• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my first PCP for me to think about?

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for someone who wants to purchase a PCP on a budget (like less than 1,000 bucks)

I already know about the Benjamin disco and marauder and I read Ted's review on the SnowPeak p12.
Does anyone know about any other PCP's that cost less than 1,000 dollars? So I can do some more comparisons.

Ted what do you think about a tuned SnowPeak p12 for my first PCP?

And what does anyone think about a Benjamin Discovery or Marauder as my first PCP?

Thanks to everyone who can help me out!

Gamo Coyote may be the cheapest pcp besides the disco on the market around. Pyramyd Air has them on their website there are several reviews on U- tube. Only negative is it is load. The marauder is an excellent purchase and Pyramid Air and Airgun Depot have package deals with a Centerpoint scope. Ted, somewhere reviewed this as a much improved scope. I have no complains with my .22. Many of the air gunners on this forum have several guns and many times, they have a Marauder for backup. The Marauder in my humble opinion may be the best value for getting started. They shoot the crossman pellets well and they are 1/2 the cost of JSB's. There are many U-tube videos showing the performance of the Marauder. If you check PA and AGD sites both have refurbished and open box discounts. I would not over look the Marauder .

$1,000 gives a lot of wiggle room, unless you want a pump, optics and rifle. Still that is very doable, can't go wrong with the maurader, but do you want power, accuracy, multiple shots? Do you want to use long heavy pellets? Does weight or length matter? Pyramid has lots of test videos as does youtube. Some of my faves:
1) Airforce TalonSS - accuracy, power, large air reservoir, ability to shoot long or odd shaped pellets, power is adjustable with no tools, and it is very quiet with the 12" barrel. Barrel length 12", 18" and 24", can be changed fairly easily, to different calibers if you want. Downside: single shot, non-adjustable trigger, high sight line above the bore and the looks turn some people off. I do own 1.
2) Benjamin marauder - good to very good accuracy, good power, repeater, smallish reservoir, fairly light with synthetic stock, muzzle shroud standard, adjustable trigger and it's tuneable with tools. Downside: 1 barrel length, some pellets won't fit in the magazine (single shot adapter available), pretty long.
3) Benjamin marauder pistol w/carbine stock, decent accuracy, power, very quiet and is short and handy. Power adjustable with tools. Downside: 1 caliber .22, magazine is fairly short, power is medium but adequate. 
4) Benjamin discovery, 2 calibers, decent power, decent accuracy, lots of shots, can use hpa or co2. Downside : 1 barrel length, no power adjustment, loud, so so trigger. 
Just a few that fit the bill that I have experience with. Some I would like to try:
Gamo Coyote, Hatsan 44 series and Walther Dominator 1250.Airgunsof Arizona has been running a special on the. .22 Dominator for 399.00, that is 150.00 off pyramid and it uses up to 300bar pressure, lots of shots, but you need a source of air that high!
Good luck!

I would agree with TonyT, if you want to get 120 yard range, it would be best go with a 25. The 25 caliber pellet handles the wind and distance better. At that range I would also add that you want a more powerful gun for a flatter trajectory. So the Marauder might be possible, but an Airforce Condor with a 24 in barrel will add significant power at the cost of being single shot. A factory 25 marauder is 35-40 fpe usually, and a factory condor 25 with 24 in barrel is 50-60 fpe (in my experience). A Marauder is $530 list, and a Condor is $695. Wait for a 10% off and free shipping deal and you can add a tank and fill station and stay under your budget. The brocock is a great gun, but it is not for those ranges. The disco is a great gun but the Marauder is more powerful. The Gamo & Walther sound nice, but they are new and the Marauder and Condor have tons of experience on the forum that could be valuable to you. The Talon is great (one of my favorites) but it does not have the reach the condor does. They are essentially the same but the Condor has a longer barrel (more power), it is not shrouded (unless you get the SS which has a shorter barrel) and the condor has more power from a hi flo valve.

All of the guns mentioned are good, you need to decide which is best for you.

I say a Hatsan AT44 quiet energy. You get them new for hi 400s and they're powerful and very accurate. They come in a long version which has more power. But if I could only have one PCP it would be the 22 cal Sumatra. It's accurate with cheap Crosman ammo from Walmart on low power and you can get up to 74 fpe with the really heavy ammo. Best of all it seem to shoot all ammo well. I've only found one pellet that wasn't accurate in mine. It's loud as hell on full power so you might want a LDC if you plan to shoot hi power. With the light 14 gr pellets I use the second click on the power wheel (there's 13 clicks) and it still shoot 900 fps. The 25 Sumatra is even more of a beast. But I rated the 22 cal higher because you can find 22 cal ammo everywhere.

"blackdiesel"But if I could only have one PCP it would be the 22 cal Sumatra. It's accurate with cheap Crosman ammo from Walmart on low power and you can get up to 74 fpe with the really heavy ammo. Best of all it seem to shoot all ammo well. I've only found one pellet that wasn't accurate in mine. It's loud as hell on full power so you might want a LDC if you plan to shoot hi power. With the light 14 gr pellets I use the second click on the power wheel (there's 13 clicks) and it still shoot 900 fps. The 25 Sumatra is even more of a beast. But I rated the 22 cal higher because you can find 22 cal ammo everywhere.

+1 on the Sumatra. If your cutting your chops and plan to sling a lot of lead the .22 is the one. If you ever see yourself hunting with an air rifle, the .25 is the answer.

Sumatra .22 ....carbine if you planing long hunts, rifle if you are mainly benching and staying close.

the power adjuster will take you from mild backyard shooter with lighter pellets to completely beast mode with heavy pellets and even cast slugs,

confirmed super accurate guns and not pellet fussy at all, just about everything shoots good out of them, less than 600 bucks after Pyramyd discount code.

I have the Marauder in 25 and appreciate the impact on game. Great trigger, magazine feed, and adjustable with tools. Only issue is I get 16 full power shots before velocity drops off. I am considering adding a extension to the air tube. I agree with Jobobo "Wait for a 10% off and free shipping deal and you can add a tank and fill station and stay under your budget." I might add they (Pyramid Air) have a buy 3 and get 1 free pellet deal. If you get a 25 go ahead and stock up with the free shipping. I understand all Marauders in 25 like the JSB Kings, and in 350 count they are some of the more affordable pellets in 25 cal. An advantage of the 22 is increased shot count and the Gen 2 will work with a 2500 fill pressure. You could get away with a steel scuba tank, fill station, scope, gun and some pellets for a grand. With the 25 you just about have to go with a carbon fiber tank setup that will set you back at least $600, a budget buster. If you can wait, I have seen refurb Marauders just under $400.

I too have been using the .25 Maurader for about 4 yrs now,mine is very accurate,I have made many shots past 100yds with this gun and it still surprises me how well it puts down starlings, and crows,squirrels,I did install the HDD after watching Ted install one on his gun,and it has increased my shot count to 26 very consistent shots till the poi starts to drop,I purchased it from pyrrimid air in a package with a leapers 4-16 X 50, and it has all functioned flawless for 1000's of pellets,I highly recommend the Maurader in .25 cal,waiting for my 2nd PCP to show up,FX Wildcat!!! In.25 

I come across a youtube vid with a maurader with a bullpup stock custom made, does anyone have any idea how much one would cost?
The reason I ask is because I love the idea of having a bullpup thats why I asked Ted what he thinks about the Tuned SnowPeak P12 as my first PCP.

Btw thanks to everyone for there coments I appreciate the info the maurader seems to be a popular gun it has moved high on my list of choices.