• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you think I messed up my Crown? :(

CP1

Mar 10, 2019
NC
Hey guys,

I turned the power knob from Max to 5 and back to Max, once.....with the gun cocked. Then a few minutes later noticed in the manual it states "NEVER adjust the power when the rifle is cocked. Doing so might damage the power adjuster wheel and will void your warranty".

Its shooting great. Just wondering if I F'd anything up at all...

Thanks

Probably not if you only did it once... just don’t do it again and you’ll be fine... I did it by mistake one time... My Crown shoots just fine... if you want to make sure... Chony the different power levels and see...

If it’s shooting well, then it’s fine... READ THE MANUAL... you’ll save yourself a ton of headache with guns like the Crown or the Impact. 

Probably not if you only did it once... just don’t do it again and you’ll be fine... I did it by mistake one time... My Crown shoots just fine... if you want to make sure... Chony the different power levels and see...

If it’s shooting well, then it’s fine... READ THE MANUAL... you’ll save yourself a ton of headache with guns like the Crown or the Impact.

I know....over at my car forum we say....RTFM :)

On my impact I had the level cocked. And I did not know you can't change hammer wheel. So I tired turning it and it was hard. I was like, wtf why is it stuck. Then I thought maybe it's cause I had it cocked. So de-cock it and the wheel was able to turn. It's pretty hard to turn the hammer wheel when it's cocked. Why would you even force it when you feel the resistance? When cocked it put a lot of tension on the spring and hammer wheel. The wheel is made of plastic and have dimples for each level. So try forcing it when cock can damage the wheel. Like others have stated. Once maybe its fine. But I wouldnt keep forcing hammer wheel while cocked.

The video in the link below shows the effects of friction on the FX power wheel. That friction is generated by the steel ball rubbing against the aluminum power wheel during normal use. The effect is even worse if the wheel is turned with the gun cocked.

I had both problems illustrated in the video on an earlier model FX Impact and FXUSA sent me a replacement wheel free of charge.

*If you decide to remove the power wheel, be very careful, there is very small steel ball and a spring under the wheel that can very easily be lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hzpd5jMbMQ

I think it probably does more damage when you go from a low power setting to a high one when cocked, as the pressure on the cam from the screw would increase. Going down in power you had some play as you were already at the max setting and the cam was increasing the gap between the hammer spring tension screw and itself. I’m guessing had it been cocked at 5 and you went to max it could have done some damage.