Do You Like Your FX Pocket Chronograph?

My FX Pocket Chronograph is finicky. I'm doing all the right things including placement, using fresh lithium batteries, updated FX Radar app, etc. I've shot using this chronograph mounted on top of the barrel, below the barrel, as well as on a tripod below the barrel, and simultaneously shooting over my CE ProChrono DLX. The FX misses a shot or two in a 10-12 shot string and it also registers one or two shots fps very different than the shot string (maybe 30-40 fps different) while the ProChrono registers every shot and the fps in the shot string is pretty close. I've emailed FX-USA but have not heard back yet. From experience I know they will be responsive, just wondering if anyone else is having issues.

Update: I found that positioning is the key to accuracy and repeatability. And position is, or may be, different for every rifle or caliber. I had been mounting it under the barrel of my M3 and also my Marauder and I was getting squirrely results. I believe it was to close to the muzzle of the guns. I put it on a small tripod and moved it 4-5 inches back from the muzzle (on the M3) and it now works perfectly. I also "invented in" lithium batteries that much improve battery life and consistence.

Maybe you have a dodgy one, mine are generally working just fine, though it do occasional miss a pellet, but very rare, i have used strapped under barrel mount and are now using on little tripod / gorilla pod mount.

I have used regular alkaline batteries but have just procured 12 AAA sized NiCa batteries

I have not messed around with it, just entered new profiles for the different pellets i am trying, you could try and mess with the minimum return values in the settings to see if that help, i am using the default setting here for my.177 shooting.

I love my fx chronograph, mine is mounted underneath my barrel. 

I had a problem with mine when I first got it, the sensor was coming out and making a bad connection (probably during shipping) and was missing 1/4 of the shots.

Take it apart, you will see where the sensor plugs in, put a small dab of super glue on the edge of the connector where it doesn't touch the terminals and push it all the way in, the sensor will then be angled to pick up the projectile. 

I haven't missed a shot since. I posted the issue here a while ago under a deleted profile.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-chronograph-2/

20201217_132531.1608240412.1645236719.jpg

20201217_132907.1608240561.1645245603.jpg

Yes, but I do have to mount it back about 8 inches from the muzzle. I took an old scope ring, half inch PVC pipe, and a couple straight connectors. The straight connectors fit inside the scope ring nicely. cut a piece of pipe to length and instant picatinny rail mount for the chronograph. It took some experimenting to see where it was accurate, but now it seems to work fine.

Reactions: dh1200s
I have mixed feelings. Hoping my external battery mod fixes some of the issues. Probably not going to mount it to a barrel again either, seems to work better sitting on the bench.

My 25 cal pellets were really good, slugs from my 357 were not reading reliably. Turned the return rate down to 10% and got better readings but how accurate are they going to be. Haven't shot with the external battery, but a good solid power supply might help, at least I hope so.