Do you keep your pcp “filled” with air?

My tendency is to refill my guns after I shoot them down to the “need to refill“ level. I have an electric pump and wondering if this is a good idea or irrelevant as I can fill them fairly quickly. I suppose I could put a little back in it just for emergency shots at a starling or crow. Of course the real answer is to get a larger air tank to fill it quickly when needed but I don’t have one of those “yet” . So, is it harder on the gun to keep it filled with air or am I worrying about nothing? I have an FX Impact and Benjamin Marauder.

I do not refill after shooting mine down. I keep them at about 10bar above the regulator pressure, for the reason you mentioned in your post -> If I need to use one for an emergency invading critter.
Not sure if keeping them "full" is good or bad. But it seems to me full pressure would put unnecessary strain on the seals. Just my opinion.

I keep them topped off as much as I can if my tank is running out then I'll wait but otherwise I like to keep them up a ways not really any extra strain on anything and if you keep a mental note I try to fill them to 200 bar or about 3000 psi that way I know if I developed a leak or not and always got one at least ready to go

Reactions: SHOMER and 450BM
i try to keep mine always filled to the ideal pressure, it varies by gun .. where i live its a regular stream of pests and predators thats why i have pcps, my 'grab' guns need to always be ready, doesnt hurt them, my mrod 25 has sat ready since '12, thats what i grab when its larger and survival of the offending pest isnt optional lol .. i have options these days though, sometimes i dont want to have to bury something and a tactical 'dusting' with a lighter gun is more desirable lol .. either way though, guns need to ready , mags filled, actions clear, sighted in, scopes set to a happy medium 30yds or so, so when duty calls its one two three THWAAP ..thats right, thats what ya get ..

Last edited:
Reactions: PumaCarl and 450BM
Only unregulated guns here,.....It just happens that after 2 magazines I'm in the 100 BAR range and that is where I put them away, that gives me the option to have a couple of shots if I quickly need them and also since I know the pressure I put all my guns away with if I suddenly see a lower pressure I know I have a leak

Reactions: 450BM
I have learned that it is far better to get over being worried or hassled about changing o-rings and they are no longer a consideration. They are expendable and will eventually fail, - it's part of the sport. Learn how to do it and keep your guns fully ready to shoot. That's what they're for. Unless you collect paperweights. JMO