sort the .22 RD Monsters for competition you'll never get the consistency you need to be competitive at 100 yards. Those pellets, as @JWRabbit123 found out, need to be sorted. Everyone I know that shoots them sorts them. I don't lube, but I sort for weight and head size... If you don't sort you WILL get flyers at the most inopportune time...

Agree. Both weight and head size are important. More so than how they roll, IMO.