Do you pest control?

I've been thinking about trying to get into the "pest control business" for some time. I've seen a lot of videos and forum threads about folks who go to farms and take out pests like rats and birds for farmers. I'm not sure how to approach one about asking for permission to shoot their farm pests. Now obviously the basics apply, be polite and respectful, make sure to assure them you will not damage their property or disturbed their livestock unnecessarily. These are common sense of course, just as I would ask to fish farm ponds. But shooting is a fair bit different from throwing in a line and lure, for one there is always the possibility of a stray shot damaging property or livestock and all farmers are concerned about these things.

Have you had farmers let you pest hunt on their farms? How did you approach them, did you just drive to a random farm and speak with the owner? What points did you use to convince them to give you permission?

I have a few targets I can take along to prove my accuracy at a specific distance. Would it be a good idea to take these along as proof that I can be accurate with my shot?

Let me know your tips for getting into farms to hunt. Much appreciated.

Big smile. Take off your hat and sunglasses. Smile. Have your insurance information ready to show. Firm handshake and Yes Sir/No Sir.

Are you asking for permission or for payment or for trade? Ask how the landowner would like you to follow up with them... In person, by text/email or on a day by day basis?

As a landowner, I would want every possible effort taken to remove the pests after the shot has been taken. Dead stuff laying around is not very good for relationship building.

Have fun and let us know how you get along.

@JimNM

Thanks for the tips. Don't have any kind of insurance information as I'm fairly certain i don't have to be licensed. I did read up on pest control regulations in my area and the only thing I can find pertains to the use of chemicals which I prefer not to use at it is inhumane in my opinion.

As for free/compensation of services, that would be discussed with the landowner. Because I am out of employment at the moment, I am looking to be paid per body but nothing extreme, roughly $5 per bird and large pests at $10. I'm looking to make it into a small time business if possible.

As for removal, I'd say that removing a kill is common sense. Especially around livestock feed as that can spread disease to foodstuffs and to livestock which is the opposite purpose of pest control. Of course, this is all subjective as I have no clue where to begin. There is a farm just down the road from me that I cam begin with since their fields butt up against the development I live in.

Thanks for the tip about following up as well, I had considered the fact of doing so but had decided to leave that up to the owner to bring up. I'll make sure to bring it up myself as a part of being the responsible hunter.

Again, thanks for the great tips. I'm guessing your name implies you live in New Mexico, love that state. Used to live there and greatly miss it.

What state do you live in? If you are going to charge, chances are you will need to be licensed and have insurance. In some states, being a licensed pest control person means you also have to pass tests on your knowledge of poisonous chemicals. Most air gunners, including myself, are just happy to get permission to shoot on a farm or target rich environment without thinking about compensation. 

Reactions: Vana2 and Steveguy
@Calbarry

I'm not asking for compensation because I'm in it for the money, it's because I'm currently out of a job and looking to turn it into a job. I know that I'll have to be licensed to do it professionally, but to become licensed I need the money. Hence one of several reasons I'm asking cash compensation for my service. I may be able to get away with not being licensed for chemical use since I dont plan to use any. I find poisoning to be inhumane and lack of being able to retrieve the carcass becomes a health hazard, especially around feed for livestock.

Coming from a ranching/farming family myself, and pesting around family feedlots/etc. with airguns myself, you are not going to find a farmer/rancher willing to pay you $5.00 per bird. I can go spend less than an hour and drop 50 birds (Euro/starling/pigeon). Now multiply that by even an 8hr day, by a 5 day week (bankers hours of course), by 20 work days in a month by........ That's a lot of money! The sheer amount of birds that hang around feedlots is astronomical, and the ranchers understand that. I had a talk with my uncle when I first started whacking "pests" about invasive species, no hunting limits, etc. The conversation kept circling back to how they're not supposed to be here and he responded with something to the effect of, "there's so many that you could kill em all day every day and they'd just keep coming." In addition, the profit margins in the agriculture business are too small to make sense of paying someone to kill birds on a per/head basis. The profit margins in the agriculture business are too small to make sense to pay someone to kill birds at all, much less on a per head basis.

You're going to have much better luck finding someone willing to pay you to kill birds that has a couple nesting pairs of starlings in the hollows of a big tree they park under, or a squirrel going in and out of their attic, or chipmunks in their garden, etc. The scenario here is one specific problem critter (call him Joe the squirrel) not the thousands of his relatives that live in the wood lot behind the house of the attic that Joe likes to go in and chew on the wires of. I use that as a comparison to the rancher. There is no one problem bird causing problems for the rancher that he would gladly pay $5.00 bucks to have disappear. There are hundreds of thousands of problem birds. We're talking homeopathy here. One drop (or bird) in an ocean of birds. We're talking about removing 0.00000000000000001% of the collective army of grain eating birds. Oh well I'll get a bunch of birds you say, well say you get 50/hr/8hr day. Congratulations, you removed 0.000000000000004% of the collective army of grain eating birds (no I didn't count the zeros so don't bother fact-checking my math, just illustrating my point here). Simply not worth it to a farmer to pay someone to do that.

In regards to "pest control," I decided that my biggest motivator for whacking birds/ground squirrels/prairie dogs is just cuz it's fun to do. Yeah, yeah, I've heard all the justification of how much of a favor we are doing for ranchers/farmers but until you've sat at a feedlot and watched the birds come in, waves after waves after waves, you don't realize that it would take armies of guys with shotguns at ten foot intervals surrounding the entire place with unlimited boxes of shells standing watch from daylight to dark to even begin to put a dent in them. And once that pesting militia started to make any kind of impact in the bird numbers, the remaining 90% of the birds would learn to simply steer clear of the shotgun militia at farmer joe's (not related to the attic-squirrel). 

In conclusion, I'm sure you can get some permissions where they won't mind you coming and popping whatever critters are legal to do so. You may even be helping, a little. You'll have a blast shooting pests and you'll become much more accurate/know your gun better/etc. But, the best way to get a farmer/rancher to tell you no thanks, is if you start off with the benevolent offer of shooting birds, for the low, low price of $5.00 each. (you could always try the $4.99 trick the infomercial people do, or maybe an "introductory offer" of 2 for $4.99-but only if you act now-carcass removal fee extra).

Hopefully you wont take this as a rant, but rather a humorous attempt at helping you see it from the farmer/ranchers perspective.

@Franklink

I did find it humorous indeed. Love the sense of humor. But I wouldn't be out there as often as that, maybe 2-3 times a week as other priorities would keep me busy as well. It's more of a way to make a few bucks and try to start a business altogether until work comes along once more. I understand that I wouldnt be making such an impact and it's mostly for fun. But I also wouldn't start out with an opening line asking for pay, that would come after taking out a few pests and proving my ability to do so. It's also in hopes the farmer would understand a guy trying to make a few bucks to supplement some income for his family. I am aware that the agricultural industry is fairly low paying and most of what they make goes back into the process, but if I only get 5 pigeons in a day and I won't be back for a week then $25 a week is a fairly minor price to pay. I'd even be willing to help in normal work on the farm as needed. Some of that money would go back into the work as well since I have a very basic 4x32 scope which I'd like to upgrade to something with mildots and a bipod for stability. 

I plan to go talk to a farmer close by in the morning, I can use that as a starting point and see how it goes. If I get rejected then I move on to the next one, if they give me a trial run then I'll have a basis to start at and work up my credibility. Maybe if they are pleased with my work, I can get a recommendation to others about my service and so that my per head fee becomes less pocket intrusive. But won't know till I try at least.

I best be getting to bed though if I plan to be up soon. Already passed 1am and that's no good for an early start.

Stay scoped.

@X27
The only bounty we have that I'm aware of is for coyote, the Game Commission pays I think $50 per head but you have to bring in the whole body. I have two rifles I'll be using but only one is set up right now and that's the Ruger Impact Max .22 which is the most accurate using Crosman Premier Pirahna 14.3g. The other is a Bear River Arms Black Ops Sniper Rifle Jr in .177 that I'm trying to work the kinks out of because it doesn't want to sight in properly.

I plan on taking some time to talk to someone in our Game Commission jurisdiction about other hunting regulations and will ask them about other bounties as well.

I agree with franklink, for a small scale infestation you may find a taker or two. You could check with local warehouses that might have minor bird and/or rodent issues that would favor such an approach, but doubtless they would require you to have insurance and licensing. The farm/dairy/feedlot problem is beyond solving by one guy with an air rifle. They may appreciate your taking out a few birds but I seriously doubt you'll find anyone willing to pay, especially considering that people are willing to do it for free just for the fun of it.

If you're in northern Indiana or southern Michigan I am taking applications now and will be hiring 2 people soon but it's way more and way different than just shooting things or ditch trapping. You can check out my website at Ajmnuisanceanimalcontrol.com for more information. Driving, no fear of heights, and construction is most of the job requirements but I shoot things and hand catch them to.

I don’t get it! You say you’re not looking for compensation but you’re in it for the money. Both the same for me.

And youre going to have to have a business license and be bonded. Nobody will want to take a chance with you missing and damaging/injuring property. It sounds like you need to research your business before you look for work.

Reactions: Steveguy
"Dairyboy"As a dairy Farmer I'm just gonna say mulk price has sucked the last 2-3 yrs and don't see any dairyman paying any money to anyone for taking pests out. I could be wrong but doubt it.
The owner of the dairy here in AZ. where I shoot at tells me they are just barely holding on. So $5 a bird? I don't think so.

Actually, some businesses and companies do hire people to do pest control with air guns. Usually its national chains hiring national pest control companies. I have seen help adds for those pest control companies wanting to hire people that, among other things, would shoot house sparrows and rats with airguns (said so in the job description). They're not going to pay you by the animal, they're going to pay you by the hour.

If you want to work for yourself you'll probably want to look into becoming a licensed wildlife trapper, if such a thing exists in your state. In Florida, there are people who make livings in nuisance wildlife removal. Its hard work and you have to produce results. Competition is stiff. You might be called to wipe out rats one day and remove an alligator, a rattlesnake, or an escaped cobra the next day. When you get the job to remove X animal, you got to get it done and done fast. Depending on the animals you deal with, some state licensing and training is required. 

Something that comes up in Florida a lot is when new people move down here and want to hog hunt and they offer to do land owners a "favor" by removing their hogs without charging them anything. 50 years ago that might have been legit, but today hogs are worth big $$$ and landowners expect to be paid before they let you come out to their land to shoot a hog or two. Think about how popular airgun hunting is becoming. I wouldn't be surprised if some farms get offers of $$$ from pesters just to have the rights to shoot the pests for fun. So I think you'll probably have to try some of the national pest control companies. Let them know you have air gun skills, good equipment, and you're willing to do the dirty work. I've read some funny reviews by former employees of pest control companies who used to complain about setting up in the parking lot of a business after hours to shoot house sparrows with an air gun, as if they were being forced to squeegee a sewer line with their heads or something of comparable distaste. 

One way to improve chances is let farmer/rancher know you always leave gates the way you find them, whether open or closed. Also you don’t drive on roads when wet in order not to rut them up. Offer to pick up cans or trash others may have left and carry your own out of course. By showing you care about his operation might make a difference in getting permission. Hope this helps and good luck!

What state do you live in? If you are going to charge, chances are you will need to be licensed and have insurance. In some states, being a licensed pest control person means you also have to pass tests on your knowledge of poisonous chemicals. Most air gunners, including myself, are just happy to get permission to shoot on a farm or target rich environment without thinking about compensation.
I fall into this category.I have a 70 acre hay farm next door to my uncle.I was able to break the ice because my aunt was friends with the farmer’s wife.These people did not know me from Adam,and I just politely asked if I could take out groundhogs.My uncle was mumbling some non sense about how they would pay me for the groundhogs I shot on their farm , but I won’t hear of it.Hell,I would pay them for the opportunity to walk on and hunt or pest control anytime I want.

Reactions: rcarlisle
When asking permission to bow hunt on properties I'd offer to do some pesting for the owner. Typically rats, pigeons, groundhogs, porcupines and raccoons were on the shoot on sight list. Money was never a consideration.

The service for access to the property was always considered a fair deal. That I hunted with a bow and pested with airguns was a big plus. It opened opportunities where rimfires, center fire and shotguns were not welcome.

In addition to contact information, printouts of satellite images was one of the things that I would to the initial interview. It showed that I was serious, had done my safety homework (where buildings were, etc) and they could be marked up to show no-go areas, where to park and stuff like that. No owner wants strangers wandering around all over the property, the picture gives them control and comfort.

Reactions: JimNM