Does anyone use the Calypso ultrasonic wind meter?

I found a problem with the Calypso. With Strelok, only one person can be linked to the Calypso at a time. There is no access code needed. Fine if by myself, but if someone else at the range happens to connect to my Calypso, I’m locked out, with no way of using it. Any solution for this?
Yes, the instruction manual says that as soon as you disconnect from their default app (Anemotracker App) the Calypso is ready for connecting to any other device that has the Anemotracker App. So the Anemotracker App should have some sort of a passcode requirement or Calypso MAC ID recognition requirements in its code to prevent any other devices from connecting except your Calypso. But you could have to have someone with that same app there and also looking to connect to the same Calypso device (albeit with a different MAC ID). Or someone with a generic BLE utility app seeking out the Calypso for whatever reason and connects to it.

You are using it with Strelok Pro. If Strelok Pro does not have a way to request a pass code from the Calypso, or it does not filter connections based on MAC ID that would identify your Calypso, then it may be possible for someone to connect to your Calypso and then your Strelok Pro cannot connect to it.

A way to prevent that is to have the Calypso remain connected to the your Strerlok Pro all the time. You could enclose the Calypso entirely in a ball of aluminum foil until you are ready to connect to it. That should shield it from any BLE connection requests while sitting unused.

There may be a way to modify the firmware on the Calypso itself so it will require a passcode or MAC ID match to an incoming BLE request.

I would ask Calypso first. They are open to requests for firmware modifications. https://calypsoinstruments.com/contactus

The other option is to ask Strelok Pro, to add passcode or MAC ID verification to their windmeter-input BLE connection routine.

I had tried the aluminum foil. To keep the Calypso “invisible” until I was ready to connect. But even with the Calypso completely wrapped, it still connects.

The MAC ID is visible in the Calypso Anemotracker app, so that is not secure. A unique passcode (like used with routers) would be a good addition.

While connected on the Strelok Bluetooth screen, the Calypso is secure from other users. But when navigating to other Strelok screens, such as weather or changing rifles, the Calypso can be hijacked. My work around for now is to keep the Calypso Anemotracker app always connected. That holds the Calypso in reserve, and then when I press disconnect in the Anemotracker app, Strelok will then connect.

Maybe in Strelok, he could add a toggle to hold onto the Calypso, as long as Strelok is running, not just while on that screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: fe7565
I think that is not a "problem" in Strelok or the Calipso app, but in your phone BT setting to keep it alive.
At my range I am using a tablet that I dedicated to outdoor sports. The larger 8.5" screen is easier to see if too many details running on it, and also have an active SIM card.
The FX radar is most of the time connected, but when windy days I plug in my WeatherMeter - wind direction indicator. And my tablet is not BLE but BT only, - only one at a time - app can use the bluetooth service. If I switch to wind indicator I need to initiate the reading, if I switch back to Strelok I need to initiate the reading.
For this same reason I am actively tracking the 3rd party development with the FX rdar unit, I am going towards to separate the FX from the tablet.

I think that is not a "problem" in Strelok or the Calipso app, but in your phone BT setting to keep it alive….
I know it’s not a problem with Strelok. That’s just how it works. As long as I’m on the Strelok Bluetooth wind direction screen, Strelok keeps the Calypso connection alive. Switch to any other Strelok screen, and it releases the Calypso. That’s when it’s vulnerable.

My phone has iOS 16.2 and other than allowing Bluetooth on a per app basis, I see no BT settings that can be changed.

The Calypso is advertised as Bluetooth LE, but it does not allow more than one app to connect at a time. If the Calypso allowed multiple connections, I would not likely be having any connection issues.

... iOS 16.2 and other than allowing Bluetooth on a per app basis, I see no BT settings that can be changed....
Apple phone, I cannot help. With droids there is a better chance.
When I am inside Strelok I can switch between pages all the way the app is active, but once I switch to another app - let say FX radar - that switch the connection from A to B. I remember the droid OS was changed recently, and that is called now some security feature, I go now to ask the xda developers if any work around.