• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does anyone hunt with altaros slugs

Ask Centercut. We were shooting them out of his Panthera. I don't believe they were as heavy as 50 or 60 grain, maybe around 35ish. We were shooting at a 2" target @ 286 yards. He hit dead center, I was a pellet width away from the 2" target! (That's still MOSH - Minute of Squirrel Head) They were boat tail & not hollow points. Incredible accuracy!
BTW, .25 Panthera, 600mm.

Reactions: Hard2hurt223
Ask Centercut. We were shooting them out of his Panthera. I don't believe they were as heavy as 50 or 60 grain, maybe around 35ish. We were shooting at a 2" target @ 286 yards. He hit dead center, I was a pellet width away from the 2" target! (That's still MOSH - Minute of Squirrel Head) They were boat tail & not hollow points. Incredible accuracy!
Yeah I know they are incredibly accurate that is I switched to them you, centercut, and a few others are very convincing, just trying to find out I they are just as effective on game as they are steel and paper targets.

They are going to act almost exactly like a 22rf standard velocity RN lead bullet/non HP.
Clean pass through up to medium distances and farther out to a certain point which is going to be way out there because these retain velocity well due to the higher BC's.
In the vitals death will ensue shortly after but not normally immediately except maybe on the smaller game listed below.

I've shot Yotes in the vitals with my 22rf inside 100Y and the mentioned RN bullets and they ran off.
Shot Jack rabbits, cottontails, squirrels, prairie dogs with the 22rf as well. These smaller animals don't fair as well as the bigger ones and often drop right where I shot them. So I would assume the Altaros would do similarly because of heavier and wider cross sectioned projectile but a couple hundred fps slower.

As an aside I found the 50 grain 30 cal pellets worked even better than 22rf RN in the normal airgun distances on small game. I was surprised the thwack they provide and how the animal is affected - so 25 cal Altaros might do about as good.

Of course 22rf high velocity HP is more devastating still due to hydrostatic shock. Take it a step further to 22 magnum/800 fps faster and the results are more glaring. And so on....

Been a while since I shot a Jack so that'd be fun to try this winter with my V3 and Altaros.

They were 49.5 grain at 885 fps. That "slug expansion" fetish is just something to keep people talking. The round nose slug hitting a GS, even at 200 yards is devastating... I'm in the "if you can't hit it, you can't kill it" camp.

Altaros slugs are perfectly good at hunting especially given the accuracy and energy retention at longer range thanks to the outrageous BC. In case anyone wonders about “ethical” kill with these, the 60 grain queen slugs out of my dynamic at 300 yards has about 80 FPE……should be enough for ground squirrels most of the time.

Altaros slugs are perfectly good at hunting especially given the accuracy and energy retention at longer range thanks to the outrageous BC. In case anyone wonders about “ethical” kill with these, the 60 grain queen slugs out of my dynamic at 300 yards has about 80 FPE……should be enough for ground squirrels most of the time.
80 FPE will kill a squirrel if you hit anywhere on the body!

Reactions: qball and gendoc
I have shot a few critters and was able to recover my slug. Nice expansion on most. But a heart or lung on a yote it’s going a good distance. This is how I found this slug on a 10“turtle at 75 yds. 40 gr .22@885 fps.

93707140-D172-4522-A157-8F4EB3006C71.jpeg

Reactions: Hard2hurt223