• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Does HW regulator need adjusted to reduce velocity?

I was going to buy a HW100 KT laminate, but I wanted a rifle with a decent shot count in 177. So I was going to adjust the hammer spring by 2 turns to start. I looked at youtube, and the need to adjust the regulator was not clear. Accuracy trumps shot count in my book. So I guess highest shot count, with best accuracy is the goal. I'll be using 10.3 JSB pellets in my inventory, and I also have a lot of Crossman 10.3 in the bulk cardboard box.

The short answer, yes. If you want velocity and fpe reduced a material amount, to obtain both a higher shot and a well balanced tune, you need to work with both HST and reg set point. I tuned my .177 HW 100 carbine down to around 11.5 fpe. It now has a great shot count, is virtually silent, but still has sufficient power for squirrels. The reg is easy to adjust. I think I hit my target tune with the second attempt. The rifle is really designed around this lower power level, and it shines there.

with a regulator setting of 95-98 bar you should be able to turn the Hammer Spring back or forward till you get about 780-790 fps, this should give you near 12 fpe with a 10 gn pellet, which should give you about 100 - 110 shots per 2800 psi fill, please note to make sure to loosen the set screw on the side of the Hammer adjuster, there will be several small tapped hole and one or more set screws, after setting the Hammer Spring adjustment retighten the set screws, snug them down "Do Not Over Tighten them". 

check out HW100 tuning for good tips on tuning

https://hw100tuning.co.uk/guides

and these guy's for parts

https://dlairgun.com/collections/hw100

You can lower it without adjusting the reg but it is so easy to do why not. I recently got an HW100 and without having seen or touched one before I was able to set it where I wanted it in about 20 minutes.

If you order from AOA what you will get is the UK standard sized rifle not a UK carbine. AOA's carbine has the 410mm barrel and bigger air tube. It is a heavy gun, a lot bigger than I wanted but it is really nice and I am happy with it.

MikeV

Well my HW100 was cancelled, so it took a while to get another ordered. Hopefully it will be here Monday.
Anyway back to tuning. I read some forum searches, and watched some youtube.
So I gather that disassembly is easy, but it is a great idea to have some new orings. I will also need a regulator gauge, and the fittings.
It looked like some of the factory parts in the regulator test port, like the oring and ball could be replace by other hardware. (HW100Tuning.cu.uk)

I also think I read that 3/4 counter clockwise turn on the regulator, and 3 turns on the hammer spring is a good guess? I picked that up on youtube, but I imagine the settings are pretty close.

Preferred vendor with HW100 Reg gauge and needed orings? Might as well get that stuff in the mail.

Terry, unless you are going to be tuning these rifles on a regular basis, save your money, don't buy the reg tester. There is some trial and error involved with or without it, so no need removing the ball and O ring and create a site of potential leak. Just lower the reg and HST and shoot it. I'm not sure what power level you want, but the velocity you need is easily obtained with online FPE charts. Play with the reg set point and HST until you get the desired maximum velocity, which should be around 95% of your desired end result. Example, if you want 725 fps with a 10 gr pellet, tune to a maximum of around 760 fps. I suggest starting with a reg reduction of a half turn. You should find your sweet spot in a couple or three tries, and no expense or complication of using the tester. Just my opinion, have fun.
Ed

I was wondering if you knew a guestimate of the hammer screw turns? Thanks

'
No way to know, it depends on the specific rifle's tuning setup. But not a problem, with each new, lower reg setting, just increase the the HST until additional tension no longer increases velocity. Then you know your maximum for that reg set point, which is your benchmark. If it is above or below your goal, adjust the reg again and repeat to determine that setting's maximum velocity.

Terry, you need a chronograph, I like the Competition brand https://competitionelectronics.com/products/prochrono-dlx
you can google search for a better price, I have had bad luck with Caldwell
nervoustrig and elh0102 have given you good advise,, use the reg to tune for the power level you desire and then tune the hammer spring for the optimum setting (use of air) for that plenum pressure.

with a regulator setting of 95-98 bar you should be able to turn the Hammer Spring back or forward till you get about 780-790 fps, this should give you near 12 fpe with a 10 gn pellet, which should give you about 100 - 110 shots per 2800 psi fill, please note to make sure to loosen the set screw on the side of the Hammer adjuster, there will be several small tapped hole and one or more set screws, after setting the Hammer Spring adjustment retighten the set screws, snug them down "Do Not Over Tighten them".

check out HW100 tuning for good tips on tuning

https://hw100tuning.co.uk/guides

and these guy's for parts

https://dlairgun.com/collections/hw100
What size tube?

No way to know, it depends on the specific rifle's tuning setup. But not a problem, with each new, lower reg setting, just increase the the HST until additional tension no longer increases velocity. Then you know your maximum for that reg set point, which is your benchmark. If it is above or below your goal, adjust the reg again and repeat to determine that setting's maximum velocity.
What if hst becomes hard to turn? Feels like it is binding up

My set screw is missing? I can go a full turn in and out easy then it seems to tighten?
I can't remember how long the threaded portion is, don't suppose you have reached the end of its travel. I remember the adjustment being a little sticky, as if the threads were dirty. I turned it in and out a few times, going in a bit more each time. It's possible that they put a mild locking compound on it.

I can't remember how long the threaded portion is, don't suppose you have reached the end of its travel. I remember the adjustment being a little sticky, as if the threads were dirty. I turned it in and out a few times, going in a bit more each time. It's possible that they put a mild locking compound on it.
Thanks I’ll try that, I’ve got it shooting great now at 777 fps at 21fp. I’d like to bump it to 24-25 where it’s supposed to be at.