• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does more power equal better accuracy?

Seems to me, the whole sport of precision air rifles is an outgrowth of the Olympic 10 meter rifle. Most of these rifles shoot 8 grain pellets around 570 fps, or about the same power level as your Swedish maximum. Since the higher power air rifles are still playing catch up to match the precision accuracy of these Olympic rifles, I would say no, you are not compromising accuracy at all. Plus, you get the advantage of a huge shot count, and probably never needing to clean the barrel. As noted, this is not a power level for long range, but for anything inside 25 yards or so, it is probably much more capable than most of us American shooters will ever know, since we need everything bigger, faster, more powerful. 

Seems to me, the whole sport of precision air rifles is an outgrowth of the Olympic 10 meter rifle. Most of these rifles shoot 8 grain pellets around 570 fps, or about the same power level as your Swedish maximum. Since the higher power air rifles are still playing catch up to match the precision accuracy of these Olympic rifles, I would say no, you are not compromising accuracy at all. Plus, you get the advantage of a huge shot count, and probably never needing to clean the barrel. As noted, this is not a power level for long range, but for anything inside 25 yards or so, it is probably much more capable than most of us American shooters will ever know, since we need everything bigger, faster, more powerful.

okay got it, so does this mean that for low power rifles you should use lighter pellets? 

I'll propose another view on this idea. At 10 meters, all the above may be correct (and probably is). At longer distances or in more variable conditions, more velocity MAY make a gun "shoot" more accurately. Not that it will mechanically be more accurate but that an individual MIGHT be able to shoot more accurately with it. Less windage effect, less trajectory effect, less dwell time of pellet in barrel. All COULD make a gun "easier" to shoot more accurately under those conditions. Or maybe not.

I vaguely recall shooting a new group of very nice European air rifles on our high school rifle team in the early '70's. They were bulky, heavy, and not particularly powerful. But they were wonderfully accurate. I'd like to have such a rifle for target shooting. I would not want one for any other type of use.

bandg, I have a Anschutz SuperAirre 2002 ssp 10 meter gun that is as you described it" bulky, heavy and not particulaly powerful

and it is wonderfully accurate. with some creative mounting solutions Ive managed to get a 3-12 mildot on it and Ive shot it out to 35 yards where it had enough energy left to knock down a field target target. 

Ive also got a Dian 75 Giss systme springer thats equally as bulky heavy and ugly. it too is phenonomally accurate, just not as ergonomic as the Annie. the D75 is much easier to scope

both guns shooting 7.9 CP's were around 590 -610 fps.

Low power is great for indoor shooting.

But if you are shooting outdoors, the wind will move the pellet away from your target. The slower the pellet, the more it is affected(it's in the air for a longer period of time) and the lighter pellets are affected more. Usually you try to use pellets with a good bc that does well with your rifle and adjust for a high speed that is still below transonic so that the wind will have less impact, especially when shooting 50+ meters.

If you plug the numbers into chairgun, you'll see why higher powered rifles are used.

bandg, I have a Anschutz SuperAirre 2002 ssp 10 meter gun that is as you described it" bulky, heavy and not particulaly powerful

and it is wonderfully accurate. with some creative mounting solutions Ive managed to get a 3-12 mildot on it and Ive shot it out to 35 yards where it had enough energy left to knock down a field target target. 

Ive also got a Dian 75 Giss systme springer thats equally as bulky heavy and ugly. it too is phenonomally accurate, just not as ergonomic as the Annie. the D75 is much easier to scope

both guns shooting 7.9 CP's were around 590 -610 fps.

Agree. Those are very nice guns and are excellent for their intended uses.

Have you considered putting on a yellow vest and overthrowing your counties tyrannical airgun laws? I can take the antifa and crushing taxes but when someone tries to tell me there are limits to what airguns I can buy I get all V for vendetta up in here! Just kidding mate but I would suggest buying a scope with mil dot or moa hashes in them. That way you can use them to shoot farther. 

In subsonic land, a slower projectile translates to less drag than one in the transonic speed zone. So, if you're dealing with any sort of wind, the higher the speed the more drag and this wind drift will be higher. It sounds counter-intuitive to hear that a projectile traveling faster towards a target will drift more than the slow projectile, but you have to look at the drag coefficient plots to visualize this.

The rule of thumb is the higher the BC, the closer to Mach 1 you can go (usually 1050fps max). You really have to step up the BC by multiples to substantially reduce drift (period), but there's a lot more to it than just BC lol

In subsonic land, a slower projectile translates to less drag than one in the transonic speed zone. So, if you're dealing with any sort of wind, the higher the speed the more drag and this wind drift will be higher. It sounds counter-intuitive to hear that a projectile traveling faster towards a target will drift more than the slow projectile, but you have to look at the drag coefficient plots to visualize this.

The rule of thumb is the higher the BC, the closer to Mach 1 you can go (usually 1050fps max). You really have to step up the BC by multiples to substantially reduce drift (period), but there's a lot more to it than just BC lol

What he said.

I daily shoot a sub 10 FPE Prod at 12 yards. It shoots cheap 22 crosman hp’s In tiny one hole groups. Low FPE is accurate as are some slower slug shooting airguns, however the projectile must have enough speed to stabilize itself in conjunction with the rifling twist. As the projectile slows in flight, the rotational spin speed decays causing instability, case in point the US M60 machine gun, shooting 147 grain ball ammo would loose stability at 660 yards. Luckily most airgun barrels have a twist suitable for a wide velocity range.

Then you read that airgun barrels shooting slugs need velocity near sonic to shoot well, many times this is due to twist rate. The advice to remove the choke on a airgun barrel to shoot slugs works well, but the twist rate is slow and only the airguns capable of higher velocity will work. Another answer to that problem is a lighter slug, which is why modern slug shooters ofter find that the lighter store boughten slugs work better in their unchecked, whether made that way or the choke removed, barrels.

I ran into this velocity/rifling twist rate problem when making my 500/550/615 yard videos showing hits at those ranges on 12 oz cola cans with a Haley 257 Scandalous. Somewhere between 550 and 615 yards my velocity and rotational spin rate decayed to the point that it made hits at those ranges difficult. My original Haley barrel was a 1-14 twist, I had a spare barrel made that was 1-10. At 300 yards with 80 grain bullets it would print under a moa at times with the 1-14, better than it would the 1-10, but beyond 500 yards the 1-10 was king.

Long answer, but like someone said here in this thread, too many variables, twist rate is one of those variables. 

Roachcreek

It seems that lower powered guns are easier to make accurate. Less harmonics to deal with as well as the regulators running at lower rate. I see the new fad of running 27" barrels that bring power levels up rather than shorter barrel with a more conservative power. Hopefully manufacturers will kill the power craze and concentrate more on durability, efficiency and weight.