• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you use MOA or MIL

US market and whatever is on sale. I prefer MOA just because the clicks are slightly finer but at typical airgun ranges it really doesn't matter much. All I care about is having markings in the reticle that I can use for holdovers. I also prefer an FFP but once again, I won't pass up a good deal on a SFP. Its only one extra step when changing zooms and figuring out hold over or turret adjustments.

I'm in the USA.

It depends on the shooting discipline.

Black powder shooters use tangent sights in 10th moa adjustments but you can do as fine an adjustment as you want with these. Their vintage scopes are in moa.

Most dominant scopes for rimfire and centerfire Benchrest comps, along with F-class, are in MOA and are SFP high magnification scopes. I would personally choose fine adjustments and for these matches I would most often use the rings on the bulls as aiming points so a basic reticle with only a few hashes is fine by me.

Service rifle is in MOA using irons and scopes but I've seen articles of special forces using FFP MIL/MIL scopes.

Most dominent for PRS and NRL are MIL/MIL.

Smattering of both for airgun comps. MIL has caught on and is used quite a bit these days. I was probably the first FT shooter here to use FFP MIL/MIL in this sport which had carried over to my tactical match roots starting 13 years ago.

The older /MILDOT reticle/MOA turret/ SFP scopes have been eclipsed by MIL/MIL and MOA/MOA. These were my first long range scopes and I always thought it was kinda a weird way to go about it. I sold them as soon as I could and back then went to Horus scopes that were FFP IPHY/IPHY which was got me my first long range rifle win and more afterwards.
Then went to FFP MIL/MIL which I settled on.
I use the reticle to measure POI and POA to compensate with and also use ballistic programs to give me firing solutions so using FFP MIL/MIL has not been a problem and I like it better because of the .1 mil/10th increments as well as a .1 mil click is larger than 1/4 moa which means I get more travel per revolution on the turret which I find more agreeable for long range. I also much prefer .2 mil reticles than any other for many uses.

MIL almost all the way for me. Handgun scope all seem to be MOA. I could go either way but find the multiples of 10 easier and try to keep it consistent so I don't have to make a brain switch each time.

I suppose for BR MOA is more granular as it's 0.25" @ 100 yards versus 0.36" @ 100 yards, but that's no bother for me as airguns aren't precise enough at 100 yards for it to matter.

I think it depends on how you visualize range. If you see something at 265 yds you know
1 MOA = 2.65". 1/4 MOA = about .7" . How much does a MilR = at 265 yds?
However, at 265 meters you know 1 MilR = 265 mm and .1milR =26.5 mm.
Both work fine if you use the same system to range and adjust. But converting meter to yards or vice versa introduces another step that you might not have time to make.