• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Does anyone fill their gun from compressor not a SCBA tank ?

All the time, yes.

When I am shooting at home I never use a tank to fill a gun. I will sometimes tether a smaller (3 liter) tank to a rifle which uses a lot of air, and if I am trying for best accuracy of groups. But it is usually top off the gun, shoot to the reg pressure, top off again, shoot, repeat.

I personally do try to leave my guns at or near the regulator pressure when stored, as I had heard on this forum that this might prolong the service life of the regulators. So every time I want to shoot, my first stop is at my compressor.

All the time, yes.

When I am shooting at home I never use a tank to fill a gun. I will sometimes tether a smaller (3 liter) tank to a rifle which uses a lot of air, and if I am trying for best accuracy of groups. But it is usually top off the gun, shoot to the reg pressure, top off again, shoot, repeat.

I personally do try to leave my guns at or near the regulator pressure when stored, as I had heard on this forum that this might prolong the service life of the regulators. So every time I want to shoot, my first stop is at my compressor.

Yes, everything he said :)👍

There are several types of oil that are popular: Hydraulic oil AW46 is in the manuals for Yong Heng but they no longer recommend it. There is Synthetic compressor oil, but this is for low pressure shop type compressors. The oil you want is a Synthetic High Pressure Compressor oil like Chemlube 751. It is $19.75 a quart at:

HTTPS:/bargainmarge.com/751-chemlube-quart-synthetic-compressor-vacuum-pump-oil-chemlube-751-qt-htm

I just ordered 3 qts

I fill my rifle directly from my Yong Heng

Curtis, Thanks for that info I've not heard of that one before. Shows costing me for 3qts. shipped 83.17 not cheap according to their website. 

Update: I called the place and they are having trouble with their shipping calculator so on the site they say call. Much cheaper shipping when I talked to them direct. And it sounds like the 751 is 40wt. if that is what we are looking for in this compressor . And from what I can tell the purple 100 is sae 30wt. 

Curtis, Thanks for that info I've not heard of that one before. Shows costing me for 3qts. shipped 83.17 not cheap according to their website. 

Update: I called the place and they are having trouble with their shipping calculator so on the site they say call. Much cheaper shipping when I talked to them direct. And it sounds like the 751 is 40wt. if that is what we are looking for in this compressor . And from what I can tell the purple 100 is sae 30wt.

Woody, There are several ways these compressors fail and one of them is when oil enters the second stage chamber and detonates because it is not designed to operate in a 4000+ PSI environment. The detonation places too much stress on the piston and breaks it by trying to drive it into the 1st stage piston that it is connected to. This is indicated by carbon deposits on the face of the 2nd stage piston. high pressure compressor oil prevents this failure mode. Many oils are fine for lubing the crank case because it is not under extreme pressure. But when that oil inevitable reaches the 2nd stage chamber, it is a problem waiting to kill your compressor.

Keep in mind that many people can say: Well, I've run XYZ oil for X many months/years and it works great; but that does not make XYZ oil the appropriate oil. I am happy for them that they haven't had a failure yet (the best we all can do is try to prolong the period of time before the compressor fails. When it does fail it is not difficult or expensive to repair.)

I'm not going to say anything bad about anybodys' oil other than to ask is it designed for 4000+ psi operation? Most oils commonly used in Yong Hengs probably are not. My initial research led me to use Husky synthetic compressor oil for the last 5 months. Now I know better and will be changing the oil out to an appropriate HIGH PRESSURE COMPRESSOR oil that has been recommended by industrial high pressure compressor vendors.

As others have wisely stated: heat is the primary killer of these compressors. Don't fill tanks to 4500psi (4300 or less). The spec says these are rated for 30Mpa. 30Mpa=4351PSI, not 4,500PSI like the ads say. Don't run extended periods (more than 20-30 minutes) without letting the unit cool down. (The electric motor is NOT cooled by the water, and it will overheat) Don't start the unit with pressure on the output side. Many people who love to tinker add elaborate cooling systems or dessicant systems, Bully for them, I'm all for doing what you enjoy. If that isn't your thing, follow a few basic recommendations like keep it cool, dry the output air, and best of luck to you. This is a great hobby

Cheers