Does longer barrel mean more accurate?

I've got the .30 cal 600mm and 700mm smooth twist X barrels for my Crown. I believe the 700mm is more accurate (shooting JSB 44.8 gr), but only just slightly. My opinion is that the real benefit is that the velocity is higher with the 700mm, so I've been able to turn the regulator down a bit, giving me a couple more shots per fill. Not promising anything, just my experience.

To the SIMPLE question asked ..... NO, length has little bearing on accuracy.

There is far more going on that will dictate WHAT length is optimal for the application how ever ?

Spring piston, Co2 or PCP ?

Guns weight, added on shrouds, ldc's, strippers etc ..

Free floated barrel or banded, diameter of barrel & caliber

Speeds required & pellet weight range ....... ALL HAVE A BEARING on what length is best.

Scott S

Can you say harmonics? :) I bought a longer barrel for my Crown. I wouldn't say the 700mm is more accurate. But I purchased it with the idea that I could get a little more power out of the gun with a bit more length. So the pellet stays in the barrel a little longer so I can use a bit larger puff of air to send a heavier peller on its way. But I also noticed the longer barrel shoots a little better WITHOUT the moderator. The longer barrel doesn't seem to like that extra weight at the end. I suspect the weight disturbed the harmonics in just the right way.

Just my 2 cents

Crusher

To the SIMPLE question asked ..... NO, length has little bearing on accuracy.

There is far more going on that will dictate WHAT length is optimal for the application how ever ?

Spring piston, Co2 or PCP ?

Guns weight, added on shrouds, ldc's, strippers etc ..

Free floated barrel or banded, diameter of barrel & caliber

Speeds required & pellet weight range ....... ALL HAVE A BEARING on what length is best.

Scott S

So let’s be perfectly clear at short distances (less than 75 years) barrel length isn’t a factor. However a longer barrel allows for greater projectile velocity (with all other factors are maintained constant). The greater the distance the more important barrel length (and velocity) become. Don’t take our word on it, check the link below. The testing was done with a powder burner, the physics and ballistics are the same.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

Historically speaking, it's not about how long it is...what really matters is how well you can use it.

At 100 yards, a 12" barrel is as accurate as a 24" barrel...given that both are of the same quality, and the shooter is not a stupid, club-fisted ox, with bad vision!

Pick a gun based on it's time proven reputation and quality. Actual user feedback is the only advertisement I have ever bothered to believe about a gun I was interested in.

Regards,

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

I think "the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy" is flawed from a scientific standpoint. The adage "correlation is not causation" comes to mind. Is length what determines accuracy or is it something else?

It is a generally accepted as truth that bull barrels are more accurate than more slender contours. Why? One of the qualities that makes bull barrels more accurate is stiffness. A larger OD means greater stiffness. Basic physics.

So, as far as "columns" are concerned (barrels are columns), when all other aspects remain the same, shorter is always stiffer.

In my experience, Scott is 100% correct. Barrel length is important in obtaining a desired ballistic result, whether burning powder or using air. Once that length is determined, then it's a matter of choosing the best barrel of that length, which gets into rifling quality, dimensions, and the manner in which the barrel is mounted. In benchrest cartridge rifles, barrels tend to be short and stiff, but ballistic efficiency isn't much of a consideration in that application.

Are we talking accurate on a bench with unlimited sighters and unlimited air as in the 100 yard event, or are we talking the Marksman event which determined the best overall shooters at RMAC? Maybe they all used 700mm barrels but I doubt it. Without the advantage of increased velocity afforded by the longer barrel in the 100 yard event, I’m sure the 500mm would be just as accurate as the 600mm would be just as accurate as the 700mm. So in still conditions the 700mm has no advantage that I can see. My old .30 Bobcat with an 600mm ST barrel shooting 44.75 grain pellets at 880 FPS groups just as good as the high power 700mm barrel in low wind conditions. The benefit comes from an additional 100 to 150 FPS, not precision or accuracy. If the wind affects the pellet less then it certainly does have an advantage, but it’s not more accurate. 

I do understand what you’re saying. It is also true that at the increased velocity through the 700mm barrels pellets are staying stable way past the zone in which people use to consider possible. Don’t you think some of that is attributable to the extra length of the barrel and so has increased accuracy.

Yes, but not because the 700mm barrel is inherently more accurate, but because it is giving the desired velocity. If you could put enough air through a 500mm barrel to obtain the same velocity, and if it were a better barrel, it would be more accurate, although the air consumption would be less efficient......I think.