Do you need a permit to buy airgun in california?

Lmao. Are you serious? I can walk into a gun shop and walk out with a ar15 with no permit. So idk why anyone would think you need a permit. You only need a permit for handgun...real hand guns. For all airgun and rifle and shotgun. You only need a clean background check and you can buy them. As for airguns, you dont even need a background check. A criminal can buy one. So you serious bro?

ericmakiman --=--

Komifornia being as it is, you have a valid question. While powder burners are currently regulated with background check and waiting period plus no lead for hunting purposes), air guns are not a part of those regulations as they are NOT firearms. That said, it will only be a matter of time before Sacramento figure it out and creates regulations for air guns. Especially since other states allow big game hunting. That will be the demise of air guns flying under the radar as it were.

It's always good to ask the question, knowledge is a good thing. Now go buy yourself an air gun and have a LOT of fun. 

mike

For the life of me I can't figure out why people choose to live where their basic fundamental human and constitutional rights are trampled all over by hypocrisy laden politicians. Let them live in their own little world by themselves, there is a whole nation out here that welcomes good people who simply want to live their lives as they see fit as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

Lmao. Are you serious? I can walk into a gun shop and walk out with a ar15 with no permit. So idk why anyone would think you need a permit. You only need a permit for handgun...real hand guns. For all airgun and rifle and shotgun. You only need a clean background check and you can buy them. As for airguns, you dont even need a background check. A criminal can buy one. So you serious bro?

This poster does not fully grasp what goes on in other states than the one in which he resides. In states like New Jersey, Rhode Island airgun is considered a full blown firearm. In some other states there are restrictions for buying them and some jurisdictions like New York City have a restrictive municipal ordinance regulating air guns. Information about Illinois has already been shown.

With the current gun climate in Califonia, it is probably only a matter of time that air guns will hit the radar and if we in the sport keep showing what the big bores can do, the feds will step in.

1576326494_9170616695df4d55eb3a386.30545059_readImage.jpg

Unfortunately, Springrrr has hit the nail on the head. With the advent of airguns that look like ARs and the ability to kill at 350 yds, it is only a matter of time until benighted jurisdictions take regulatory action. This situation is not analogous to single shot muzzle stuffers. And if some pimply loser who has been unfriended by classmates on Facebook decides to collect his 15 minutes of fame by sniping at kids on a Micky Ds playground....

With there not being Walmart or for that matter Sporting Goods stores that have hunting gear in Daly City for the most part. I could see where someone when they finally walk into a Sporting Goods store would have questions.

Don't know why those that do not live in CA take any California post and twist it into some political nonsense about regulation and more.

To the original poster, there are plenty of NorCal members to this forum, including myself.

Nothing wrong with the grab and go air rifles, but with a little research, you can find much more gun for just about the same price or less in some cases.

This poster does not fully grasp what goes on in other states than the one in which he resides. In states like New Jersey, Rhode Island airgun is considered a full blown firearm. In some other states there are restrictions for buying them and some jurisdictions like New York City have a restrictive municipal ordinance regulating air guns. Information about Illinois has already been shown.

With the wingbats that are running Califonia, it is probably only a matter of time that air guns will hit the radar and if we in the sport keep showing what the big bores can do, the feds will step in.

Yep, agreed. 

I for one feel very blessed to in the San Francisco Bay Area...I never had a problem with gun ownership...yea I like Texas politics better,so what,I love my state and also Washington State and many others....People bash CA. too much,we have Great air gunners living here and car frecks to and a lot of other great people...keep you polidick out of it if you got nothing good to say about my beloved state..

With the wingbats that are running Califonia, it is probably only a matter of time that air guns will hit the radar and if we in the sport keep showing what the big bores can do, the feds will step in.

I'm not talking about other states. OP asked about California. I lived in Sacramento ca, and I can buy a real rifle and shotgun without a permit. So I dont understand anyone would think you need a permit in California to buy a airgun when you can buy a real firearm without it. In California, you only need a permit if you are buying a handgun. All rifle, shotgun, airgun, bow, xbow, slingshot, You do not need a permit.

in nj air rifles are considered firearms and you need your state issued firearms id card to buy one. a $ 39.00 BB pistol requires your firearms id card and also a handgun permit that must be applied for at your local police dept. one permit for each handgun purchase and its only good for 90 days. after that you need to reapply and go through backround check as well as mental health check. local police then state police then federal...its no joke

"I'm not talking about other states. OP asked about California. I lived in Sacramento ca, and I can buy a real rifle and shotgun without a permit. So I dont understand anyone would think you need a permit in California to buy a airgun when you can buy a real firearm without it. In California, you only need a permit if you are buying a handgun. All rifle, shotgun, airgun, bow, xbow, slingshot, You do not need a permit."

A couple of things with the above statement;

1.) While a 'permit' is not needed, a Firearms Safety Card is. If you don't have one, you cannot buy ANY firearm in California. So, technically that Safety Card is a permit to purchase.

2.) The 10 day wait is universal, it's a wait no matter what firearm is purchased, long gun, shotgun, handgun. All require a 10 day wait. You cannot as you state, "buy an AR and walk out with it".

3.) You are correct for the bow, xbow, slingshot not needing a permit however.

The laws in California are tough, there is no doubt about that, but the OP was asking a legitimate valid question, you chose to flame with a "lmao" comment. Flaming is NOT what this forum is about, it's about lending a hand for a better knowledge base.

mike

I live here. Because i had a profitable business that has allowed me to retire in comfort. I have lived in many states and a few countries. I would move now if you can tell me where i can live for nothing and do what i want!. I think we're 50 yrs late my friend. Yes, Illinois is a s#÷/ h[>< but the southern part is livable. Almost like peasantville Ukraine!