• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

do you really need the right scope ring size?

all my scopes have always came with rings. so im curious can a 30mm scope fit inside a 1in scope ring? im having trouble finding 30mm local and would prefer not to order online if possible. looking at rings the top are held on with screws, wouldn't the slightly bigger 30mm scope still fit inside a 1in ring? 

fleet farm is usually my go to for gun stuff local but pretty much all the rings are 1in size....

ok thanks, i thought the screws would just be showing and was a cosmetic issue. any idea what ring height i should get for the barra 5x25x50mm? going on an avenger so the clip sticks up the top a bit. and im guessing the 50mm size is going to require some height but how much? i have a bushnell banner on it right now but i don't know the height of the rings on it, but the clip just barely squeezes under that scope/ring setup, it touches.

Don't mount it. If you want a more expensive scope I have a well respected well loved very much praised highly desired brand many many many will back up that its a fantastic bestest of the best brand ever!!! Athlon Argos 6-24x50 even up trade too and most importantly guaranteed more Athlon lovers than Barra and Alpha6 on this forum too. If you're not too critical of Perfect glass at the higher up magnification ranges then this one will be fine enough for you since you're comparing your scope only to a 3x9 non AO Bushnell Banner anyway. I'll even throw in rings too. The Athlon has a fancier reticle than the BARRA too. PM if interested.

Putting a 30mm scope in 1" rings is like putting a finger ring on 4 sizes too small. If you can get it on the finger dies.

Lol!

It is almost a 5mm difference and that is a lot, as you are trying to mate metal-metal.

Even a thousandths of an inch difference is already a force-fit.

Were it reversed--1 inch scope tube to nestle into a 30mm mount--it can be done with the use of inserts.