• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does Ernest Rowe’s STX liner carbon sleeve work?

Background: I have impact with 700mm .25 superior heavy liner. I found at around 820fps the 29 grain and 33 grain NSA slugs seem to shoot very well. However, because I can’t leave good enough alone I wanted more POWER! But after 3 boxes or 1000 slugs later my next 100 meter groups at any speed higher than 850fps are around 2-4 inches at best and most are far worse, like 10 inches worse. As with long thin straw like barrel I am sure it’s harmonics or barrel vibration is kicking my behind. After some calculation the Nsa slugs have stability factor is 2.6 and higher with superior heavy which also confirms that the slugs have more than enough spin to stabilize and harmonics of the barrel is spraying them like a shotgun. Expensive and frustrating to say the least. One day I saw Ernest’s video on the carbon sleeve and I had a eureka moment because my favorite powder burner has full carbon wrapped barrel. It’s no fully carbon wrapped barrel but it should be a heck a lot better than that metal straw. I immediately ordered it and got it earlier this week. I degreased the barrel and carefully glued the sleeve on with 2 part epoxy, I want it to be as stiff as possible.

This morning I drove up the hills into near by national forest and found a nice flat road that dead ends into private property so shouldn’t have traffic. Setup my targets and started by shooting the 34 grain heavies I happen to bring as baseline. My best group is just under an inch with the heavy at 840 FPS, not hugely different than before but noticeably tighter by about half inch. Got my scope dialed in and it’s slug time! I immediately noticed that the groups aren’t amazing but most of the groups are 2-4 inches at 100 meters, 2-4 inch groups were my good group before!!!! 

Then at 930 FPS the 29grain slugs decided to be nice to me! 
B29F0E04-7782-4304-A24C-761D4E5DA080.1606615935.jpeg
B6DBCF5D-D9E4-4596-AB46-CAAC766E293F.1606615935.jpeg
67596CFC-BFEA-48D0-8E08-CF2C9B14B7BB.1606615936.jpeg

I’m getting about 1-1.5 inch groups! I ven got a few cluster of them touching! Keep in mind that it was pretty cold up higher elevation so I was shooting from back of my SUV on top of a cooler. Feeling good about the groups I put some small walnut sized rocks on top of my target box and I just about hitting them at will, the few times I missed I noticed it was me. also noticed that even though the impact chassis is very stiff at that distance and power it is still hold sensitive. At lower power I didn’t notice the hold sensitivity, I still have a lot to learn about precision shooting obviously. 

This group really made my day! Even though it looks like 2 groups but I remember the bipod slipped just a little and the can’t could be off a little, new bipod is still in the mail. 
2891D235-9930-49A4-8B43-755485C69E69.1606615935.jpeg

That is THE BEST group I’ve ever shot at 100 meter or 111 yards! It shows the gun is very accurate and I’m the limiting factor. 

back to the main subject, did Ernest Rowe’s carbon sleeve work for me? From my experience today on my Impact, it worked tremendously well! I’ve shot the same slugs at the same speed before and the groups were 2-3 times the size. Harmonic tuning is still needed but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as sensitive as before, hell it was so sensitive on my gun I never found a tune above 840FPS that would even consistently knock over a soda can let a lone head shots on a squirrel or hit something size of house sparrow at 100 meters!!!

Ernest, you are my hero and savior!!!🙌🙌🙌

edit: Ernest, you better make a crapload more of these liner sleeves, I need more!!!

Ernest’s carbon liner sleeves can be purchased feom Newman at https://910airguntuningandrepairsllc.com/

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
Wow, when did the US distributors get the 700mm Sup and Sup Heavy liners in stock? News to me... I’ve been looking for many months for a .25 700mm Sup Heavy. Not in the USA as of today. Kinda hard to “just pick one up”.. ;)

just call the usual suspects, Utah air, SPAW, TalonTunes, Trenier.....I got mine from SPAW. Also check out air tanksforsale.com, they are less known. 

just call the usual suspects, Utah air, SPAW, TalonTunes, Trenier.....I got mine from SPAW. Also check out air tanksforsale.com, they are less known.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I said no one I meant NO ONE has them in stock. Maybe FX will make some available after they’ve sold out their initial shipments of Mavericks and Crown Mk2s...?

I ordered a few days ago, from Aliexpress, 2 carbon fiber tubes of different sizes as I don't know what is the most suitable for my liner slug makes 600 mm (FX Crown. 25). One tube measures 11x9 mm and the other 12x10 mm. Both tubes are 500 mm long. From measurements that I have made, I would say that the 12x10 mm is the right one. The expense was very good ... just over € 9 x each tube. I'd say Rowe's are very expensive, but they're 100% right, so they're safe. As soon as the carbon tubes arrive ... about the middle of December) I will mount the most suitable one and see what precision advantages I will get.

Ahhh ... Interesting review and usage experience.

i measured my .25 cal 700mm impact it get the same 11x9 mm. well the lands do make the 9mm more like 9.12mm but i figure some sand paper work on the carbon tube can open things up for a touch easier fitting....

Looong CF tube for sandpaper the ID...and the OD will be loose 0.8 mm...

wasn't Ernest tube in inches maybe? ...otherwise I cannot imagine having a 11.5x9.5 tube (or something like that)

you guys have fun making it fit, tolerance has be really tight to make it fit.

And please support people like Ernest who brought many innovations to us and contributed immensely to our community AND his price is VERY reasonable on top of that.

I ordered China carbon tube too for my TJ barrel for my Dreamline and let’s just say it didn’t work out so well, the tube thickness isn’t even uniform/completely round.......on top of taking a month and half to get here. That cost me just under 30 dollars while ernest’s machined tubes that will fit perfectly the first time cost only 40. Basically I just donated 30 bucks to one my Chinese peeps.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I said no one I meant NO ONE has them in stock. Maybe FX will make some available after they’ve sold out their initial shipments of Mavericks and Crown Mk2s...?

i know what you meant. I had the same problems but I just kept checking all the shops I mentioned and one day SPAW had them in stock. Same thing with the Slug liner I got a few months back, just got to keep checking. 

i wanted to buy from Ernest. He has done some awesome things from us. I figured that since he's out of stock that i try on my own. If it dont work then i'll be off to get it from Ernest when he has them available again. 

I'm already set to wait on changing my TP thimble till Ernest has his version of the Dual ports back in stock. That i'm definitely getting from him.

Guys been there buying CF on the net — lots of them and never found one that fit the bill—> so i got a MFR to make me a mold to my spec and the results are out there. I may tighten up the clearance now that I know the MFR tolerance. 

Ernest

Ernest maybe this should be the next step for fx, doing this from the factory kinda like a proof research barrel. 

i wanted to buy from Ernest. He has done some awesome things from us. I figured that since he's out of stock that i try on my own. If it dont work then i'll be off to get it from Ernest when he has them available again. 

I'm already set to wait on changing my TP thimble till Ernest has his version of the Dual ports back in stock. That i'm definitely getting from him.

Shouldn't be a problem. I did my .22 back in April before any kits were available . Sanded the ID of the carbon fiber tube until it would just slide down over the liner under its own weight. Used 2 part 4000 psi gap filling epoxy. Turned out excellent. 

Guys been there buying CF on the net — lots of them and never found one that fit the bill—> so i got a MFR to make me a mold to my spec and the results are out there. I may tighten up the clearance now that I know the MFR tolerance. 

Ernest

I check the site almost everyday waiting for the .25 700mm to get back in stock. That along with the barrel tensioner CF tube as I made my own free floating support piece with a scope ring plastic insert filed flat on the bottom so it clamps on the barrel and just the right clearance to slide on the air cylinder to keep it from drooping. I tried the barrel clamp and what I was afraid would happen did happen as the POI would shift even if I left the clamp part loose. The scope insert I made works perfect but not a perfect accessory in my opinion.