• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Do you think a cooking sub- section of Hunting thread would be a good idea?

What the heck thread still here I'll post one. Eurasian dove. Remove meat from breast. Pound flat tenderizeing mix 25% bread crums into flour. Bread then dip in egg wash and bread again. Any seasoning should be done before breading I like salt and pepper but don't be afraid to experiment. Fry till breading is golden brown. Easy as it gets but dang good.

I might have an answer to a cooking section, since we haven't heard anything from @Michael on it.

If a new thread was started with just a couple of recipes and then made a sticky, a sub forum wouldn't have to be created. Treat it just like the classifieds with no replies to keep it uncluttered, but can still get likes or whatever. When someone tries one, they can review it in their social feed with links, pics, etc.
Just a thought....

I’m game (pun intended).
IMG_3888.jpeg

Had some stupid cold weather this weekend and figured it was time to clean out the many bags of frozen squirrel legs. Grabbed some jars and the pressure cooker to just get them cooked and done for quick dumplings or soups. A chicken boullion in the bottom of each jar and an hour at pressure and 11 jars of legs are done. Now to sneak them in some meals when the wifes not looking.

• Haha
Reactions: AmosBurton
Had some stupid cold weather this weekend and figured it was time to clean out the many bags of frozen squirrel legs. Grabbed some jars and the pressure cooker to just get them cooked and done for quick dumplings or soups. A chicken boullion in the bottom of each jar and an hour at pressure and 11 jars of legs are done. Now to sneak them in some meals when the wifes not looking.
Can you expand on this process? I remember canning meat as a kid but no one I did it with survived long enough to pass on the knowledge or for me to remember the process.
Straight up pressure canning?
What goes in the jar? Just the legs and bouillon cube, water to cover?

Rabbit stew (bone in)
Cut your rabbit up so you have the four legs and the back section(I cut the back section into 2 pieces but it's not necessary)
Dredge the pieces in flour
In a dutch oven on medium heat add 3-4Tbsp of unsalted butter and brown the rabbit on all sides
Once browned, add one medium onion(thinly sliced) and a cup of celery(=about 3 individual stalks), salt and pepper, spices.
Let that sweat for a few minutes and then add 4 cups of water or chicken broth and 4 cups of dry red wine (I wouldn't know what a dry red is, I just used a cheap bottle of wine)
Bring that to a boil uncovered. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover and let cook for 2 hours

2hourslater.gif

After the 2 hours are up, add 2 cups of diced carrots, 4 med potatoes peeled and diced, and 4oz of sauteed mushrooms and cook until the veggies are getting soft(it's basically done once the veggies are soft enough for your taste, the next steps are optional).
You can thicken it with a flour and water mixture at this point if you want. Just make sure to stir the flour and water so there aren't any lumps before stirring it into the stew.
At this point we drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough on top of the still simmering stew and cover it back up. The dough takes about 10 minutes to turn into nice dumplings.
Enjoy!

And now I can go back to feeling like Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny...
Seriously! I went out hunting the other day after it snowed. Saw zero tracks. Went out on my lunch break and there were rabbit tracks all over my morning tracks!

bugs-bunny-carrot.gif

I was going to edit the recipe post but I decided to just add this 2nd post.
So between the veggie being almost cooked and adding the thickening flour/water mixture step, we removed the rabbit pieces and let them cool for 10 minutes and then de-boned them.
We added it back in and then added the thickener.

What we did was just for convenience when eating and isn't necessary.
We also skipped the dumplings. :-(

5C52F138-76D8-429E-AA7F-AA774CE58FEA_1_105_c.jpeg