Does anyone stalk organic markets looking for permissions?

The title says it all, and some of you are probably going “what the bluster?!” However, have you?

Now that I am New Hampshire I am needing to rebuild my permissions. I have been scoping out some dairies, but with lots of food around I would say the pickings are thing per say. However, I know there are lot of organic farms around the region with plenty of pests.

I have been thinking about how best to get to know some of the farmers vs driving up to their door. See how many I can speak to in “one sitting.” I thought of maybe going to some of the less “professional” organic markets and shop for groceries there vs big box. In the process get to know the sellers and start with probing questions, i.e. hows the rabbit situation, etc.

I am just trying to be more focused or try to find some ways to speed up the process. Pounding pavement helps and I am doing that, but I don’t know the area, not a local, so etc. Also, I am sure the organic farms would be mainly night stuff, so need the gear for it too.

So is my thunking total wackers or do you think I could make some gain? Also, I am talking farmer markets in the countryside, not city.

If you're finally settled in your new living space? Then getting to know the local area is your best bet. Lots of scouting, which you've already done out west. Thing is lots of these farmers have pest, whether they have enough pests to make it worth your while? Is the question. I really enjoyed the ratting opportunities I had which were both 10 and 20 minutes away. Alas, those dairies are now gone, the last two in Ulster County, NY. So now my nearest possible ratting opportunities are 1-3 hours away. I simply don't have the time. Good luck in your search for new permissions.

Reactions: SHOMER
I think it’s a good idea. Where I’m at, getting permission to hunt big game on private land/farms is mostly a losing proposition for the newcomers to the area, but pests??!! -With nearly silent and really unintimidating “tools”, I’d think as long as you have a basic fundamental knowledge of how to deal with people-landowners in particular, you’d be welcomed. Light conversation leading to a trusting relationship will be your ticket. Once that ticket is granted, be damned sure you treat it like gold! Offer to help out with chores and work at the property in exchange for access. It serves several purposes- earn trust, learn the property, scout locations and become an advocate for the sport or activity. Farmer’s markets would be a good place to start. And the other golden rule- never upset mama on the farm!!!

Over the years as an avocado grower myself, I've experienced or found the organic community base as generally a mirror of society. In that it runs the full spectrum from elite fanatical purists to the more common sense folks. Wanting to just provide a good and healthy product with value for their communities. While balancing those ever changing societal razor thin modern economic realities just to stay in business.
I would humbly submit that you do a little social studies by paying a visit or two at any and all local farmers markets.
That should give you a more accurate asymmetrical picture of where to direct your precious time, to those who may secretly seek your services. Blackpaw ; have gun will travel good luck in your quest for those valuable new permissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon