Does anyone know user Tan_k ?

This is another example of why many think accessing or seeing the classifieds should be increased to 50-100 posts and 30+ days. Most scammers wouldn't work that hard. Will we still get them? Of course. But it will decrease them.
I've belonged to other forums that require a yearly "membership fee" for the privilege of selling/buying. That "might" curtail some of the scum around here. But you can't be too careful around here it would seem.

This is another example of why many think accessing or seeing the classifieds should be increased to 50-100 posts and 30+ days. Most scammers wouldn't work that hard. Will we still get them? Of course. But it will decrease them.
Could not agree more. I think it should be 100. Not only does it add more contribution to the forum with meaningful posts before they decide to descend into the abyss that is the classifieds, it keeps us and our gear safer.

Last edited:
Could not agree more. I think it should be 100. Not only does it add more contribution to the forum with meaningful posts before they decide to ascend into the abyss that is the classifieds, it keeps us and our gear safer.
100 meaningful posts is not at all hard to do here if you are truly interested in airguns.
I like the idea of 100 posts to gain access to the classifieds.

Tan_k and Gaga were accounts set up two and three years ago. These are not passing visitors seizing an easy opportunity. An individual (or individuals) who takes the trouble to set up sleeper accounts years in advance is someone likely to jump through most hoops. It sucks, but for them the low risk and high reward of internet scamming is worth whatever effort it takes.

Tan_k and Gaga were accounts set up two and three years ago. These are not passing visitors seizing an easy opportunity. An individual (or individuals) who takes the trouble to set up sleeper accounts years in advance is someone likely to jump through most hoops. It sucks, but for them the low risk and high reward of internet scamming is worth whatever effort it takes.
Especially when they read reports that the bluecoats wont get involved even in clear cases of theft, mailfraud, or forgery of money orders. Very little risk to them at all but potential big gains.

Its a sad world we live in anymore.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I think I’m definitely on board with the 100 post thing to gain access to the classifieds. Not because me and other blabber mouths could easily meet that requirement in a short time. It’s because if I could look over 100 posts by an individual, declare him a legit dude, then still get scammed by him, I could live with that. At least there was more to base my decision to send him money than 10 lousy posts.

I think I’m definitely on board with the 100 post thing to gain access to the classifieds. Not because me and other blabber mouths could easily meet that requirement in a short time. It’s because if I could look over 100 posts by an individual, declare him a legit dude, then still get scammed by him, I could live with that. At least there was more to base my decision to send him money than 10 lousy posts.
Agree 1.000%

the Classified here is extremely alive so requiring longer time and post will definitely help on a number of factors and will not diminish the best classified section on the history of airgun forums.

Isn’t it ironic how much we expect out of our guns, optics and ammo now. But we can’t expect a human being to prove legitimacy to use the classifieds. Expect a guy to work his a$$ off to show off his groups or give tuning advice. But heaven forbid we inconvenience him to use the classifieds. Dumb.

Isn’t it ironic how much we expect out of our guns, optics and ammo now. But we can’t expect a human being to prove legitimacy to use the classifieds. Expect a guy to work his a$$ off to show off his groups or give tuning advice. But heaven forbid we inconvenience him to use the classifieds. Dumb.
Honestly this is my favorite comment of yours ever.

I agree with the 100 post rule AND a small upfront fee to sell or buy in the classifieds. The fee would force scammers to provide a legitimate payment method upfront on a small amount, and hopefully make them more trace able if they do scam. The only problem with the 100 post rule would be the exponential jump in meaningless post from those trying to skirt the rule. I would like to see new members provided the forum and classified rules, agree to the TOS (terms of service) before joining AND be punished for violating the rules ie if you get caught putting up junk posts to gain access, the number of posts the number is doubled or tripled. I realize the goal is to attract new users to the site, but I place the protection of existing contributing members far above that.

In the end the classifieds are never going to be safe and secure. Fact of life. Put a bigger lock on a door and someone will just get a bigger crowbar to break it.

In the end each member has to be responsible for doing their own due diligence and cover their own _ss in any transaction.
yes but helping with a better deterrent would be helpful too. Most are looking for a quick easy scam that they dont have to put work into as they are often working multiple scams. Yes you'll still get the occasional ones that turn, but it will cut way back on it overall.

It wouldn't hurt to clean up the member list. Every 2-3 years delete the accounts that were setup but not used for a period of time. Say two years with less than 20 or so posts. That would eliminate any "sleepers" hiding in wait.
Someone creates an account then doesn't login for a year, they are either just lurking to see what is going for what or they forgot they did it. Figure the more serious enthusiasts will stick around and post more.
IIRC, logging in allows you to see the classifieds whereas not logging in doesn't show the gate at all.
Personally, I think making new members wait a minimum of 6-12 months before they can see the classifieds gate will bring more productive posts from the more serious joiners. Everybody knows there is a sale section on this forum, so most people signing up are doing so just to gain access and could care less about the rest. Hell, a few recently have said that was their sole intention right up front.
Honestly, I don't have a dog in this fight, just rambling. I think I've looked at the classifieds maybe 4 times since joining. I don't have to worry about getting scammed since in the years I've been on the forums, I feel I have a pretty good idea of who I can trust, and the few I've dealt with can trust me. I have a very short list.

Of course cleaning up the member list might reduce the actual number of real members. Wonder how that would affect the sponsors payments realizing they aren't reaching as many people that they thought they were.

Reactions: MysticalDragon