Does a new in box scope come with a battery already installed?

Can anyone remember how times they left their illuminated dot or reticle scopes in the "on" position? If it's a dead battery...likely no harm and no foul. Likely someone at the factory left the illum. knob in the "on" position. Not a big deal if the scope is otherwise in new condition. Probably pilot error!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

"...battery??? Why...back in my day we had to illuminate our scope reticles with a flashlight!! Couldn't hit a damn thing till someone figured out we had to shine the light into the eyepiece, not the front lens..."

Just an update. Scope went back. Optics Planet is good on returns. I have decided that the scope was not necessarily defective, but the illuminated reticle on the Airmax scopes is not adequate for my needs. In the daytime it is barely visible no matter how high you turn it up, even if you are in the shade and your target is shaded. Not what I need for field target. I have a Sidewinder on the way. I have other Sidewinders and I know the reticle will light up. Even though it is $100 more, it's worth it to me.